Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

A funny thing happened at the strip mall

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:28 PM
ZON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A funny thing happened at the strip mall

So I was doing some shopping tonight for my daughters back to school thing and my good friend unexpectedly called me on my cell phone.
He proceded to fill me in on an idea they want to do and I listened intently.

But to get to the point:

I have just been given a unique opportunity to have cams, Unichip, Borla headers and APS plenum all installed free of charge in return for me letting my Z be used as a demo car at a local shop here in Northern Californinia. Oh and it all includes a meticulous dyno tune and testing on their new state of the art magnetic resistance load dyno. I get all the parts and the install for free and the car will be demo'd for 6 months. After that all the parts remain in the Z. I said, OKAY!!!, &, I love you!!
I have to let them have the car for 3-4 days out of every month for 6 months and I trust them as we are good long time friends. I had no idea they were planning this. As for the cams, I've known that they were working on them but they are supposed to be something special that these guys had developed with a very renouned Ferrari expert/guru/engineer, and I know of his reputation too. My Z will be the N/A demo coupe. They already have the APS TT demo Roadster that has a lot of other goodies on/in it.
So what can I say? I won't sleep tonight I am so stoked. I did need to ask my wifey if it was okay before i accepted the arrangement and she said, "You know I don't care about that stuff but you go right on ahead, you go for it". She knows.

OMFG!!!! You've got to be kidding me!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

congrats dude. that is a sick opportunity. one question though - i thought the borla headers are not very well designed and as a result do not offer that great of power gains. why not choose better headers?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:51 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by hndumafia
congrats dude. that is a sick opportunity. one question though - i thought the borla headers are not very well designed and as a result do not offer that great of power gains. why not choose better headers?
Who am I to argue. I am aware of those claims and that's the 1st thing I thought of when he mentioned those headers to be used. I presume it is because the Borla's are in the low end of cost for headers. But I don't care, hell, the Unichip witht the dyno tune alone will boost HP all over the band by 20-22 whp. These guys have done that repeatedly on N/A 350Z's. As long as it's all reliable (which I am convinced it will be) then I am all in. I do have to make sure that springs and seats come with those cam's, though. They are supposed to be really special but I will see for myself.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Congrats man! Keep us posted on how it goes .
Old 08-23-2005, 11:06 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Congrats man! Keep us posted on how it goes .
I will neighbor. I think I want to slate you for a test drive. That's what the purpose is so if your interested I would like your impressions after the drive. I am meeting with you know who at lunch Wed. and we will work out the install date. But next week I am having the tranny replaced at Falore, along with a clutch.

late
Old 08-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, go ***** out your Z! LOL

That is a pretty nice proposition, as long as they take responsibility for anything bad that happens, if anything bad should happen.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:26 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Yep, go ***** out your Z! LOL

That is a pretty nice proposition, as long as they take responsibility for anything bad that happens, if anything bad should happen.
It will all be warrantied as if I paid for it.

And Wired, you are right!! It seems I will gladly lay the Z on it's back (so to speak) for these thou$ands worth of mods.
All in a pimps day of work, heh heh.

Last edited by ZON; 08-23-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by throbbing_Zon
I will neighbor. I think I want to slate you for a test drive. That's what the purpose is so if your interested I would like your impressions after the drive. I am meeting with you know who at lunch Wed. and we will work out the install date. But next week I am having the tranny replaced at Falore, along with a clutch.

late
Sounds good. I may take you up on that offer . Definitely nice to know you'll be getting these upgrades on top of getting a new tranny & clutch. Yeah, I was surprised as well on the header choice but hey...maybe they know something we don't know. I'd say it's still a good deal either way . Good luck!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrat. it's good to be a good friend of Ted.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
ZON

Well I was wrong about the headers. These will actually be SP headers. They are their new equal length headers and the tube size is optimal for power and torque throughout. Not too big to where you loose bottom end and not too small where you would create too much back pressure.
I misunderstood when we were on the phone last night. The name Borla came up when we were talking about exhaust and I got confused in all of my excitement from everything. But the headers had been a secret before now.

Anyway the job get's started Tuesday of next week and upon or sometime soon after completion I will post details in a few locations for anyone who's interested. I will answer any questions that I can for you after this time too.

cheers,

mike
Old 08-24-2005, 02:23 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Sweet! Can't wait to see some dynos & reviews .
Old 08-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Fletch69z

That is awesome! What does "demo" mean to them though? Does that mean it will be trailered somewhere and set out on display or driven to demo the tune? Congrats again! Wish I was that lucky!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
That is awesome! What does "demo" mean to them though? Does that mean it will be trailered somewhere and set out on display or driven to demo the tune? Congrats again! Wish I was that lucky!
Dude i still don't believe this, and thank you.

Demo means any 350Z owner who wants upgrades or not & shows up at certain times at Scott Performance in Santa Clara, Ca. will get to test drive the car themselves but with someone from SP or me with him or her in the passenger seat. Actually SP is sponsering me. I will also be demo'ing the car at some events/meets in the greater S.F. bay area.
First off we should be ready for the Sept. 18th Treasure Island meet (I think that's what it is).