Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

PC interface and software

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005 | 06:59 AM
PunKidd

We're in Austin TX.
We are currently testing Cipher on a G35.
We are confident that it will work on any Nissan based vehicle within the last few years, but we have to test each model before we'll be comfortable releasing for that model.
- Jared.
Old 11-17-2005 | 07:12 AM
rcdash

yep, what amthar said, get it to work on a G35 and your gonna generate a lot of interest because of the high number of car PCs (thanks to DigitalWheelz custom touchscreen kit available for our cars).

I use the OBDII ISO protocol now (www.myscantool.com) and it is a nice piece of software (that will even estimate dyno #s and do track runs), but most of the sensors are not supported. And the scan rate is slow...

Be sure to post an announcement over at g35driver.com when you've got a product available for testing and/or sale. (i want in on the group buy please!)

Last edited by rcdash; 11-17-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2005 | 09:36 AM
amthar

I'd really like an SDK or some other way to hook in through your application. I am interested in some custom charting, graphing, statistical analysis on the data. So an SDK would me super sweet. I want in on the group buy too
Old 11-17-2005 | 10:18 AM
FaSSt2001

I'd definately be interested in this if it works on the G35, and I don't see why it wouldn't. It would save me a lot of time not having to write this software myself and I'm not familiar with the Nissan protocol for talking to the computer. I would also second the request for an SDK for those of us capable of doing our own custom data manipulation.

Also, what is the scan rate using the Nissan protocol?
Old 11-17-2005 | 12:16 PM
Nathan

PunKidd
I'll will certainly take one if they are availaible by Feb/ March 06
Could not wait any longer as I really need something now.
I appreciate your comments on the reflash, Not for the Feint Harted.
A colleuge purchased the Tectom software for the Z & is having a lot of hartache. It's not like any other form of aftermarket ECU program software
Old 11-17-2005 | 12:34 PM
oman_

Default Sdk

Originally Posted by amthar
I'd really like an SDK or some other way to hook in through your application. I am interested in some custom charting, graphing, statistical analysis on the data. So an SDK would me super sweet. I want in on the group buy too

An sdk isn't planned but is possible. The datalogger currently exports log files in human readable ascii text. Shorter logs can be loaded into microsoft excel without any modification but it currently complains if the logs have too many samples. Writing your own application to read and graph the logs should be trivial. Also part of my long term plans for the product include a script language that you can use to analyze/process data. I was thinking Lua or Python

This is NOT I repeat NOT going to make it into the first release It's just something I thought would be cool while trying to datalog on my own car
Old 11-17-2005 | 12:39 PM
PunKidd

Yeah, we've used the TechTom system to flash Subarus. Extremely unfriendly software. They don't even tell you what is what in the ROM. You have to figure that out on your own. I still don't know how they justify their high prices, but I guess when you don't have any competition, that's what you do.

I'm talking to our software developer to see what it would take to work in SDK output.
Old 11-17-2005 | 12:40 PM
PunKidd

I'm too slow... he answered the SDK question already .
Old 11-17-2005 | 12:46 PM
oman_

Originally Posted by dovla
PunKidd, this cipher sounds too good. What is estimated price?

Any chance that it will be touchscreen friendly, and could it be connected permanently to carputer? Are there plans to have plugin for some of the popular front ends on MP3Car.com Forums (FrodoPlayer, RoadRunner, CentraFuse, etc)? Thanks

I'm personally interested in making CIPHER work with in-car PCs and touch-screens. Anybody who's interested drop me a private message with the features you'd like to see and any testing you'd be able to do.

One of the reasons we picked the orange LCD graphics scheme is so that it would look good with interior of our 350
Old 11-17-2005 | 01:10 PM
balaguru

What's the max sensor scan rate? I see 5/sec over the ISO 9141 line.
Old 11-17-2005 | 02:45 PM
oman_

Originally Posted by balaguru
What's the max sensor scan rate? I see 5/sec over the ISO 9141 line.

Currently we're getting about 20 samples a second while logging 16 simultaneous parameters. It really depends on the sensor you're logging since they don't all get read the same.
Old 11-22-2005 | 03:31 PM
UpRev
Banned

The Group Buy for Cipher is ON.
GB pricing is $340 ($400 MSRP) with a min quantity of 30.

Check out www.uprev.com to learn more about Cipher.

We'll put a new thread up on the GB forum in the next couple weeks with the full details. If you want to make sure you don't miss out, send us an email at Sales@UpRev.com to get on the notification list.
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:35 PM
FaSSt2001

Awesome! Is it going to work on the G too? How about also including the reflash free when it's released to those that do the group buy. Hey, it's worth a try. I sure hope we can get 30 people.
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:25 PM
dovla

Perhaps I didn’t read carefully, and if so – I apologize, but wasn’t initial PunKidd post watered down while numbers (GB price and minimum buyers) were increased. While starvation for ConZult on Consult 2 goes on, for product that have yet to deliver “next year”, with probably additional cost, I say numbers might be too high for read only.

“20 samples a second”? Please list exposed sensors. Thanks

Does someone knows what is rapid packet mode (to get 250 or more OBD-II packets each second) and if our ECU supports it?

Anyone tried Mongoose from Drewtech yet?
Old 11-22-2005 | 06:30 PM
beeman

I just found out about Mongoose today and am real interested. The price is a little better, and the additional software, PCMScan, looks interesting, but I have to do more research first.
Old 11-23-2005 | 06:00 AM
rcdash

PCMScan looks like a "generic" OBDII scan software only. The CAN protocol that Nissan uses has a proprietary packet scheme that I have yet to see "broken" before this Cipher product.
Old 11-23-2005 | 03:48 PM
beeman

What about the Mongoose hardware then? I am new to this, and am looking for something the is easy for n00bs to start with, but has the ability to do more as I progress. I am looking for hardware that can be connected at all times, for it will be connected to a in car PC, and software that I can "grow" with.
Old 11-24-2005 | 02:21 PM
rcdash

Generic OBDII on our cars (well, I've only tested my G35) is *very* limited. You can get rpm, speed, engine load, throttle position, some oxygen sensors, air intake temp, and not much more. THe one time my ECU threw a code, it could not read it (came up as P0000, which means nothing when in reality it was a Nissan-specific code indicating that the battery for the ECU had drained - cause I was doing stereo work and had it disconnected for the weekend).

Several products can work over the much faster CAN interface. But that doesn't mean squat unless they can decipher what the data is being transmitted. And that has been locked away in Nissan's Consult product that sells for $2-3k.

So if Cipher has managed to decrypt Nissan's data protocol, then it will be well worth the $400 to be able to read *all* the sensors and *all* the check engine conditions.
Old 11-26-2005 | 04:33 PM
maximumsportZ

interested.
Old 11-26-2005 | 05:37 PM
fe2

Interested too!

Quick Reply: PC interface and software