Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Revised 350evo Short Throw Shifter (install/review)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
crayons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revised 350evo Short Throw Shifter (install/review)

So for those of you who don't know, the 350evo shifter contains a bearing design meant for smoother shifting. A concern that I had before getting a short shifter was that for the Rogue and B&M reviews, people mentioned that shifting became a bit more notchy.. and considering our gearbox the way it is, there was no way I wanted my gearbox to be more notchy . So when I read about the ball bearing design in the 350evo shifter, I became immediately interested.

In the last long thread about the 350evo shifter, most people discovered that they had to torque the bolt at the bottom of the shifter to around 5-6 ft/lbs. (This was usually done by twisting the bolt finger-tight and using Loctite Threadlocker.) Shifting would remain smooth, although there was shifter rattle above 4000 rpms. If the bolt was torqued any more than 5-6 ft/lbs, shifting would become extremely difficult because the bolt would lock up the bearing, but shifter rattle would go away. So the general concensus was 5-6 ft-lbs.

So... onto the redesigned 350evo shifter. When I ordered the 350evo shifter, BJ said that he had redesigned the bearing so that there was a groove for the shifter bolt: this way, the bolt could be tightened without infringing upon the bearing. But it took about a month to receive the shifter, and knowing how busy BJ is with things, I received the shifter in the mail without any instructions, notes, or email notices. And so at first I couldn't tell if he sent me a redesigned shifter or simply one that they had in stock (because I had been bugging him about it incessantly, sorry ).

So during install:

1. I first followed the general opinion of torquing the bolt to 5-6 ft/lbs. I drove around for a week on this setting and I always got shifter rattle at 2000 rpms and above in any gear (which was driving me crazy). However, the shifter shifted beautifully: silky smooth, no additional notchiness, and I always heard the great "snick" whenever the shifter entered each shift gate. The vague feeling of whether or not you're actually in gear with the stock shifter was definitely gone.

2. The following weekend I jacked up the car and played around with the bolt: I tightened it as far as it could go with my 12mm open ended wrench (without using excessive force). When I got back into my car, I noticed that shifting without the clutch (car off) felt exactly the same as when it was at 5-6 ft/lbs. So I lowered the car, cleaned up, and took the car for a test drive... and the car still shifted exactly the same (a.k.a., beautifully), but now the shifter rattle was gone at all RPMs. I redlined in first, second, third, and took it a good way through fourth and there's not a peep from the shifter. And again, the "snick-snick" smoothness of each shift was awesome.

So, just wanted to share my experiences . I know there are a lot of reviews with the Rogue, Mossy, B&M, and a few others. And the only thread on the 350evo shifter is that long 9 page one.. so I wanted to offer up a thread on this redesigned one. And you all know BJ, he's always too busy to advertise his products, so here's one satisfied customer who's doing it for him .

33% reduction in throw, no additional notchiness, great shift gate feel, and no rattle. Two thumbs up for the 350evo shifter!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

good review, thanks.

I wonder how someone would know if they're getting the new one versus the old one.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 35ounces
good review, thanks.

I wonder how someone would know if they're getting the new one versus the old one.
+1
So with this ball bearing design if the stock shifter is a 5 out of 10 in smoothness, what would you rate shifting smoothness now? Same, slightly better? Or slightly worse? Good review, you got me interested in this.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:26 AM
barthelb
Master

Yeah very good question alberto. With stock being 5 out of 10 whats the new one huh? Enquiring minds want to know.
Also I drove a Vette with a short throw and it was stiff as hell and could really tell what gate I was going in. Any experience in how difficult or easier shifting into the correct gear was?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Machupo

nice -- yet another great product from 350evo... now that BJ has solved the rattling, looks like i'm going to have to pick up something new
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
G3po

Originally Posted by crayons
So for those of you who don't know, the 350evo shifter contains a bearing design meant for smoother shifting. A concern that I had before getting a short shifter was that for the Rogue and B&M reviews, people mentioned that shifting became a bit more notchy.. and considering our gearbox the way it is, there was no way I wanted my gearbox to be more notchy . So when I read about the ball bearing design in the 350evo shifter, I became immediately interested.

In the last long thread about the 350evo shifter, most people discovered that they had to torque the bolt at the bottom of the shifter to around 5-6 ft/lbs. (This was usually done by twisting the bolt finger-tight and using Loctite Threadlocker.) Shifting would remain smooth, although there was shifter rattle above 4000 rpms. If the bolt was torqued any more than 5-6 ft/lbs, shifting would become extremely difficult because the bolt would lock up the bearing, but shifter rattle would go away. So the general concensus was 5-6 ft-lbs.

