Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone have problems power shifting with B&M?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
beastie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Rouge SS and really like it but sometimes have a difficult time shifting into 6th gear.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 PM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chebosto
for all of you having issues with 6th gear. make sure you readjust the blue & gold triangle plates after install. it has a tendency to shift a little bit.

i've had my shifter for over 15k miles and i love the throw. i drift and road race with it. just slightly annoying rattle under WOT, but i see why so many people have issues with it.
The picture is great. However, I left a millimeter space between the shift lever pin and the edge of the brass stop--in 5th and 6th gear. That's exactly how it was adjusted stock and my shifting is perfect now with the B&M. I think if you bring it in too close, it could interfere with smooth shifting into those two gears for some folks.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:16 PM
tcn75

I had the B&M short shifter version 1 which is very hard to get into 6th gear. I returned it with the reciept, so they sent me the Version 2 which didn't have any problem except the rattle noise. I used stock ***, and there was one day i decided to twist it a little bit harder so maybe i could get the rattle noise off. Guess what happened ? The shifter broke off, and the little top of the shifter stick in the ***, I had to buy some tool at home depot to get that thing out. Returned it and got a new one which is still in my garage. So if anyone plan to install the B&M shifter, becareful, dont twist it too hard. The shifter is made by aluminium, not steel like the stock one.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
gersteinp

Originally Posted by tcn75
I had the B&M short shifter version 1 which is very hard to get into 6th gear. I returned it with the reciept, so they sent me the Version 2 which didn't have any problem except the rattle noise. I used stock ***, and there was one day i decided to twist it a little bit harder so maybe i could get the rattle noise off. Guess what happened ? The shifter broke off, and the little top of the shifter stick in the ***, I had to buy some tool at home depot to get that thing out. Returned it and got a new one which is still in my garage. So if anyone plan to install the B&M shifter, becareful, dont twist it too hard. The shifter is made by aluminium, not steel like the stock one.
The stick is actually made of stainless steel. From the description:

This stylized precision shifter includes many of the key features found in race shifters including a stainless steel stick assembly, machined aluminum pivot.

The pivot is black anodized machined aluminum--the stick is steel. You either cranked that thing on with tremendous torque or had a defective stick.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:22 PM
gersteinp

Just to add-- I removed all the boots and exposed the pivot today. The rattle that eveyone is getting is coming from the pivot smacking against the sides of the transmission case "cup" and the underside of the blue spacer supplied with the B&M. The looseness of the pivot in the transmission housing also causes some unecessary slop in the system--although less than stock. I called B&M tech support today to report the design defect--basically too small a diameter pivot housing--or lack of rubberized isolation of metal to metal contact. Tech support was great and, hopefully, the design guys will take another look at this. I told B&M that lots of folks on the board were complaining about rattling.