Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Cams and Nismo VTC???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 AM
done12many2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation JWT Cams and Nismo VTC???

I will be installing JWT cams during my build up this month and am trying to get more information regarding whether or not the Nismo VTC will aid any in the overall tuning.

I understand that the JWT cams are not nearly as aggressive as the high end Nismo racing cams or Tomei cams, but will the VTC help at all with overall tuning? I will be buying a UTEC for tuning regardless of whether or not I end up buying the VTC.

My internal setup is Wiseco 11.0 to 1 pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, JWT cams, and the JWT spring and shim set. If I will lose a bit of midrange with the JWT cams I would rather use the VTC controller, but if the majority of the forum members feel like this is a complete waste of money, I will just leave it out of the build up.

Please give me you thoughts on this!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 AM
jcarp

For Anybody Looking To Put Test Pipes On. The Parts Department Told Me That My Warranty Would Not Be Voided And I Will Still Have My Powertrain Warranty Just Not My Exhaust Warranty. My Motor Died On Me Friday With 2400 Miles And 1 Month Old And They Are Telling Me That I Have To Buy A New Motor Even Though It Was The Crank Or Tiiming Chain That Messed Up. Abunch Of Bs. Nissan Sucks
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 AM
rednezz

Originally Posted by done12many2
I will be installing JWT cams during my build up this month and am trying to get more information regarding whether or not the Nismo VTC will aid any in the overall tuning.

I understand that the JWT cams are not nearly as aggressive as the high end Nismo racing cams or Tomei cams, but will the VTC help at all with overall tuning? I will be buying a UTEC for tuning regardless of whether or not I end up buying the VTC.

My internal setup is Wiseco 11.0 to 1 pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, JWT cams, and the JWT spring and shim set. If I will lose a bit of midrange with the JWT cams I would rather use the VTC controller, but if the majority of the forum members feel like this is a complete waste of money, I will just leave it out of the build up.

Please give me you thoughts on this!
Depends on what you want. The VTC pullies are more for low end to mid range Torque with aggressive cams. Up top your stock pullies will work fine.
Attached Thumbnails JWT Cams and Nismo VTC???-vtc_chart.gif  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by jcarp
For Anybody Looking To Put Test Pipes On. The Parts Department Told Me That My Warranty Would Not Be Voided And I Will Still Have My Powertrain Warranty Just Not My Exhaust Warranty. My Motor Died On Me Friday With 2400 Miles And 1 Month Old And They Are Telling Me That I Have To Buy A New Motor Even Though It Was The Crank Or Tiiming Chain That Messed Up. Abunch Of Bs. Nissan Sucks
Did you just post in the wrong thread?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by rednezz
Depends on what you want. The VTC pullies are more for low end to mid range Torque with aggressive cams. Up top your stock pullies will work fine.
My understanding is that the cam are going to do what they do at the higher RPMs, but that the VTC allows you to add more to the midrange and low end.

With that said, do I lose a noticeable amount with the JWT cams in the low to mid end? Would the amount lost, justify the purchase of the VTC?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 AM
EM-EFER

My understanding is that the cam are going to do what they do at the higher RPMs, but that the VTC allows you to add more to the midrange and low end.

With that said, do I lose a noticeable amount with the JWT cams in the low to mid end? Would the amount lost, justify the purchase of the VTC?
Adam from Z1 would be a good person to ask
Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
rednezz

I don't have JWT cams but from the couple of dynos I have seen compared to my stock baseline dyno you don't lose that much from the low rpms to around 3500 rpm. After that they take off. If the angle on the VTC pullies are adjusted correctly I am sure you can gain a little more power in the mid to low ranges. The problem is I don't know what angles you need for the JWT cams. The VTC pullies were made for more aggressive cams than the JWT. In my opinion they would not be worth the expense for the JWT cams. You would probably spend more money experimenting with the angles and then not gain a whole bunch a power down low.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go, Richie has been doing alot with his engine. Good read

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=cheers+Richie

Later
Aceman