Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:44 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
NEWS FLASH!!!

CORPORATE NISSAN MUST BE WATCHING THIS THREAD OR WATCHING MY PURCHASING HABITS OR WATCHING FOR GENERAL STATISTICAL ANOMALIES IN PART PURCHASING.

I CERTAINTLY MUST HAVE CREATED A RUN ON PARTS THEY NEVER EXPECTED.

EITHER WAY, THEY ARE ON TO IT AND HAVE ADJU$TED ACCORDINGLY.

ALTHOUGH THE ENTRY TICKET WILL COST A LITTLE MORE, THE GOOD NEWS IS THE REVUP PARTY IS STILL ON!

so this new mod utilizes to some degree OEM parts.....and i am guessing something to do with the intake side of things.......hmmm
Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 AM
babadudu

so, tony, maybe you can also dyno it on the 287hp engine , and i guess it's also has something to do with heat management?!? cuz Tony mentioned he was thinking about how to make the REVUP better but couldn't because of the plenum redesign ?!?

c'mon TONY!... i don't want to refresh this page every 5 sec anymnore.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by babadudu
so, tony, maybe you can also dyno it on the 287hp engine , and i guess it's also has something to do with heat management?!? cuz Tony mentioned he was thinking about how to make the REVUP better but couldn't because of the plenum redesign ?!?

c'mon TONY!... i don't want to refresh this page every 5 sec anymnore.
They're already selling a "heat management" product in the Isothermal Gasket & TB heater sets.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:11 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

ok, ok tony.....we really know how you got the extra power out of the Z......you call it the "rev up" motor....well i say........

Last edited by HarvesterUT; 01-26-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been asked about strip times.

I think this is a very good question. I would like to see the test performed but that certaintly excludes me. It would have to be from an experienced driver who can get good times CONSISTANTLY.

Go to the track. Do several runs. Install the mod and do several more runs.
...Then do a statistical analysis on the 0-60's, ET's and trap speeds.

This mod will be in the $500 range so I will hook you up 1/2 price.
Any takers???

You must be an experienced drag racer with consistant numbers!!!!

Test must be done with a releatively stock REVUP engine.
I would LOVE to take you up on this offer, I am VERY consistent @ the track. Two best runs being 13.13 @ 107, and 13.16 @ 106. Stock 3 runs 13.80, 13.77, 13.86. Unfortunately I dont have the 300hp motor. How much of this claimed 20whp do you believe has to do with the fact that the 05' track models supposedly have a better lower plenum? Do you think your seeing such good gains because your maximizing the new lower plenum? If I was to put an 05' track lower plenum on my car and your kit would I see 1/2 the gains your claiming? If you think yes, Ill buy the lower plenum, dyno it, then put on your product dyno it, then run it at the track and see if it helps my trap speeds(I doubt it). If it doesnt work all I ask is that you take your product back no charge to me, I would be paying for dyno time, and post results. You game? If anybody is gonna see track results its me, show me another Z on the boards with a measly 260whp trapping 107mph
Old 10-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
I would LOVE to take you up on this offer, I am VERY consistent @ the track. Two best runs being 13.13 @ 107, and 13.16 @ 106. Stock 3 runs 13.80, 13.77, 13.86. Unfortunately I dont have the 300hp motor. How much of this claimed 20whp do you believe has to do with the fact that the 05' track models supposedly have a better lower plenum? Do you think your seeing such good gains because your maximizing the new lower plenum? If I was to put an 05' track lower plenum on my car and your kit would I see 1/2 the gains your claiming? If you think yes, Ill buy the lower plenum, dyno it, then put on your product dyno it, then run it at the track and see if it helps my trap speeds(I doubt it). If it doesnt work all I ask is that you take your product back no charge to me, I would be paying for dyno time, and post results. You game? If anybody is gonna see track results its me, show me another Z on the boards with a measly 260whp trapping 107mph
+1 LETS SEE IT!! GREAT IDEA.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Albert,
I appreciate your offer. I must admit I thought of that myself after seeing your times. Unfortunatly this must be done on the Revup engine.

That variable valve timing actually makes a significant difference. Based on the testing I've done I found that the variable valve timing adds a significant amount of torque. The only reason the "stock" Revup has less torque than the regular engine is because how it is tuned on the intake side of the engine.

