Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo S2 Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005 | 10:46 AM
Zexy

Arrow Nismo S2 Camshaft

I see that Nismo sells a S2 camshaft as they have it for sale on Japanparts.com

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsl...iddle=1&small=1

I wonder around what kind of numbers i can end up with this camshaft on a tuned motor. I either plan on buying a set of heads and building them or going with a Turbonetics ST so i am curious about these.(Please do not state opinion on which choice to go with). I am interested on going the NA

I am also curious in seing how these cams will get along with idle. I wouldn't mind the motor ending up with a rough idle but not at 2000RPM either, hehe. And if the Nismo valvetrain would support enough lift? What do you guys think?

My car is not a daily driver as well.

NOTE: They also sell a unmachined profile possible for 312 degrees and 14mm of lift!!!
Old 11-04-2005 | 01:21 PM
Z350Lover

Go read this thread and you should be able to find out what you need to go with the nismo s2 camshaft.. its not just a drop in thing, you need a good engine management which can operate VTCs in the car and will need a set of new VTC from nismo too.. No one really knows if it will idle like crap though, but I think the idle shall be fine when the engine is warm, but rough during warming up.. all depend on the tuning though!

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/149558-cams.html

cheers,

richie
Old 11-04-2005 | 02:41 PM
430ztt

Richie,
Were you the guy trying to use the Spec2 cams with the Nismo race heads? If so did you ever get it working?

If not nevermind but I know it was someone from Aussie but can't remember who....
Old 11-04-2005 | 03:17 PM
Nathan

Checkout Powerhouse Amuse's site for info
Old 11-04-2005 | 04:21 PM
Z350Lover

430:

No... that is not me... that's Nathan (Peter)... the guy who just posted after you!

Peter:

OT a bit.. Can you take a look at my post regards to the pistons that I have got? Do you think those are 11.5:1? Thanks! Back to the topic!

cheers,

richie
Old 11-05-2005 | 10:32 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Go read this thread and you should be able to find out what you need to go with the nismo s2 camshaft.. its not just a drop in thing, you need a good engine management which can operate VTCs in the car and will need a set of new VTC from nismo too.. No one really knows if it will idle like crap though, but I think the idle shall be fine when the engine is warm, but rough during warming up.. all depend on the tuning though!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149558

cheers,

richie
I'm no dummy and i'm pretty knowledgable, but probably not as knowledged as you, but i know it takes a great EMS and tuning done and i know it is not a drop in thing as IF this project ever gets planned to be done. A reinforced valvetrain is a MUST. I also plan on purchasing a UTEC.(And wait for the VTC control option which they will release later date?)

I however did not know about a set of new VTC from Nismo. Are you talking about the VTC pulley Nismo sells? Can you explain more information and why these are needed?

Also is their high risk of the valves smacking the OEM pistons during the course of small timing change?

BTW: What do you think of the extremely aggressive unmachined profiles? Would they be worth it if i could aquire a shop to do the job of machining/grinding my custom specs? (My car is not a daily beater)

Last edited by Zexy; 11-05-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2005 | 03:39 PM
Z350Lover

to be honest, I am not really knowledgable on many of the engine stuffs, I can just let you know about my own setup and what's pros and cons with my current status, other than that, you might need to wait for Nathan (Peter) to answer your questions..

Yes... I am talking about the VTC pulley that nismo sells... if you want to fully utilise the cams and to minimise the loss of torque at lower RPM, it is recommended by Nismo to have a new set of high angled VTC pulleys installed and tuned with those wild profile cams.

If you are not planning to go anywhere higher than 11.0mm lift on your cam profiles (of course with new stronger springs to suit 11.0mm lift), your valves will not smack the OEM pistons at all because there are enough valve clearance there according to Peter.

If you are considering an extremely aggressive profile cams, you will need to seek more information from Peter as he runs custom grinded cams (from a set of nismo blank cams) and Nismo spec 2 heads + stronger valvetrain set + larger displacement... He can be able to suggest you which way to go as he has plenty of experiences on this engine...

It is good to hear that other than Peter, someone is going to explore into this wild N/A tuning dimensions! Good on ya! Best of luck with your project!

cheers,

richie
Old 11-05-2005 | 09:44 PM
Zexy

to be honest, I am not really knowledgable on many of the engine stuffs, I can just let you know about my own setup and what's pros and cons with my current status, other than that, you might need to wait for Nathan (Peter) to answer your questions..

Yes... I am talking about the VTC pulley that nismo sells... if you want to fully utilise the cams and to minimise the loss of torque at lower RPM, it is recommended by Nismo to have a new set of high angled VTC pulleys installed and tuned with those wild profile cams.

If you are not planning to go anywhere higher than 11.0mm lift on your cam profiles (of course with new stronger springs to suit 11.0mm lift), your valves will not smack the OEM pistons at all because there are enough valve clearance there according to Peter.

If you are considering an extremely aggressive profile cams, you will need to seek more information from Peter as he runs custom grinded cams (from a set of nismo blank cams) and Nismo spec 2 heads + stronger valvetrain set + larger displacement... He can be able to suggest you which way to go as he has plenty of experiences on this engine...

It is good to hear that other than Peter, someone is going to explore into this wild N/A tuning dimensions! Good on ya! Best of luck with your project!

cheers,

richie
Hopefully Peter decides to chip in this thread to help me out!!

About the VTC pulley- The description states the pulley is only to be used with the Nismo race heads. Is this true? Can they be used of the OEM head? I wouldn't see why not.

Thanks alot for the encouragment and words of wisdom!
Old 11-06-2005 | 02:26 AM
Z350Lover

VTCs are recommended to be used with wild cams... I am using VTCs with nismo spec1 cams now on the standard heads... no problem at all! The only weird noise that peter and I can hear is starting the car from cold, there will be a metal scrapping noise due to the stronger valve springs, but that's normal. Other than that, my car idles a bit rough when cold (not sure about peter's), but perfectly normal when it is warm at 800rpm.

Peter checks this forum quite frequently, so if he comes into this thread, he will definite offer his opinions! Or you can fire him a PM, that might work too!

You can be able to translate this page online... I didn't see anywhere saying that the pulley should be used with competition heads though?! There is a note at the bottom, only mentions that you will need to check the valve clearance with the pistons when the VTC pulley and a set of wilder cams are used, but I think as long as your lift is not higher than 11.0mm (with stronger valve springs), your valves shouldn't be touching your pistons...

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/engine/parts05.html

cheers,

richie
Old 11-06-2005 | 01:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

not the cams to be used with Forced Induction - for an all out NA setup though, would be a terrific choice
Old 11-06-2005 | 01:30 PM
Zexy

VTCs are recommended to be used with wild cams... I am using VTCs with nismo spec1 cams now on the standard heads... no problem at all! The only weird noise that peter and I can hear is starting the car from cold, there will be a metal scrapping noise due to the stronger valve springs, but that's normal. Other than that, my car idles a bit rough when cold (not sure about peter's), but perfectly normal when it is warm at 800rpm.

Peter checks this forum quite frequently, so if he comes into this thread, he will definite offer his opinions! Or you can fire him a PM, that might work too!

You can be able to translate this page online... I didn't see anywhere saying that the pulley should be used with competition heads though?! There is a note at the bottom, only mentions that you will need to check the valve clearance with the pistons when the VTC pulley and a set of wilder cams are used, but I think as long as your lift is not higher than 11.0mm (with stronger valve springs), your valves shouldn't be touching your pistons...

http://www.nismo.co.jp/products/engine/parts05.html

cheers,

richie
This is the description on JapanParts:

"For Race use. For High revolution applications, alters the VTC angle which helps prevent valve bounce and damaged pistons. Only for NISMO CYLINDER HEAD SPEC-1 and SPEC-2. For a High revving NA engine, it's essential to have a lightweight valve/spring assembly to ensure reliable horsepower increase and acceleration. The answer; Titanium valve springs and valves VK45 Weight comparison: INT (Stock 51.4g ->NISMO 31.0g) and EXH (Stock 46.8 g ->NISMO 28.7g). The price is for a set of 2."

But you're using the pulley on yout OEM heads correct? So it shouldn't be a problem right?
Old 11-06-2005 | 01:31 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
not the cams to be used with Forced Induction - for an all out NA setup though, would be a terrific choice
Exactly
Old 11-06-2005 | 02:35 PM
Z350Lover

I think the descriptions they put up for VTC pulleys are actually for Titanium Valve sets for Head spec 1 and spec 2... they just put the translation wrongly to the wrong parts...

