Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR vs JWT flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 06:50 AM
03_Track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UR vs JWT flywheel

okay I'm deciding between these two, can someone help me make up my mind? thanks
Old 11-05-2005, 08:34 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They all make noise. Go with the lightest flywheel you can get.

Respect
JET
Old 11-05-2005, 11:15 AM
ARLETOS 350Z

UR and only,or go for an EXEDY twin carbon(includes theirs flywheel) to stop having in mind what the clutch will do or not do.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adam from Z1 sells a lot of the UR flywheels. Ask for his opinion. Both should be good. Keep in mind that going too light such as the tilton is very unstreetable sicne the flywheel is so light. Torque would be diminished as well.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Adam from Z1 sells a lot of the UR flywheels. Ask for his opinion. Both should be good. Keep in mind that going too light such as the tilton is very unstreetable sicne the flywheel is so light. Torque would be diminished as well.
350evo is the lightest?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by jvanquish
350evo is the lightest?
Like mentioned above. The tilton is
Old 11-05-2005, 02:54 PM
03_Track_Z

How will torque be diminished? I am looking to build my car up with these goals in mind : I want to have a N/A Z that I can use as a daily driver, safe and very reliable. I want its performace upgrades to be geared towards quick acceleration and not towards top speed. I don't track the car, the only times I'll be driving this hard is during spirited country drives (I'm from texas) and when that E46 M3 pulls up next to me at a stoplight and tries to bring it... So that's what I want out of my performance upgrades. I thought the flyhweel would aid in my low end acceleration goals, but I know that I'll need lots of torque for that, so if it diminshes torque then it seems that a flywheel will be counter to my goals. Your thoughts rick?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
How will torque be diminished? I am looking to build my car up with these goals in mind : I want to have a N/A Z that I can use as a daily driver, safe and very reliable. I want its performace upgrades to be geared towards quick acceleration and not towards top speed. I don't track the car, the only times I'll be driving this hard is during spirited country drives (I'm from texas) and when that E46 M3 pulls up next to me at a stoplight and tries to bring it... So that's what I want out of my performance upgrades. I thought the flyhweel would aid in my low end acceleration goals, but I know that I'll need lots of torque for that, so if it diminshes torque then it seems that a flywheel will be counter to my goals. Your thoughts rick?
Basically you will lose inertia by going with "too light" of a flywheel. Picture a 5lb marble at the end of a string that you spin around and compare that to a 1lb marble on the same string. You can make the 1lb marble accelerate and decelerate much faster, but once you get the 5lb marble going it creates much more intertia. I don't know if you can picture that.

The advantages of a lightweight flywheel is the revs do rise faster, but you also have to keep in mind that it drops a lot faster as well. If you are not road racing, a JWT, UR, or Fidanza is light enough (~14lbs) and is still very streetable. I have the JWT clutch and flywheel combo and it feels like stock to me with a bit more noise, which is normal. I am not bothered by the extra noise but some people like their sportscars quiet for some odd reason
Old 11-06-2005, 11:27 PM

can some one plz help a newbie out here? I just bought the UR flywheel, and according to the seller this clutch works with the stock clutch, so should i still change the clutch? how does clutch improve performance? also, what's is a pressure plate? is it something that i must get if i am going to replace the clutch?

thx in advance
Old 11-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by 100122923
can some one plz help a newbie out here? I just bought the UR flywheel, and according to the seller this clutch works with the stock clutch, so should i still change the clutch? how does clutch improve performance? also, what's is a pressure plate? is it something that i must get if i am going to replace the clutch?

thx in advance
If I were you, I would replace it at the same time since it will be apart anyways. The pressure plate should come with whatever you purchase. You cannot go wrong with the JWT clutch for the price.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:14 AM
chimmike

Rick, I think you're mistaken. A lighter flywheel by no means diminishes torque.

A lighter flywheel simply allows better transfer of the power through the drivetrain to the wheels. There's less power absorbed by the flywheel due to the lightness of the rotational mass. Therefore, instead of absorbing power as a heavier flywheel would (needed to spin the heavier mass), it transfers it through to the ground. Obviously throttle response is better and the engine is more eager to rev. If anything it will free up some horsepower and torque.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
esfand

i installed my JWT fly this weekend and it kicked my ***, but i did notice it the miniute i started the car. the engine will rev easier. this makes rev matching on downshift a lot easier. the car feels a bit more raw. overall i like it,but understand that it will not make a huge difference and that it will chatter a bit more that stock so be sure ur prepared for it . it doenst bother me but some people cry about it. the stock flywheel makes noise anyway so ur probably used to it already. and if ur dropping the trans then do the clutch at the same time cuz if ur doing it ur self it is a pain in the *** and if ur paying to have it done u will pay twice for the same thing. hope this helps
Old 11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by chimmike
Rick, I think you're mistaken. A lighter flywheel by no means diminishes torque.

A lighter flywheel simply allows better transfer of the power through the drivetrain to the wheels. There's less power absorbed by the flywheel due to the lightness of the rotational mass. Therefore, instead of absorbing power as a heavier flywheel would (needed to spin the heavier mass), it transfers it through to the ground. Obviously throttle response is better and the engine is more eager to rev. If anything it will free up some horsepower and torque.
I don't mean HP and TQ numbers say on what a dyno would read, but the rotational mass that a too light of a flywheel has will cause the car to launch poorly compared to a car with a heavier flywheel. Sometimes you can go too light. I have seen a 350z with a tilton setup get smoked off the line by a 5AT with a 3.3 final drive.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
03_Track_Z

So if my goals are 1/4 mile acceleration, would I want to get a lightweight flywheel, I was looking at JWT's...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
So if my goals are 1/4 mile acceleration, would I want to get a lightweight flywheel, I was looking at JWT's...
1/4 mile I would go with a JWT or UR.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:25 PM
MIAPLAYA

Or Jun...also a very good choice. Not to mention the Jun is ChromeMoly and doesn't have a friction plate which means one less point of failure.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
ARLETOS 350Z

Smile

Jun or june is heavy as the Z is
Old 11-08-2005, 05:24 AM
mcduck

Umm... no... the JUN flywheel is the same weight as the JWT flywheel... about 14lbs. More importantly, at least on my car, I get virtually no flywheel 'chatter'. There is very slight chatter at idle with the clutch let out. If I put the clutch in, the noise completely goes away and there is absolutely no chatter above idle.

I believe it costs the same as the JWT. You can order it through Adam at Z1Auto
Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the most affordable of the two (JWT).

Prior to purchasing my UR flywheel I was assured it was a quiet as stock - NOT!

However, it is a nice mod. It makes the VQ feel like a much smaller motor in terms of responsiveness.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the JUN is the quietest one out there as it is a one piece design

the UR is quieter than the JWT, but both work well

JWT is simply a rebadged Fidanza...

Quick Reply: UR vs JWT flywheel