Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Z owner, Need ideas for some power ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Kam350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z owner, Need ideas for some power ...

I just bought an 03 track Z, and i want to do some modest upgrades to the car. I believe my car already has a popcharger, so that takes care of the intake part. I don't want to risk the engine life longevity by doing FI, so i was wondering what upgrades i should do and what upgrades arent worth the money to get some more power.

I was looking at the HKS hi power exhaust. It says it gains an avg. of 11 hp. That sounds decent. I heard headers doing do anything, so I'm staying away from that.

Anyway, my main goal is to gain as much HP and shorten my quarter mile (and 0-60) by going NA without risking the engine. I don't want to use drag radials to improve times. How can I do this? What upgrades will boost the car at least 20 or 30 hp? Also, what can i do to lighten the car (because the lighter the car the faster, right?)

Please help me out. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Daytona350Texas

read the post JUST under yours, wheres alberto and that posting video i saw a while back, its hilarious and u need to watch it
Old 01-12-2006, 08:57 PM
iyah

LOL, he didn't answer your question.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Kam350z

ha, alright i cheked out the other post. My friend actually has a Z with 3.91 gears on it, and it doesnt seem faster than mine (he has 19 inch volk rims and some huge APR brakes, maybe that made his car heavier? i have the brembos and the rays rims), but do you guys think the 3.91 would make my car way faster? In 0-60 and quarter times, how much faster? Also, what can be done to make the car lighter?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:11 AM
steakpinoy

You might also wanna list your budget. But assuming that money isn't a limiting factor for you and you wanna stay NA, I would recommend some kind of spacer (Crawford and Motordyne make awesome plenum mods). Despite what you heard about headers, they can make a difference if combined with other mods (especially a cat-back exhaust, like HKS, Nismo, or APS). Also, consider getting some kind of catalytic converter replacement (test pipes if your not in CA, but hi-flow cats if you are). Also get a lightweight crank pulley (either by UR or KJR; both are good brands). To top it off, you can either get an ECU reflash or some kind of computer management system. Technosquare makes some good ECU reflash maps and the UTEC system is great also, especially if you decide to custom tune the maps yourself or decide to add other breathing mods in the future.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Dubai

I recommend the performance mods I have in my sig!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Kam350z
I just bought an 03 track Z, and i want to do some modest upgrades to the car. I believe my car already has a popcharger, so that takes care of the intake part. I don't want to risk the engine life longevity by doing FI, so i was wondering what upgrades i should do and what upgrades arent worth the money to get some more power.

I was looking at the HKS hi power exhaust. It says it gains an avg. of 11 hp. That sounds decent. I heard headers doing do anything, so I'm staying away from that.

Anyway, my main goal is to gain as much HP and shorten my quarter mile (and 0-60) by going NA without risking the engine. I don't want to use drag radials to improve times. How can I do this? What upgrades will boost the car at least 20 or 30 hp? Also, what can i do to lighten the car (because the lighter the car the faster, right?)

Please help me out. Thanks.

My sig got me 70 whp and it cost 7K installed. For that amount of money you could purchase a single turbo kit & if you're inclined install it yourself, but that's not something I would do at home. Anyway you would have way more whp than I do.

By the way remove that Bose Sound System out of your sig. You'll get flamed for it around here. But it looks like you have a nice Z to start with.

Last edited by ZON; 01-13-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:45 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course you read https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50429? What did you take away from this thread?