Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone have problems power shifting with B&M?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
DaytonaBlue04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have problems power shifting with B&M?

Well, I just installed a B&M shifter in my Z and I'm satisfied with the throw length and feel but after test driving I cant power shift (no lift of throttle) like I could with the stock shifter. Does anyone else have this problem? Its almost as if the stock shifter is a little more forgiving and you dont have to be as "accurate" when shifting into the next gear. I think this problem with the B&M may be because of the imprecise fit between the shifter base and shifter cup not allowing the blocking ring to fully engage the syncros. If that's the case, then this thing is going into the dumpster. There is no point in sacrificing a transmission for shorter throw and better feel if I cant "bang gears". Any thoughts? Suggestions? Rants of your own?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Zxtreme

Same problem here!!

Last edited by Zxtreme; 01-16-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 PM
DaytonaBlue04

Im thinking about swapping out the B&M for the stock shifter. At least I have better control with it.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:35 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes ut us VERY hard learing where the gears are with the B&M it took me alot of time but got use to it and now its just as good as stock... STOCK WAS SWEET!
Old 01-16-2006, 06:35 PM
ReavTek

I had a B&M.. hated it. Difficult to power shift and it would always get stuck going into 6th because of a ****ty reverse lockout design. Since I lost my receipt B&M wouldn't give me a refund, *******s.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Ive tried all the shifters... except the 350evo one...

I went back to stock shifter... much better shifting...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:01 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well right on then... there goes my recent thoughts of purchasing the B&M. thanks for saving me 150 or so.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:18 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

same here had a b&m for a short while, loved the throw but couldnt ever seem to get 6th gear, so i said fawk it and put stock back in.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:04 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk
well right on then... there goes my recent thoughts of purchasing the B&M. thanks for saving me 150 or so.
+1 here.....Maybe the Nismo adjustable shifter???
Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the thread titled Worst Mods I have Made. Several members have regretted the B&M short shifter.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats why I dont buy short shifters for ANY car anymore, I learned this lesson on my last car. Kinda hard to slam a shifter with a very small throw-its doable, but much more forgiving with the stock set-up.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

B&M makes good beans, but their shifter sucks. As soon as I can, it comes off.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 AM
fahrenheit350

Wow, just finished reading this thread and I am surprised with the dissatifationWow, just finished reading this thread and I am surprised with the dissatisfaction of B&M. I was considering B&M as a short shifter in place of stock, is there a good short shifter people have tried and are happy with?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
one350zfan

I've had my B&M for a couple of months and love it. I was into Hondas a while back and always had a short shifter so the rough shift wasn't shocking. As far as sixth gear and reverse goes, I over filed the area on the metal ring and didn't have a problem. I couldn't power shift faster than I can now with the short shifter. First and second gear feel like one long gear. You do have to show it who's boss though.

I think im in the minority , but I like the go-kart feel of a short shifter. If it takes you longer to shift with it, then remove it, for thats the purpose(my opinion). I have noticed a little rattle during certain rmp's, but I think its the shift ***.? I popped the threads re-installing it.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
+1 here.....Maybe the Nismo adjustable shifter???
that was even worse...

its not a "NISMO" product, its NISSAN MOTORSPORTS made buy a guy who is probably going to post after I post this...
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 AM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by one350zfan
I've had my B&M for a couple of months and love it. I was into Hondas a while back and always had a short shifter so the rough shift wasn't shocking. As far as sixth gear and reverse goes, I over filed the area on the metal ring and didn't have a problem. I couldn't power shift faster than I can now with the short shifter. First and second gear feel like one long gear. You do have to show it who's boss though.

I think im in the minority , but I like the go-kart feel of a short shifter. If it takes you longer to shift with it, then remove it, for thats the purpose(my opinion). I have noticed a little rattle during certain rmp's, but I think its the shift ***.? I popped the threads re-installing it.
1+. See my post in the FI section. The B&M is top quality product built way beefier than stock. I like both the throw and the precision. However, I don't powershift with an open throttle--I'd like to keep my syncros around for more than a couple of years.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

I just installed topspeed copy of B&M. Love the precise feel of it. No problem with 6th and reverse.. It requires more muscle to shift. It feels stiffer than stock, so powershifting/quickshifting requires lots of muscle.. I used to have a clunk shifting into 2nd gear, but I don't get that anymore.. That's a plus... But I have lots of rattle coming from the shifter. I've noticed that stock shifter shaft is coated with rubber.. I'm gonna have to look into this rattling...
Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
gersteinp

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I just installed topspeed copy of B&M. Love the precise feel of it. No problem with 6th and reverse.. It requires more muscle to shift. It feels stiffer than stock, so powershifting/quickshifting requires lots of muscle.. I used to have a clunk shifting into 2nd gear, but I don't get that anymore.. That's a plus... But I have lots of rattle coming from the shifter. I've noticed that stock shifter shaft is coated with rubber.. I'm gonna have to look into this rattling...
If you check out my post in the FI section, I had a metallic rattle that was completely eliminated by removing the chamfered spacer that I shouldn't have taken off the old stick and put on the new one. There's a softer vibration I can hear under hard acceleration that I'm pretty sure is from the cup in the transmission housing (the one you lube). That doesn't bother me and is just one of those things that comes along with high-performance equipment.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

for all of you having issues with 6th gear. make sure you readjust the blue & gold triangle plates after install. it has a tendency to shift a little bit.

i've had my shifter for over 15k miles and i love the throw. i drift and road race with it. just slightly annoying rattle under WOT, but i see why so many people have issues with it.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
D350Z10

I have not had any problems.... Just got to get use to it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems power shifting with B&M?