But if the intake side can be further optimized to increase power output, the Revup can make more of both TQ and HP than the regular engine.

I overlayed a plot of a regular stock engine with a spacer and a Revup engine with this new mod and now the REVUP produces more power just about everywere on the entire curve. After seeing these results, now I really want to get a revup engine.

Previously I was of the feeling that it was somewhat of a wash between the two engines as far as performance goes. It was just a trade of power from one area of RPM to another. But with this mod included it changes everything.

As far as advertised power gains I will stick with 15+ HP. 15+ is the lowest "peak gain" I've measured on any REVUP with this mod so I'll stay on the conservative side.

Additionally, in all cases but one, the modified peak HP has been about 2 HP lower than stock peak HP, but the area under the curve is greatly increased with the mod.

The latest dyno (Alex) was with another little tweak added to the mod. This may or may not be responsible for the modified peak power surpassing the stock peak HP.

In any case, what you see on Klumzees and Alex's Dyno plots (on the first page of this thread)... they are real and they are really good.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thumbs up

Hi Albert,
I appreciate your offer. I must admit I thought of that myself after seeing your times. Unfortunatly this must be done on the Revup engine.

That variable valve timing actually makes a significant difference. Based on the testing I've done I found that the variable valve timing adds a significant amount of torque.
Doh I forgot about the variable valve timing, well that sucks. I look forward to seeing/hearing more from your products in the future. Even though I doubt the claims right now(15whp), you never took it personal or posted anything negative back at me or anybody else skeptical about the gains. Its nice to see vendors not get out of line when somebody disagrees/has a different opinion than them, good luck to you BTW I have a friend that is going to order a spacer for his Z soon (287hp model). Let us know when you update your webpage on how it is you got the extra power out of this car.....
Old 10-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Right on Albert.

Do you have access to a REVUP Z you could test at the strip?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

bump this bad boy back to the top.......tell us Tony!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
alininger2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that bump.....
Old 10-13-2005, 05:11 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Gotta be patient..... back in post #35 Tony mentioned that he would be working on getting the website updated, etc., hopefully this weekend.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Right on Albert.

Do you have access to a REVUP Z you could test at the strip?
No I dont all the Z owners I know are regular 287hp ones, but hey if I meet a 300hp owner willing to let me test it down the 1/4, you can be sure I will BTW its Alberto, not Albert....
Old 10-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

BTW its Alberto, not Albert....
Sorry about that Alberto. My bad.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:42 PM
350zQ45a

No I dont all the Z owners I know are regular 287hp ones, but hey if I meet a 300hp owner willing to let me test it down the 1/4, you can be sure I will BTW its Alberto, not Albert....

heh are you going to disclose to this 300hp owner just how you drive the car down the strip
Old 10-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
heh are you going to disclose to this 300hp owner just how you drive the car down the strip
Of course I would, Ill show him how I would in my car if they wanted to see. If they are cool with it, Id run it. They will forget about the shock of seeing their tranny slammed around when they see what I run down the 1/4
Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if Motordyne is willing to spend extra to fly alberto to Vancouver Canada, I wouldn't mind letting him use my car
Old 10-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by nitrouz
if Motordyne is willing to spend extra to fly alberto to Vancouver Canada, I wouldn't mind letting him use my car
Thats awesome....thanks for the offer, never been to Canada, would be pretty cool.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Of course I would, Ill show him how I would in my car if they wanted to see. If they are cool with it, Id run it. They will forget about the shock of seeing their tranny slammed around when they see what I run down the 1/4
Sorry, no trips to Canada. Gotta figure out something simpler than that.

This is OT, but what RPM do you launch from? I wouldn't mind improving on my times. I didn't have much success above 4K. Too much spin and wheel hop, not enough feather.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Wink

Sorry, no trips to Canada. Gotta figure out something simpler than that.

This is OT, but what RPM do you launch from? I wouldn't mind improving on my times. I didn't have much success above 4K. Too much spin and wheel hop, not enough feather.
On street tires 2500-3000 is good for me at the track-with a slight slip. On slicks Ive launched as high as 6200 rpm's The launch found in the in-car vid in my signature was on slicks at about 4800 rpm's-pretty weak = 1.92 60ft. What do you run?

Quick Reply: 05 "High Rev" Motors.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering