Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

To those that installed there own cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:28 PM
EM-EFER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those that installed there own cams

Can someone tell me what I should look for and how difficult this is going to be. Iam getting JWT cams and will begin this in two weeks. This will be the last NA mod I do before going TT. Please give me some input. I plan on doing a how to for this.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
CLETUS

are these cams for a na motor or a turbo????cause they are gonna do no good if they are aggressive na cams and you put the hairdryers on it. if the tt is going on soon, why not get some cams that will compliment the turbo and do it at the same time.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:21 PM
EM-EFER

Iam going to run the motor very tame .. the JWT will have a good midrange with the turbo.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
Iam going to run the motor very tame .. the JWT will have a good midrange with the turbo.
Agreed....the JWT's have worked well for turbo applications. Be ready for a 12-16 hr job for swapping cams. It takes a few hrs with the motor out of the car...I can't imagine doing it again with the motor still in the car. I would only attemp it with the majority of the front of the car off. Just to aid with visibility and clearance.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are going to have to make sure you have the correct size lifter valves in there...

here is a few of the sizes...

there is only 52 of them...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...r+valve+vq35de
Old 11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
you are going to have to make sure you have the correct size lifter valves in there...

here is a few of the sizes...

there is only 52 of them...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...r+valve+vq35de
The last set of JWT's I installed had clearances that were all within specs...no need to change lifter buckets. The only cams I have heard of this being necessary are the Tomei 268's.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Zmego1985

This job can be very tedious if you do not know what you are doing. The hardest part is lining up the timing chain, and be careful when you put on the tensioners the chains do not jump a tooth or it can be costly. When i first did the JWT camshaft install my timing chain was off a tooth, and i needed a valve job after lol. So i got the ferrea valve kit, and ported and polished the heads along with honing out the intakes.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by g356gear
The last set of JWT's I installed had clearances that were all within specs...no need to change lifter buckets. The only cams I have heard of this being necessary are the Tomei 268's.
lucky...

we had some cars with JWT or NISMO cams that were waiting just because one was out of spec...
Old 11-05-2005, 01:52 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes some of the smaller cams you might hit it good. i did the nismo cams in mine because i got a smoking deal. but trying to do it in the car will be a b it ch. you will prolly end up with oil leaks cause of the limited space to try to seal the motor again. if you are good though, you may be able to just pull the covers over the cam timing gears and do it. just do not turn the motor over!!!! you could figure the lifter height if you put all back in stock positions and install the new cams. turn each cam and check clearance. you may be able to tell the crank pos tooth, but i honestly don't remember.
i've had a few beers now, give a message if you need more help.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by overZealous1
yes some of the smaller cams you might hit it good. i did the nismo cams in mine because i got a smoking deal. but trying to do it in the car will be a b it ch. you will prolly end up with oil leaks cause of the limited space to try to seal the motor again. if you are good though, you may be able to just pull the covers over the cam timing gears and do it. just do not turn the motor over!!!! you could figure the lifter height if you put all back in stock positions and install the new cams. turn each cam and check clearance. you may be able to tell the crank pos tooth, but i honestly don't remember.
i've had a few beers now, give a message if you need more help.
Much appreciated with the offer.. Hopfully following the manual step by step will be enough.

Heres what I have bought

New, never installed Nismo camshafts $980

New, JWT springs and shims $220

New, Camshaft install kit from Performance Nissan $75

I am taking 4 days off to install and plan on documenting it. What do you guys think?? Should I buy any special tools/ gaskets??
Old 11-18-2005, 02:18 AM
overZealous1

as long as you are not changing valves or retainers you should be good with all your lash heights with the nismo cams. i went under 0.001 on one valve and that was it. the actual cam install should be a snap. but number the cam saddles so they go back in the same direction.
yu may just have a prob resealing everything. good luck, hope all goes smooth.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:41 AM
EM-EFER

as long as you are not changing valves or retainers you should be good with all your lash heights with the nismo cams. i went under 0.001 on one valve and that was it. the actual cam install should be a snap. but number the cam saddles so they go back in the same direction.
yu may just have a prob resealing everything. good luck, hope all goes smooth.
Is there any special tool to remove the valve springs and hold the valve so it wont drop?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

you are going to have to remove the heads...

you might as well get a full valve regrind kit...

since you are going to need new valve seals etc...

doing the springs, you have to remove the valves...
Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
EM-EFER

Do you guys sell the valve regrind kit and new seals You didnt provide any links this time!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
g356gear

Why would you have to remove the valves??? Not necessary.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
Is there any special tool to remove the valve springs and hold the valve so it wont drop?
Compressed air in the spark plug hole will keep the valves pinned against the head while you change out the spring. You just need an adapter that you would use for compression testing to attach to your compressor.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Why would you have to remove the valves??? Not necessary.
If you do not remove the cylinder heads its really hard to do, you would have to fill the cyilnder with air and hope the valve doesnt fall in... then you would have to remove the head...

If you do remove the cylinder head, then you just need a spring compressor but is almost as much as removing the complete valve
Old 11-18-2005, 01:35 PM
EM-EFER

Compressed air in the spark plug hole will keep the valves pinned against the head while you change out the spring. You just need an adapter that you would use for compression testing to attach to your compressor.
GENIUS!! Thats a great idea
Old 11-18-2005, 04:18 PM
overZealous1

you can just go piston by piston when doing the valves and put the piston a tdc and the valves wo'nt go far even if they do drop. you will need a special spring compressor also, i know it is available through nissan, but who knows the wait time. i did get away with and old school compressor i modified, but could only use it with the head off. if you pull the heads and decide to have the valves ground, you will have to redo all your lifter/shims. be sure to number everything when u are pulling it apart, the cam saddles can go on 180 degrees backwards and will bolt down, except for just the front ones. so mark with arrows or what ever outside and inside for block orientation.
the nismo cams are designed to be used with the stock springs. why did you decide to do all the extra work?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:04 PM
EM-EFER

you can just go piston by piston when doing the valves and put the piston a tdc and the valves wo'nt go far even if they do drop. you will need a special spring compressor also, i know it is available through nissan, but who knows the wait time. i did get away with and old school compressor i modified, but could only use it with the head off. if you pull the heads and decide to have the valves ground, you will have to redo all your lifter/shims. be sure to number everything when u are pulling it apart, the cam saddles can go on 180 degrees backwards and will bolt down, except for just the front ones. so mark with arrows or what ever outside and inside for block orientation.
the nismo cams are designed to be used with the stock springs. why did you decide to do all the extra work?

the cams with the springs was a package deal... do you think its worth it??

Quick Reply: To those that installed there own cams