Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Should I get the NISMO swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get the NISMO swaybars?

Should I get the NISMO swaybars instaled oon the stock suspension? What are your thoughts...how hard are they to install (not planning on doing it myself at all)....does it include new bushings?...or did I read that wrong.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:18 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I was thinking of doing just that, because of the concerns of lowering it and the camber issue. I believe Skidazzle said the front one is harder and you might need a lift or a way to jack it up safely. The sway bars should provide a lot of improvement on handling and should not matter if it is stock suspension or not. I am also concerned with lowering it and getting a hard ride I really don't want all of the time.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Audito350Z

you should really ask yourself, "Why do I want NISMO swaybars?"

When you add larger diameter swaybars, you actually take away some of the effectiveness of the independence of the front and rear suspension. You are linking them together with an even tighter link than from the factory.

The car will ride a little more rough because now the one side is connected to the other side with a stronger link. The suspension will be tighter, even if you leave the OEM springs and shocks. And, to answer that question; Yes, there is nothing wrong with adding the larger bars to the OEM springs and shocks.

Do you really need that extra flatness in the corners when you drive to the office every morning? Do you want to sacrifice the factory-determined slip angles and camber angles of the front suspension and perhaps induce dangerous oversteer into your everyday driving?

That is up to you to decide.

Now, if you are competing in the US Touring Car Championships and you need that extra handling edge, then by all means add the swaybars.

For daily driving, I'd say it's overkill. I'd recommend you take the car to a high-performance driving event where you are given an instructor for the weekend and you get to sort out what you and your car can do at the racetrack. You will find that your car can do a WHOLE lot more that you are capable of on your first weekend at the track.

By the second weekend, however, I can assure you that you will start to push the car to its limits. Maybe once the track-event bug hits and you want to extend the limits of your car... then add the swaybars.

Here in Texas we have an organization called www.TheDriversedge.net that puts on at least 6 events a year at two different tracks. Lots of fun. You learn how to DRIVE the car, not just turn it on and make it go forward. Try to find something like that in your area and do at least one weekend. You will LOVE it.

Hope that helps.

PeteH
Old 01-22-2003, 12:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will find that your car can do a WHOLE lot more that you are capable of on your first weekend at the track.
aint that the truth. I wonder how many people have actually tested the cars cornering ability.

I took it around a exit ramp on a freeway, late at night, following a friend in a civic that was trying to show off. so he takes this like 270degree loop at about 55mph. the car was tilting like a mother. you could tell it was squatting down REAL hard on the outside wheels, but oddly, with the constant turn and just enough gas to keep it moving foward it didnt oversteer or understeer, and it took the turn with Gforces I had never felt in my life.

with that said, I would have liked some sway bars to keep the car from tilting as it did. but it really would take a race track to see those kind of manuevers again.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Audito350Z

From your description, Ares, sounds to me like the Z handles very well on the street. I bet a larger rear bar would help control some of that tilt.

I had an Audi A4 prior to ordering the Z. I took it to the track bone stock for two events before I started making changes.

You think a Z understeers... try sticking the engine out in FRONT of the front wheels! Sure, Quattro is nice. But it took stiffer springs, stiffer shocks and a 19mm rear bar to make that thing neutral.

And, that was at the track... none of that stuff really makes a difference on the street. It does not make sense to me to make a lot of changes if the car is never going to see a race track.

All that said... I will evaluate the Z at the track and see how it handles. If I think I need to cure the understeer, I'll mess with tire pressures first. But I will prbably end up with swaybars at some point.

PeteH
Old 01-22-2003, 04:50 PM
raceboy
Banned

Tire pressure adjustments are not nearly enough.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:03 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our sway bars will be available soon to the public.The front and rear bars are adjustable for better tuning. Just going bigger on the rear bar is not a good idea.........Its all about balance
We will be racing with all our suspension products ................
Old 01-22-2003, 06:23 PM
2003z

Originally posted by dwnshift
Our sway bars will be available soon to the public.The front and rear bars are adjustable for better tuning. Just going bigger on the rear bar is not a good idea.........Its all about balance
We will be racing with all our suspension products ................
So how would one know how to adjust them? Is there a default setting then you move them one way or another based on how it feels to you?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:48 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front and rear bars have 3 mounting holes for the drop links to attach onto. Depending on which hole the drop links are mounted to, changes the rate of the bar.
This NISMO products are great but what you get is what you have there is no abjustability for differnt conditions. With our bars you can have a street set up for normal driving condtions and have a much more agressive setup for track days or autocross or in between. It gives you options for differnt conditions.