Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Koyo Radiator porblems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 06:03 AM
jmckuhen

Default Koyo Radiator porblems?

Hey guys, I just got my car back from the shop where they installed a new Koyo radiator. The problem is that when the car is sitting or stopped at a stop light the heat blows cold air. When I start going again the heat starts to warm up again, but when I stop it goes back to cold. Is it supposed to do this or do i have a problem with my heater core?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:18 AM
John@Victory

sounds like you are going to have to change thermostats. that one too cool since the radiator replacement ..

not positive but what it sound like to me
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:33 AM
jmckuhen

Really? Its the stock thermostat. I didn't replace it with the Nismo one. Maybe its just cause I live in the armpit of the world here in Cincy. So I guess I just might have to live with this crap.
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:38 AM
John@Victory

now that i look at your post again i dont think that what i stated is the problem. i mis-read what you were saying. im not sure what the problem is
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:50 AM
jmckuhen

Anyone else care to take a whack at what the problem could be?
Old 01-24-2006 | 08:31 AM
arizzee

you probably have air in your cooling system. need to bleed out the air.
Old 01-24-2006 | 08:44 AM
teh215

I would bet that the problem is that the coolant is too low.
Old 01-24-2006 | 08:46 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by arizzee
you probably have air in your cooling system. need to bleed out the air.
+1. The cooling system for the VQ35 is notorious for being a biatch to bleed. You think it has no air pockets and two weeks later the chit comes back. You can take it to the dealer. They have some special tool or something. It is like $80 though.
Old 01-24-2006 | 08:52 AM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

Its probably going to be your thermostat. Mine started by doing that, we bled the system then eventually the thermostat wouldn't open. Watch the engine temp and make sure it doesn't get to high if it does change the thermostat. Im on my 4th one.

I had a stock before turbo kit.
Changed to Nismo on turbo kit.
18k miles on turbo kit bought another nismo
Just yesterday I replaced it with another stock one. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:04 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by barthelb
Im on my 4th one.

I had a stock before turbo kit.
Changed to Nismo on turbo kit.
18k miles on turbo kit bought another nismo
Just yesterday I replaced it with another stock one. We'll see how it goes.
that sucks! I replaced my stock with the Nismo after installing my PE radiator. About two months later it overheated and I thought I had bubbles. Never investaged the termostat cause I had other problems with the motor.

This is not the 1st time I hear of someone having to replace several thermostats. I think I am just going to remove mine. It doesn't get that cold in Miami anyway.

How do you test the thermostat to see if it is not working?
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:20 AM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

Im not a mechanic but i'd assume by what the OP said. That may be a sign but not tell tale. Or if your engine temp gets really hot and then eventually it opens up and you see the temp fall real quick i'd say thats a sign. Cool air coming out when engine temp is already normal. Those are at least the signs i saw, also it wanted to stall a lot more.

Originally Posted by Gman2004
that sucks! I replaced my stock with the Nismo after installing my PE radiator. About two months later it overheated and I thought I had bubbles. Never investaged the termostat cause I had other problems with the motor.

This is not the 1st time I hear of someone having to replace several thermostats. I think I am just going to remove mine. It doesn't get that cold in Miami anyway.

How do you test the thermostat to see if it is not working?
Old 01-24-2006 | 02:05 PM
jmckuhen

So the general consensus is that I either have air in the cooling system or my thermostat is a POS. Well at least I have something to go check. Thanks for the help guys, I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old 01-25-2006 | 04:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

it's likely an air issue- it can very often mask itself as a thermostat issue
Old 01-25-2006 | 02:36 PM
jmckuhen

Originally Posted by G35 6MT
Back to the original complaint

Idle ...... No heat
Driving (ie more RPM) ...heat

All that indicates that there is air is in the system and it is collected in the heater core.

Keeping a eye on the engine temp is a good idea to see if a theremostat is starting to fail. High temps that either stay high or drop suddenly will indicate a thermostat opening or sticking problem. Time to yank it out and do the boil the thermostat in a pot of water to see if it opens routine. Don't forget the thermometer
My water temp gauge functions just like normally, no fluctuations. I am taking it back to the shop on Friday under the assumption that their is air in the cooling system that needs to be bled out. Thanks for everyone's help!

Vince
Old 01-25-2006 | 05:15 PM
SGP-BFH

It is true that the z33 can be a ***** to bleed the cooling system. In order to get all the air out of the system, fill up the radiator and cap it off. Then take the plastic bleeder screw out of the heater hose and fill from there as well. Get in the car and start the engine, run the heater full blast and hold the rpms at 3000 until the engine is up to temp and the heater blows hot. Wait for it to cool down and repeat as necessary.
Old 01-25-2006 | 05:16 PM
SGP-BFH

It is true that the z33 can be a ***** to bleed the cooling system. In order to get all the air out of the system, fill up the radiator and cap it off. Then take the plastic bleeder screw out of the heater hose and fill from there as well. Get in the car and start the engine, run the heater full blast and hold the rpms at 3000 until the engine is up to temp and the heater blows hot. Wait for it to cool down and repeat as necessary.

A dead giveaway for a bad thermostat is when the engine is up to temp and one radiator hose is not hot.
Old 01-25-2006 | 05:19 PM
MIAPLAYA

The thermostats on this car suck. Both stock and Nismo. I had a similar issue to barthelb. Had stock one...it stopped opening. Replaced with another stock. 2 months laters..same thing...I finally just pulled it completely. Haven't run a thermostat in 10k miles now. My water temps went from 195-200 when cruising to 180-190. Under hard driving water temps is around 195-200. Highest it ever got with no thermostat was at Cal Speedway running the car HARD it was 105 outside and my water temp was 205.
Old 01-25-2006 | 05:40 PM
jmckuhen

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The thermostats on this car suck. Both stock and Nismo. I had a similar issue to barthelb. Had stock one...it stopped opening. Replaced with another stock. 2 months laters..same thing...I finally just pulled it completely. Haven't run a thermostat in 10k miles now. My water temps went from 195-200 when cruising to 180-190. Under hard driving water temps is around 195-200. Highest it ever got with no thermostat was at Cal Speedway running the car HARD it was 105 outside and my water temp was 205.
Holy crap! Is that safe? Could it damage the engine doing that?
Old 01-25-2006 | 05:42 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by jmckuhen
Holy crap! Is that safe? Could it damage the engine doing that?
It hasn't on my last two cars but people will say it could potentially cause damage to the water pump due to less restriction not preventing cavitation at the pump, or that the water will not cool as well cause its flowing faster (obviously not true), but "they" say a lot...it works for me..
Old 01-27-2006 | 11:57 AM
jmckuhen

Just got back from the shop and the problem is fixed....i hope. Heat works now and the temp gauge is steady. They called nissan to find out how to get the air out of the system and it goes a little something like this......

Lift front end of car (very important)
remove radiator cap (make sure car is cool or you get spewage)
start car
run at 1500rpm for 10-15 mins with full heat blowing
replace radiator cap
lower vehicle
your done!

I believe this is exactally how he explained it to me. He also said that nissan did not have a special tool to do this, they just follow the procedure above.

Thanks,
Vince

Quick Reply: Koyo Radiator porblems?