Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UTEC question.. I guess kinda stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
2slo2bfurious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTEC question.. I guess kinda stupid?

Before I go out and buy a bunch of different cables, is the serial db9 jack the only way to hook up the utec to a laptop? I see there's a rj12, db9, usb on the thing, but the manual only says "serial" connection, so I'm thinking only the db9?

If so, then my laptop only has usb ports, a db15 and a rj45 jacks... can I just use the usb? or do I need something like a db9-usb adapter? Thanks...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it has a USB
Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
2slo2bfurious

Cool thanks... going buy and usb cable and install it now
Old 02-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Ztampa

are you tuning yourself, or taking it to a pro?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM
2slo2bfurious

Tuning myself, been at it all afternoon, trying to get used to hyperterminal, but I don't have all my parts in yet to really do anything. I really don't like this UI though, hopefully turboxs will come out with something a little more user friendly.

Oh and is there a mounting solution or bracket for g35's anyone?? Modified my bracket but its still not a great fit...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by 2slo2bfurious
Tuning myself, been at it all afternoon, trying to get used to hyperterminal, but I don't have all my parts in yet to really do anything. I really don't like this UI though, hopefully turboxs will come out with something a little more user friendly.

Oh and is there a mounting solution or bracket for g35's anyone?? Modified my bracket but its still not a great fit...
The mounting bracket is not available for the G35 which is why you had a hard time fitting the UTEC.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Old 02-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Ztampa

Originally Posted by 2slo2bfurious

My Utec should arrive friday, and hopefully I will get it installed this weekend.
In the process of doing my homework on the Utec, I spent a lot of time on the evo and sti forums where they have boards dedicated to Utec tuning. People could share their maps and help each other. I doubt there is enough interest in DIY tuning right now to get a whole new board, but maybe we can get a small group going to help each other.

As far as the interface goes, it will take some getting used to, but there are some UI programs that work with previous versions of the Utec. One of them (datalog lab), is currently doing beta testing. I was going to do it, but decided that I need to spend the time getting used to the Utec first. If you're interested in the Beta testing let me know. I'll send you the info.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
2slo2bfurious

That would be exactly what I've been looking for, a thread or sticky on UTEC stuff for the 350z/g35 crowd. But yeah, definately not enough interest. I like wrxhackers.com forums, and nasioc forums, they've helped me alot. And try autologger, it even has a guage display and real time graphs. Datalogger isn't freeware either is it? I might be interested, but I really don't have enough knowledge about this stuff yet to be of much help