Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

PC interface and software

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005 | 08:48 PM
UpRev
Banned

We apologize for the delay on the parameter list request.
You will find the current listing here....
http://www.uprev.com/products/CipherEngParamR1.pdf
These have now been verified on both the 350Z and the G35.

RCDash, you are 100% correct and thank you for the support.
Old 12-01-2005 | 01:07 AM
raditz

I can't see support for the exhaust timming equipped in the rev-up engine, will be support or not?
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:23 AM
rcdash

Thanks for publishing the list. Does Cipher read the "switch/relay" parameters as on/off or can it actually trigger/set these?
Old 12-01-2005 | 07:14 AM
overZealous1

no knock sensor still?
Old 12-01-2005 | 07:34 AM
PunKidd

Setting of the control relays will not be part of the first release of Cipher, but should be easily worked into future updates.

Nissan ECUs don’t support any Knock sensor output; we are however working on a knock solution. Unfortunately it will not be available for the first release of Cipher.
Old 12-09-2005 | 08:42 PM
UpRev
Banned

The Group Buy for Cipher is now up.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....95#post1917095
Old 12-10-2005 | 05:21 AM
dovla

Great, I am in. Thank you

… Cipher unlocks the Nissan specific On-Board protocol …
Would this unlocking void Nissan’s warranty? Speaking of warranty, does Cipher have any? Thanks
Old 12-13-2005 | 03:17 PM
UpRev
Banned

Cipher was designed to function in the same manner as the dealer
diagnostic tools. The use of dealership tools does not void warranties.
The Unlocking mentioned could be considered more of a decoding of protocol.

If at any time you are experiencing problems with cipher, our support
team is available to make things right...
Old 12-13-2005 | 04:08 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Any news on the carPC aspect?

Chris
Old 12-14-2005 | 05:36 AM
jcpeyton

subscribing
Old 12-14-2005 | 06:53 AM
oman_

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Any news on the carPC aspect?

Chris

I'm very interested in making Cipher THE solution for in-car PCs on Nissans. Forward any feature requests my way so I know what people are looking for.

John - UpRev
Old 12-14-2005 | 07:45 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Originally Posted by oman_
I'm very interested in making Cipher THE solution for in-car PCs on Nissans. Forward any feature requests my way so I know what people are looking for.

John - UpRev
I am not even sure what to ask for. Do you have a sample app, one that has screens and settings but can't be hooked up to the car so I can run it on my test box to see how well it works within the confines of a small touch screen type environment?

If you want I can sign a confidentiality agreement, I am not a software writer and have no interest in selling anything. It's just that $340 is a lot to pay around the holidays without knowing exactly what you are getting and how useful it will be. I have a shelf full of software and hardware that I only used a few times and realized it was not worth the money.

I am not trying to bust your ***** on this thread, I imagine there are others who are riding the same fence.

Chris
Old 12-14-2005 | 03:00 PM
sfarrah

Curious about this also. Any knock sensor readings? I would consider this a critical component to have, esp for a tuning tool.

Originally Posted by overZealous1
no knock sensor still?
Old 12-14-2005 | 05:56 PM
UpRev
Banned

sfarrah,

We are working on a solution for knock, but it will not be in the initial release.
The difficulty is that the ECU uses the knock only for DTCs. This doesn't really help for tuning, by the time it would register it's too late and your in limp mode or worse. Since it is a non-standard parameter for regular ECU functions, it takes more R&D to get a usable reading.
Old 12-15-2005 | 02:44 AM
oman_

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I am not even sure what to ask for. Do you have a sample app, one that has screens and settings but can't be hooked up to the car so I can run it on my test box to see how well it works within the confines of a small touch screen type environment?

Chris

^ that's a good idea. I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-19-2005 | 05:31 PM
rcdash

Touch screens usually operate in 800x600. So if your GUI functions well with that (and still has large buttons, etc) it should be fine on a in-car touchscreen.

I have another quick ?. Your website mentions wideband A/F ratio for 2004.5 and up cars. I purchased my 2004 5AT coupe G35 in August 2004. How to confirm that it is a ".5" version? (In other words, confirm the presence of wideband O2 sensors?)

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2005 | 05:47 PM
dovla

rcdash, you should be fine, I think, VINs up to 800000 are pre 04.5.
Old 12-20-2005 | 10:11 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Here's a question:

the cipher plugs into the OBD II port, correct?

The reason I ask is that I have a Blitz R-Vit meter which read and displays up to 6 parameters that the OBD-II outputs. It's a small, nice looking, easy to use display that I don't have to have a computer attached to to use. I would like to be able to continue using this, while at the same time have the cipher running on my in car computer. I would like the Blitz meter for basic mter functions, as I use it now, and the cipher for more advanced functions, when I bother turning on my in car computer (which I don't do on every trip)

So, to accomplish this, I would need some sort of pass through conection, or signal splitter so that both the cipher cable, and the blitz cable could be plugged into the OBDII port at the same time. Is that at all possible, or woudl the spliiting of the signal degrade the signal quality so that neither of the two gets good readings?

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-21-2005 | 04:49 AM
DomZ

I have one question, will Cipher allow me to run at FULL ADVANCE all the time?
Old 12-21-2005 | 06:25 AM
dovla

I have no intentions to have cables hanging around. Depending on if Cypher connector contains any parts in connector or not, I intend to either install additional OBD-II port in the upper glove box in G35 (where I keep USB hub), or have it hardwired to the back of OBD-II connector.

J1962F Assembly

CAN pins:
5 Ground
6 Data
14 Data
16 Power

Probably only pins 6 and 14 are needed.

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Here's a question:

the cipher plugs into the OBD II port, correct?

The reason I ask is that I have a Blitz R-Vit meter which read and displays up to 6 parameters that the OBD-II outputs. It's a small, nice looking, easy to use display that I don't have to have a computer attached to to use. I would like to be able to continue using this, while at the same time have the cipher running on my in car computer. I would like the Blitz meter for basic mter functions, as I use it now, and the cipher for more advanced functions, when I bother turning on my in car computer (which I don't do on every trip)

So, to accomplish this, I would need some sort of pass through conection, or signal splitter so that both the cipher cable, and the blitz cable could be plugged into the OBDII port at the same time. Is that at all possible, or woudl the spliiting of the signal degrade the signal quality so that neither of the two gets good readings?

Thanks
Dave

Quick Reply: PC interface and software