Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cost of bolt on parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Mc556

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of bolt on parts

You know I really don't mind paying for quality as long as I feel that there is value in the purchase. But am I the only one that feels that we as Z owners are getting screwed on the cost of basic bolt on parts? I came from a background of mustangs and simular cars that are also duel exhaust and can't belive that a SS cat back is over $550 let alone $800-1000 or more. I know when a car is new to market that prices will start high but there must be 20 different ones on the market now and the car has been out over three years. I know it's about what the market will bring but I'm supprised that someone hasn't came out with something that would bring alot more bang for the buck. Is it really that much money to manufacture this stuff I doubt it
A few more to add. Headers $450-1000 My roomates 600ci big block had a custom set made for his drag car( very complex design) for $700 Gears 3.9evo $800 almost any other gear for a passenger car $125-250.
I know that some of you will stay stick to mustangs etc but I think that these bolt ons are just a little over the top and feel insulted by some of the aftermarket companys. BTW if i'm wrong about the manufactureing cost and the margins are really that low so be it I'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong or misinformed.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:21 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

I think the reason being is the issue of quality along with the fact that the Z is already tuned much more than regular cars. The quality along with engineering the parts (which most likely takes longer than other cars due to fitting issues along with making the part to reach better gains than stock) attributes to the pricing difference between our cars and say a civic. Also, although there are many Z's on the road today, I don't think there is nearly as much demand for aftermarket parts as some of the other common cars out.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW what do you drive?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:39 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mc556
You know I really don't mind paying for quality as long as I feel that there is value in the purchase. But am I the only one that feels that we as Z owners are getting screwed on the cost of basic bolt on parts? I came from a background of mustangs and simular cars that are also duel exhaust and can't belive that a SS cat back is over $550 let alone $800-1000 or more. I know when a car is new to market that prices will start high but there must be 20 different ones on the market now and the car has been out over three years. I know it's about what the market will bring but I'm supprised that someone hasn't came out with something that would bring alot more bang for the buck. Is it really that much money to manufacture this stuff I doubt it
A few more to add. Headers $450-1000 My roomates 600ci big block had a custom set made for his drag car( very complex design) for $700 Gears 3.9evo $800 almost any other gear for a passenger car $125-250.
I know that some of you will stay stick to mustangs etc but I think that these bolt ons are just a little over the top and feel insulted by some of the aftermarket companys. BTW if i'm wrong about the manufactureing cost and the margins are really that low so be it I'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong or misinformed.

You have a point that modding the Z is expensive and im sure some of the parts are over priced but you have to understand the mustang has been out for 10 years with basicly the same design and a huge ownership base. Some things for the Z probably sell under 500 units total yet have to maintain the highest build quality.
Its a ***** but if people were really making a killing in the Z market youd see alot more people coming out with kit for it. We do have alot of variety but that has only been recent. The S2000 also sufferes from the same problems of expensive mods.
Choose your mods carefully or buy used. I do both and it helps tomake it cheaper.
NISMO exhaust 700 shipped used, rims 1600 shipped new, popcharger 120 shipped new, hood 550 new, 3.9evo used but never installed got the install extras for free. Just be a smart buyer and it will help.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Mc556

Originally Posted by davidv
BTW what do you drive?
A 350z

If you were looking for specifics I have a 05 350z with 5000mi on it. Only mods are 19in Volk gt-av's and a K&N filter. I've been trying to figure how I want to build this car I guess thats why the rant. I do love the car no doubt it's a the whole package.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have what I believe to be a good selection of bolt-on parts. They have increased my trap speeds 6-7 mph over stock, cost me less than $2000 and were individually installed in 1 hour or less-the test-pipes took me about 90 minutes.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Mc556
A 350z

If you were looking for specifics I have a 05 350z with 5000mi on it. Only mods are 19in Volk gt-av's and a K&N filter. I've been trying to figure how I want to build this car I guess thats why the rant. I do love the car no doubt it's a the whole package.
Good. There is so much 350Z criticism in disguise around here that I had to ask. And gatti-man hit the nail on the head. There are about 150,000 350Zs on the road. If 1 in 10 are moding, then the sales potential for aftermarket performance parts is only 15,000. Consider research, manufacturing set-up and production. Cost/item will be more than if you were making 100,000.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Mc556

Originally Posted by davidv
Good. There is so much 350Z criticism in disguise around here that I had to ask. And gatti-man hit the nail on the head. There are about 150,000 350Zs on the road. If 1 in 10 are moding, then the sales potential for aftermarket performance parts is only 15,000. Consider research, manufacturing set-up and production. Cost/item will be more than if you were making 100,000.

Good points I'm just jelous of all the cheap honda crap etc. Looks like I will have a greddy sp-2 that I got used on the way and will be looking for a set of test pipes as well. Not sure if I will get a mandrel pipe bent to replace stock or not but got a great deal. As far as the number of Zs on the road I guess that 1 in 10 sounds fair as far as how many get modded. All those fat old men with the roadsters around here are bosting sales.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:42 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Part of the problem is shipping from Japan, part is small market, part is taking advantage. Things like a A/F gauge shouldn't cost more, but when you buy them from most Z shops they do. So I buy what I can from Summit, Jegs, etc, and shop around like crazy for the Z specific parts, like some said, used, previously owned, or on sale. What can you do? But I agree, $800 for a ring and pinon seems very high. $1400 for a Quaife that doesn't even work higher.

Grin and bear it.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:22 PM
overZealous1

hate to admit it but i got a full ati kit w/ pe380's and new gauges for $3600. when i changed to tt, i got the greddy kit for (don't hate me for this) $2600 shipped, lol. very low miles on kit too. it was minus injectors (which i didn't need) and the emanage ( which i didn't need) shop around here on the forum and you can sometimes walk away with some smokin deals!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:54 PM
davidv

BTW I recall a thread about the cost of bolt-on horsepower for the naturally aspirated 350Z. Bolt-on being intake, exhaust and similar items.

I believe that the general consensus was $75-$100/1 additional horsepower.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 AM
undrgnd

I believe that a significant reason for the exhorbitant prices is due to the perception, which may be correct, that the typical Z owner can afford more than your run of the mill Mustang owner. I don't buy that there are significant R&D or manufactoring costs in test pipes, Y-pipes, splash guards, or even spoilers. Most of this stuff is intended to make money for the sellers. Hey, they have to make a living too. But that's the great thing about this country: You don't have to purchase it if you don't want to. And for that matter, you don't have to have a Z either.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:23 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
But that's the great thing about this country: You don't have to purchase it if you don't want to. And for that matter, you don't have to have a Z either.
Dam. I thought you did.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Mc556

Originally Posted by undrgnd
I believe that a significant reason for the exhorbitant prices is due to the perception, which may be correct, that the typical Z owner can afford more than your run of the mill Mustang owner. I don't buy that there are significant R&D or manufactoring costs in test pipes, Y-pipes, splash guards, or even spoilers. Most of this stuff is intended to make money for the sellers. Hey, they have to make a living too. But that's the great thing about this country: You don't have to purchase it if you don't want to. And for that matter, you don't have to have a Z either.
This post isn't about hey lets boycott the aftermarket it's more about hey someone wake up and start droping prices and sell at volume. I think that the Z is nearing the point that prices should come down on basic parts"bolt ons" I think there needs to be more vendors like Crawford that offers very high quality parts for a fair price vs nismo high dollar rebadged middle of the road stuff. I will be the first to say that I will probley go supercharged after the year is over but I wouln't buy a kit till I know that I'm getting a hell of a deal. Undrgrd your right though I don't have to buy it I probley will at some point but my money will only go to those that earn it.