Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Top Speed On Turbo 350's

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:28 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so are you saying I shouldn't assume he has an autoban in his backyard then?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
so are you saying I shouldn't assume he has an autoban in his backyard then?
for all you know he is vacationing in the salt flats and wants to top out his car. that's ok just keep calling people stupid because they are not into the same stupid chit you like.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:45 PM
liquidsilver350

lol...sentry you really need to get l@id! lol....if i spent between 5 and 8 grand on my turbo i wanna know what its gunna do. I wanna know the 1/4 time and what does up top! Since the designers never intended for the car to go past 160 just wanted to know if anyone out there has the B@lls to do it! Ive seen tons of vidoes of the twin turbo supra goin 180 190 and in one case looked to be 200! Plain and simple i want a video!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:47 PM
liquidsilver350

4 god sakes Matt Sherman did 312mph NOW THAT TAKES B@lls!!!! lol
Old 08-22-2005, 05:19 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck liquidsilver350,

I'd be weary about attempting it with just a normal bolt on turbo kit though.

Things to consider would be getting an oil cooler, built engine, fuel return system, larger radiator, a body kit with some downforce, maybe a vented hood, and some tires that are rated to go 190-200mph. A rollcage and 5 pt harness would probably be smart too.

You're going to have to be holding your foot at WOT for quite a while to reach 180-190mph or so on weaker gearing. The Koenigsegg which currently holds the top speed record on a road car took 40 seconds of WOT to reach it's top speed. That car also has 12 liters of oil in a dry sump config compared to maybe 6.5 liters on the Z at best without a dry sump. It's made from the ground up to handle stress.

sex life isn't an issue here. I still don't think I'm being too far out of line in this discussion about top speed and cautioning some of the people that do like driving to work at 160+mph. It's a different game when you take every safety precaution and use an event like going 180-190mph as a promotional thing for your company and sponsors to set a record vs other people who want to try going that fast not realizing all the factors

and on another note, talking about 1/4 mile, road courses, autocrossing, etc I fail to see how accelleration, handling, and driver skill would be "stupid" in a sports car. But yeah, to each their own.

Last edited by sentry65; 08-22-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by liquidsilver350
lol...sentry you really need to get l@id! lol....if i spent between 5 and 8 grand on my turbo i wanna know what its gunna do. I wanna know the 1/4 time and what does up top! Since the designers never intended for the car to go past 160 just wanted to know if anyone out there has the B@lls to do it! Ive seen tons of vidoes of the twin turbo supra goin 180 190 and in one case looked to be 200! Plain and simple i want a video!!!!!!!

There's a fine line between hard and stupid... I just hope you don't plan on doing this on a public road.

There's a big difference in talking about taking your car to 180+, and then actually doing so once you have dropped $10-20k into your FI setup. You'd better be pretty damn sure your car is tuned and operating flawlessly before trying it. That is, unless you really WANT to blow up your motor (and possibly kill yourself). Basically, it's not a question of having *****, it's a question of weather you care enough about your investment not to jeopardize it all for a single run.

Anyway... I think what you're referring to is the video of the Supra racing a sport bike on the highway and hitting 199mph. The part you probably didn't see was the same Supra limping home because of a spun rod bearing. Also, the Option Z's crash was said to be because of a blown tire. It certainly didn't sound that way. It definitely sounded like he had some mechanical failure before he lost control of the car.

I guess I'm just trying to say that you run a serious risk pushing a car to it's limits in this manner. There's a reason professional racing teams spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in R&D.

But hey, if you still insist on pushing your car past 180, make plenty of videos. I'm sure half the internet would be interested in seeing them.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 AM
cracka350z

im not much myself for the acceleration thing....i like the rush of goin top end....the acceleration thing is nice, but its alot neater to me to pull hard on the top end too. i do it at like 3am when no one is out so i dont kill no one if anything goes wrong. but thats me! lol
Old 08-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Navygolf13

Anyone know where a video of the Option One Z is? I agree though acceleration is great but I want to know what it feels like, once at 180+!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Landbarger

Should you want to try and top out your Z in a more-safe (than on a public road w/ possibility of traffic) method the Silverstate Classic (same event the Option Z was running) is open to anyone to sign up for, and they'll have safety personnel, etc. present. The road is also closed for the event and so there isn't the possibility of collateral damage. If you want more info look in SPEED magazine (i think, it's the SCCA publication). They've got several adds for the thing in the back.

