Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil consumption during break in period

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Sleepy79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption during break in period

I bought a 35th MT6 at the beginning of the summer, did not get a chance to drive it much, just over 4000kms before I put it away for the season.
Being my first new car and a motor head I did follow the owners manual regarding the engine break in. Even after the 2000km break in, never did i once take the engine up to the 7k redline, 6.5-6.8k the highest (only on several ocassions). I did happen to keep my eye on the oil level, and kept on topping it up when it was down, I ended up going through almost 1qt before i put it away for the winter.
Anyone keep an eye on their oil while breaking in the engine? I know it will consume a bit till the rings and cylinders mesh, but for the light driving I was doing it has me a little worried.

Maybe this thread should have been with the other oil consumption thread, but this is regarding, during the break in period to the first oil change.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:15 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rev limiter at 6600rpm factory. but none the less, by the time you hit 5 miles the motor is mostly broken in and turned tens of thousands of times. keep an eye on the consumption.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Sleepy79

Originally Posted by overZealous1
rev limiter at 6600rpm factory. but none the less, by the time you hit 5 miles the motor is mostly broken in and turned tens of thousands of times. keep an eye on the consumption.
35th MT6 and all 2006 Z have the 300hp engine with a 7K redline.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:30 AM
overZealous1

oh, read the rest of my post then.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:24 AM
undrgnd

not so. the issue of break in will probably never be decided absolutely. even after 5K miles, there are still parts being conditioned, and that varies greatly with the engine, oil, and driving conditions. just 'cause the engine turned hundreds of thousands of times doesn't mean squat. if you look, you will find mfgrs that recommend a break in period of much more than 1200 miles. better safe than sorry...
Old 11-12-2005, 12:21 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by undrgnd
not so. the issue of break in will probably never be decided absolutely. even after 5K miles, there are still parts being conditioned, and that varies greatly with the engine, oil, and driving conditions. just 'cause the engine turned hundreds of thousands of times doesn't mean squat. if you look, you will find mfgrs that recommend a break in period of much more than 1200 miles. better safe than sorry...
if any clearances are not correct then the motor will grenade no matter if you wait 1 mile or 1500 miles. many very famous engine builders go directly from assembly to 9000rpm tuning and dyno sessions with a short 15-20 minute break-in. after that your motor is going to be about 95% broken in. i have build many motors and do all my own initial fires, and yes pretty much hammer on them after that first 20 minutes and an oil change. if u have ever broken a motor in before from right after assembly, you will see all the metal sparkles from bearing seating and rinds seating and posssible cam break in depending on setup. after the first run, you will not see anymore of this due to the fact it is mostly all seated.

again, this is an issue that goes back and forth, but but from my experience and others, this is what i will stick with.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

interesting news..
Old 11-13-2005, 04:16 AM
tonio

if any clearances are not correct then the motor will grenade no matter if you wait 1 mile or 1500 miles. many very famous engine builders go directly from assembly to 9000rpm tuning and dyno sessions with a short 15-20 minute break-in. after that your motor is going to be about 95% broken in. i have build many motors and do all my own initial fires, and yes pretty much hammer on them after that first 20 minutes and an oil change. if u have ever broken a motor in before from right after assembly, you will see all the metal sparkles from bearing seating and rinds seating and posssible cam break in depending on setup. after the first run, you will not see anymore of this due to the fact it is mostly all seated.

again, this is an issue that goes back and forth, but but from my experience and others, this is what i will stick with.

Believe it or not I broke my new engine in like this, on the dyno. First engine was broken in by the book, second was done on the dyno with a TT kit bolted on.. no problems at all. btw the first engine blew due to oil consumption but it was much worse than what has been posted here, I'm talking 5 quarts gone before 3000 miles.