So... onto the redesigned 350evo shifter. When I ordered the 350evo shifter, BJ said that he had redesigned the bearing so that there was a groove for the shifter bolt: this way, the bolt could be tightened without infringing upon the bearing. But it took about a month to receive the shifter, and knowing how busy BJ is with things, I received the shifter in the mail without any instructions, notes, or email notices. And so at first I couldn't tell if he sent me a redesigned shifter or simply one that they had in stock (because I had been bugging him about it incessantly, sorry ).

So during install:

1. I first followed the general opinion of torquing the bolt to 5-6 ft/lbs. I drove around for a week on this setting and I always got shifter rattle at 2000 rpms and above in any gear (which was driving me crazy). However, the shifter shifted beautifully: silky smooth, no additional notchiness, and I always heard the great "snick" whenever the shifter entered each shift gate. The vague feeling of whether or not you're actually in gear with the stock shifter was definitely gone.

2. The following weekend I jacked up the car and played around with the bolt: I tightened it as far as it could go with my 12mm open ended wrench (without using excessive force). When I got back into my car, I noticed that shifting without the clutch (car off) felt exactly the same as when it was at 5-6 ft/lbs. So I lowered the car, cleaned up, and took the car for a test drive... and the car still shifted exactly the same (a.k.a., beautifully), but now the shifter rattle was gone at all RPMs. I redlined in first, second, third, and took it a good way through fourth and there's not a peep from the shifter. And again, the "snick-snick" smoothness of each shift was awesome.

So, just wanted to share my experiences . I know there are a lot of reviews with the Rogue, Mossy, B&M, and a few others. And the only thread on the 350evo shifter is that long 9 page one.. so I wanted to offer up a thread on this redesigned one. And you all know BJ, he's always too busy to advertise his products, so here's one satisfied customer who's doing it for him .

33% reduction in throw, no additional notchiness, great shift gate feel, and no rattle. Two thumbs up for the 350evo shifter!
Does the 350EVO shifter still use the OEM style , plastic shifter cup?
If so , has it been modified in any way , such as O-rings llike the Mossy?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
G3po

Originally Posted by Machupo
nice -- yet another great product from 350evo... now that BJ has solved the rattling, looks like i'm going to have to pick up something new

I will play devils advocate here. Though the "rattling" on this installation is gone, I am still skeptical that it will be non-existant on "all" installations. Especially those with lightened flywheels etc. So far I've tested 4 differnet versions of shifter. Some combos rattle on mine and not on others and vise versa. My forth combo on my G is still rattle free, but might not be on other installations. Not to discredit BJ and 350EVO at , I've had their sways fro a year now and can't be happier with them.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G3po
I will play devils advocate here. Though the "rattling" on this installation is gone, I am still skeptical that it will be non-existant on "all" installations. Especially those with lightened flywheels etc. So far I've tested 4 differnet versions of shifter. Some combos rattle on mine and not on others and vise versa. My forth combo on my G is still rattle free, but might not be on other installations. Not to discredit BJ and 350EVO at , I've had their sways fro a year now and can't be happier with them.
Is the rattle just a visual type deal where the shifter just rattles, or does it also create an annoying buzz like 2 beez humping? If the ladder, Id pull that off my car in an instant.....but I could live with a little shifter motion.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
crayons

barthelb: If the stock shifter smoothness is a 5/10, then I'd rate the 350evo shifter as a 7/10. Again, I'd like to stress though that the purpose of this shifter is to reduce the throw and the bearing was only meant to prevent any additional "notchiness" because of the shortened throw. I wouldn't suggest you get this shifter solely because it might make your gearbox shift smoother.. but you can be sure that the shifter won't give you any more notchiness in your shifts. If your gearbox is tough, get some Redline synthetic tranny oil (that's what I did ).

G3po: It uses the OEM style plastic shifter cup. Like BJ suggests, I bought another OEM shifter cup so that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of removing the old one. As far as the rattle, a lot of people say that it can be car specific. I've never tried any other shifter and so I wouldn't know, but as far as the 350evo.. it seemed that the rattle was because the bolt wasn't as tight as it could be (same with the old version). With the ability to tighten the bolt more than just finger-tight, the rattle issue has gone away completely, at least for my car.

Alberto: It's an audible buzz like a whole hive of bees humping haha . I don't think I would have minded so much if it were 4000 rpms and above like the old version, but my buzz was almost all the time I was in motion when the bolt was at 5-6 ft/lbs. But again, I think that 5-6 ft/lbs. is too loose on the redesigned shifter. Once I tightened up the bolt (and made sure that the shifter cup had plenty of lithium grease while I was at it), I get no shifter rattle at all RPM's, despite the warning on 350evo's site that says: "***This 350Z short shifter is a solid 350Z RACE shifter which will transmit any transmission noise straight into the 350Z's cockpit. If you want a 350Z shifter that is noise free, the Rogue 350Z shifter is the way to go***"
Old 06-02-2005, 02:47 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by Alberto
Is the rattle just a visual type deal where the shifter just rattles, or does it also create an annoying buzz like 2 beez humping? If the ladder, Id pull that off my car in an instant.....but I could live with a little shifter motion.
I've experience about several types of rattling , all audible, mostly in 1-3 gear. But then again I also had audible rattling when going off throttle in 5th gear at ~140mph , this was with my Rouge and the OEM shifter cup. I resolved that by useing the Mossey O-ringed cup with the Rouge.
I am intrigued an may also try the new 350EVO shifter. That would be the 5th configuration I have evaluated. Current Rouge with Mossy cup is quiet everywere , but a little notchier than ideal.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
G3po

barthelb: If the stock shifter smoothness is a 5/10, then I'd rate the 350evo shifter as a 7/10. Again, I'd like to stress though that the purpose of this shifter is to reduce the throw and the bearing was only meant to prevent any additional "notchiness" because of the shortened throw. I wouldn't suggest you get this shifter solely because it might make your gearbox shift smoother.. but you can be sure that the shifter won't give you any more notchiness in your shifts. If your gearbox is tough, get some Redline synthetic tranny oil (that's what I did ).

G3po: It uses the OEM style plastic shifter cup. Like BJ suggests, I bought another OEM shifter cup so that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of removing the old one. As far as the rattle, a lot of people say that it can be car specific. I've never tried any other shifter and so I wouldn't know, but as far as the 350evo.. it seemed that the rattle was because the bolt wasn't as tight as it could be (same with the old version). With the ability to tighten the bolt more than just finger-tight, the rattle issue has gone away completely, at least for my car.

Alberto: It's an audible buzz like a whole hive of bees humping haha . I don't think I would have minded so much if it were 4000 rpms and above like the old version, but my buzz was almost all the time I was in motion when the bolt was at 5-6 ft/lbs. But again, I think that 5-6 ft/lbs. is too loose on the redesigned shifter. Once I tightened up the bolt (and made sure that the shifter cup had plenty of lithium grease while I was at it), I get no shifter rattle at all RPM's, despite the warning on 350evo's site that says: "***This 350Z short shifter is a solid 350Z RACE shifter which will transmit any transmission noise straight into the 350Z's cockpit. If you want a 350Z shifter that is noise free, the Rogue 350Z shifter is the way to go***"

I also run Redline MT90 , and it helped smooth out synchro operation noticeably.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

crayons .. Thanks for your excellent review and update regarding the 350EVO shifter.

I am surprised that there has been a change in the shifter -- since there has been:

1/ no notification from BJ
2/ no change or update on the shifter explanation on the 350EVO website
3/ no update from BJ when I spoke to him last week as I was in the US -- he said nothing when I asked him about any shifter change

Well .. going to call 'ol BJ .. and get an explanation.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:40 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont understand where exactly the rattle is coming from... with any shifter?

i installed a rogue shifter in a customers car and there was a rattle, but it was obvious where it was coming from. I took out the little metal spacer that goes under the shift **** and then that was it, quiet as stock...

what part of the shifter is actually making a sound? I have had limited experience, one of these days ill pick up a 350evo shifter for my car.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 AM
amolaver

and how much is the shifter?

ahm
Old 06-03-2005, 08:54 AM
G3po

Originally Posted by phunk
i dont understand where exactly the rattle is coming from... with any shifter?

i installed a rogue shifter in a customers car and there was a rattle, but it was obvious where it was coming from. I took out the little metal spacer that goes under the shift **** and then that was it, quiet as stock...

what part of the shifter is actually making a sound? I have had limited experience, one of these days ill pick up a 350evo shifter for my car.
That little metal collar has never been were my shifters have rattled.
In general with short shifters since the lever below the fulcrum is longer than the level above, any resonance (which is even there on the OEM) gets amplified. Sometime a heavier shift **** is enough to damp out resonance , sometimes not. Here is were resonace was manifest on my diff setups.

a) Rouge, at first if the guide plate were adjusted just a tad too close to the "lock out knub" it would rattle there at high RPM , off throttle in 5th gear. This was resolvable by opening the gap slighty beyond recommendations. Rattle gone , but shifts into 6th became a little notchy.

b) Mossy, main resonance in 2nd and third at RPMs above 4k, all coming from the platic locking collar. This could be corrected if the collar were made to grab the shaft when locked. Mossy added O-rings to the shifter cup to reduce it , but it is not 100% gone.

c) Put the Mossy O-ringed cup on the Rouge, been driving this way for 6 months , no notable rattles and the guide plate is adjusted with 0 gap. The only negative about this set up is that it is overal notchier in all gears than OEM , but more precise.

I may just have to try the 350EVO on for size. MAybe even it with the Mossy cup.

Last edited by G3po; 06-03-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:06 PM
crayons

G3po: Do you have a picture or diagram by chance of the Mossy cup? I'm a bit curious as to how the redesign of that would prevent rattling, or where the O-rings go. If anything though, the 350evo is definitely not notchier than stock (IMO it's much smoother, but I don't want to advertise it as that haha). I actually run a 1:1 mix of Redline MT90 and Redline MTL. I remember reading the advice way back from I forgot from who, but it also definitely smoothed out mine synchros too.

fairladyZ: Well, here were the emails that BJ sent me:

Apr 11: "We are working on being able to tighten the bolt down more and still enabling it too be smooth. We are trying to find a ball bearing with a slight shoulder in the middle that the through bolt will crush onto and not the bearing. That is what makes the shifter tight if over torqued. This may also reduce the rattle."

Apr 22: "The shifters are still getting updated. We are having a hard time finding a bearing with the correct dimensions with a slight shoulder to them."

May 10: "I have the shifters back and will ship out today."

Based on the emails, I wasn't sure either if I got anything redesigned since he didn't give me any additional advice or instructions. But let me know what he says .

phunk and G3po: I actually wasn't sure exactly where the rattle comes from either. With the car jacked up, I looked everywhere for some kind of metal to metal contact. I understand that any vibration from the transmission would be amplified by the shifter, but wouldn't the shifter actually have to hit something to produce the rattle? My friends and I guessed that for the 350evo, it might have been the bearing. Since the bolt wasn't tight on it, then it would rattle against the actually shifter. Tightening the bolt did make the rattle go away, but I'm still curious as to where the rattle was really coming from (since I'm not sure if the bearing was the real culprit). Maybe tightening the bolt also prevented excess vibration in the shifter so that it wouldn't vibrate against the guide plate?

amolover: Off of www.350evo.com, I believe it's $165. The Nissan OEM shifter cup is $11-$12.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:44 PM
G3po

Noise, a source of rattling , some call it "buzzing" occurs even on the OEM insde the tranny within the "gate". By changing the moment arm and amplifying that internal rattle, the sound that was once not audible can become so. For example, when you pluck a guitar string, you may not hear the actual pluck itslef but you hear the amplified resonace of the string with the air. So the top side of the shifter does not necessarily need to touch something else (a solid) to transmit sound. In my case there were definate intances of metal to metal/plastic contact above the fulcrum (I'd calll that a rattle), were a some have heard buzzing.

Sorry , wasn't able to fine a soft picture of the Mossy O-rings. There are two orange O rings place about .5 inches apart around the perimiter of the white plastic socket-cup. The cup was grooved to accept these two o-rings. They basically take up the tolerance between the cup and the housing , so when your hand is off the shifter the cup "floats on rubber rather than plastic rattling in aluminum.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

fairladyZ: Well, here were the emails that BJ sent me:

Based on the emails, I wasn't sure either if I got anything redesigned since he didn't give me any additional advice or instructions. But let me know what he says .
I received the following immediate response from BJ (great customer service and products):

Long story short. As I am right in the middle of about 10 things.
We are doing an update to the shifters. We have done one but are looking to do another one that would be even better.

We are hoping it can be just an updated bearing. Right now we placed a spacer between the two bearings.

We are working on it.
Cheers
BJZ

crayons appears to have version 2 .. and version 3 is in the works.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 AM
mena661

Any word on this "version 3" shifter from 350evo? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by mena661
Any word on this "version 3" shifter from 350evo? Thanks.
Quiet as a church mouse .... send PM to BJ last week for an update.

Quick Reply: Revised 350evo Short Throw Shifter (install/review)