INT (Stock 51.4g ->NISMO 31.0g) and EXH (Stock 46.8 g ->NISMO 28.7g)... is the weight of the titanium valves compare to the standard valves...

cheers,

richie
Old 11-06-2005 | 04:33 PM
Nathan

The VCT sprockets should be used with the S1 & S2 cams but are not absolutly nessesary. The Grand Am cup Z's use S1 cams but do not use the cam sprockets
( they may be modifying the OE one)
The problem has been that there has been no affordable ECU solution to cam control on any modified motor, all that has been addresed so far has been spark & fuel.
The stock ECU can do the job but reflashing is not easy.
richie's use of the Motec does the job but it's not really an affordable solution.
The UTEC looks very promising, as they say VCT control is an upgrade in the future.
You can't use the VK45 titanium inlet valves in the stock head as they are 1mm smaller in dia.,

Richie when you pull your motor for the piston & rod upgrade, lend me one of your Nismo VCT sprockets as I feel sure the OE one can be modified for more cam rotation, after all they are just a vane inside with oil distributed to each side by the VCT controller.
A little bit of grinding on the stops should do the job.

Last edited by Nathan; 11-06-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2005 | 05:01 PM
Zexy

Peter, what about going with a custom setup with the Nismo blanks and going with even a more aggressive duration? Exactly what else would have to be drilled/machined on the Nismo blanks ? What is the Nismo valvetrain max support?

I plan on staying with the OEM bottom end and modified OEM heads with some port work and increase the compression with some flat top valves.

BTW: I am planning and doing extensive research on this relying on the UTEC releasing the VTC control option, heh.
Old 11-06-2005 | 05:06 PM
Z350Lover

Peter,

I will ask Simon to check out the diff. between the nismo VTC and the standard VTC unit for you and see if there is anyway to modify the standard VTC to make it works to what nismo vtc does... Will post some findings for you, that will be a lot faster... and also I found a chart at Nismo website about the VTC unit.... here you go...

cheers,

richie
Attached Thumbnails Nismo S2 Camshaft-vtc_chart.gif   Nismo S2 Camshaft-vtc1.jpg  
Old 11-06-2005 | 06:35 PM
Nathan

Peter,

I will ask Simon to check out the diff. between the nismo VTC and the standard VTC unit for you and see if there is anyway to modify the standard VTC to make it works to what nismo vtc does... Will post some findings for you, that will be a lot faster... and also I found a chart at Nismo website about the VTC unit.... here you go...

cheers,

richie
Thanks Richie
On that Nismo graph the verticle graph is VTC deg at RPM
Can anyone tell me what the horozontal lines represent ?
The graph somewhat explains why the Grand Am motors dont use the VTC sprockets, as at high revs the cams are not advanced past 40 deg

Last edited by Nathan; 11-06-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2005 | 06:41 PM
Z350Lover

Peter.... the verticle lines are representing "Engine Torque"..

cheers,

richie
Old 11-06-2005 | 07:13 PM
Nathan

Peter.... the verticle lines are representing "Engine Torque"..

cheers,

richie
OK if thats the case then my reading of that graph is there is very little Tq & hence power at 2K weather the cams are advanced 20 deg or 50 deg
Same @ 6k very little difference whether the cam is at 12 or 40 deg adv, in fact peak power at 6k has only about 25 deg adv
The big differance is in the mid range where there is a big change in Tq as the cams are advanced.
I would show that graph to Simon & see if he has the Motec programed simmiler on your motor.
Old 11-06-2005 | 08:36 PM
Z350Lover

Thanks Peter... there is also one problem... after nizpro tuned the car (they also found that too), whenever we change from gear to gear, if the rpm falls at 1800 rpm or so, the car jerks a bit... the jerk feels like the driver cannot drive a manual car... but if the rpm falls anywhere below or above that, the car drives smoothly... I THINK it might be the VTC tuning problem that I will need to ask simon to double check the mapping in the motec for me...

So that means with or without the VTC pulleys, the car will still operate nicely since the stock VTC angle goes up to 40 degrees... there isn't much to go for above 40 degrees anyway... Also I double checked with the part number on the nismo VTC pulley casing (in my photo archive), the nismo VTC part number is totally different from the ones on the stock VTC pulleys... probably they are just the casing numbers...

I cannot be able to tell the diff. between the stock pully and the nismo pulley though... they were even in the stock nissan VTC pulley boxes and the funny thing is... they crossed the nissan part number, then wrote down nismo part number instead and also wrote down "55 degrees" on top of the nismo vtc pulley using blue marker pen... feels like I got coned that way.... lol... so I think Peter is right about the pulley

cheers,

richie

Quick Reply: Nismo S2 Camshaft