I personally would like to see Sharif, Charles (phunk), or maybe Cheston (Chebosto) do something like that, it really would make an interesting video (how long it takes to get to xxx mph). On a side note, a full cage installed by a professional shop would DEFINITELY be on my list of "must-have's" for trying 160+.

-Adam (has only done 119 (once) so far)
Old 08-23-2005, 09:36 AM
xephiron

Not trying to make friends or enemies here, just a little perspective:
Why do people risk their lives to climb Pike's Peak, the risk of something/anything going wrong and the car flying off the cliff or mountain side runs really high. Regardless of how well the car is prepared and how good/professional the driver/s may be. Remember Dale Earnhardt? nuff said.

People are gonna do what they wanna do, regardless of whether they get support or not. High speed is something many people love, it is like 2nd nature to wanna go as fast as possible. Otherwise the entire sport of Motorsports wouldn't exist. Why does our car have a 6th gear, when 5th can go nearly 140? To save gas you say? not really, otherwise it would be much taller like in a camaro. Ours is sequential, which means it is designed to actually be used for performance and not just to save gas.

Stupid to go 160? maybe. Fun? most definitely! I have personally hit my governor 3 times on interstates here in Alabama. Usually with minimal traffic, daytime lighting, and perfect weather on a well paved road.. of course. I guess I figure what is the purpose of living a long life, if you never really life it. Quality over quantity if you ask me. And for some people, going 200 mph is the only thing which will "complete" their life. I say, go get 'em, just include me in your will and testament
Old 08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by xephiron
Not trying to make friends or enemies here, just a little perspective:
Why do people risk their lives to climb Pike's Peak, the risk of something/anything going wrong and the car flying off the cliff or mountain side runs really high. Regardless of how well the car is prepared and how good/professional the driver/s may be. Remember Dale Earnhardt? nuff said.

People are gonna do what they wanna do, regardless of whether they get support or not. High speed is something many people love, it is like 2nd nature to wanna go as fast as possible. Otherwise the entire sport of Motorsports wouldn't exist. Why does our car have a 6th gear, when 5th can go nearly 140? To save gas you say? not really, otherwise it would be much taller like in a camaro. Ours is sequential, which means it is designed to actually be used for performance and not just to save gas.

Stupid to go 160? maybe. Fun? most definitely! I have personally hit my governor 3 times on interstates here in Alabama. Usually with minimal traffic, daytime lighting, and perfect weather on a well paved road.. of course. I guess I figure what is the purpose of living a long life, if you never really life it. Quality over quantity if you ask me. And for some people, going 200 mph is the only thing which will "complete" their life. I say, go get 'em, just include me in your will and testament
Well said!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Landbarger

Can I be in your will and testament xephiron? I'd settle for the popcharger and test pipes...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:48 AM
xephiron

Originally Posted by Landbarger
Can I be in your will and testament xephiron? I'd settle for the popcharger and test pipes...
Hehe, sure man... we can put a contingency (spelling?) in there that if I die going over 150mph you can have my test pipes and pop-charger.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:53 AM
cracka350z

1/4 mile and autox is dangerous too....1/4 mile...you blow a tire and hit the wall...even if your doin like 60...its gonna hurt like hell. no racing is completely safe...doesnt matter how fast your going. you could die at like 15mph...so dont really preach on high speed stuff being dangerous. there is always a risk. no matter what. its just a risk some people like to take. *like me *
Old 08-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Landbarger

Originally Posted by xephiron
Hehe, sure man... we can put a contingency (spelling?) in there that if I die going over 150mph you can have my test pipes and pop-charger.
Deal!

EDIT: In post #29 I referred to SPEED magazine, that's the R&T mag, not the SCCA publication, the SCCA publication is SportsCar Magazine www.sccasportscar.com ...sorry about the mix up.

Last edited by Landbarger; 08-23-2005 at 11:03 AM.