Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How can I make the 350z SOUND good???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:33 AM
flyz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I make the 350z SOUND good???

I have already posted and searched on the subject numerous times. There isn't a clear answer. The z sounds good to me but I need more. Some say just removing resonator and having a 2 and 1/4 inch piping in its place is good enough. Others say that this sounds horrible and you shouldn't do this. I remember someone telling me to unbolt the muffler and try that out (which I think I will soon). Others said messing with a Y-pipe and an injen intake will sound great. But there is no clear answer.

SO BOTTOM LINE: experts please, for the benefit of everyone what is the cheapest way to make the z sound louder,and more agressive; while not losing any hp, mabey gaining some.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Alang

Basically sound is a subjective thing. What sounds good to some sounds like crap to others (rap music is a perfect example of this).

If your primary concern was performance just take the system that provides the best HP that is in your budget and accept what ever it sounds like. By your post however, is appears that don't care about performance and only about sound. So you have to either have to find a car that sounds how you want and copy that or just start trying the things you have read about hear and on other boards until you find what you want.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:59 AM
j's350z

I don't know anything about being a sound expert but, I have the JWT pop charger and I removed the resonator with a direct bolt in pipe and made my own grounding kit. Total cost $300. I think it sounds great. When I downshift people walking turn their heads and when I dyno'd the car right after a stock Z, their was a noticeable difference... So, IMO, for $300. and a gain of 10HP and 8lbs of TQ. you can't go wrong... If you come to Cape May April 5th you can hear it..
Old 02-12-2003, 09:12 AM
flyz33

wow you ran a 13.90??? well I do care about performance, I just thought until a ECU chip comes out or whatever we won't have any significant gains. but I want to know everyones opinion on what to do, so I can try them out myself and it will be good for me and others reading this. I just think the z isn't nearly loud enough; and the engine reving up sounds really weak; not bad just needs to sound much more agressive. Then after I get the car sounding great, I can work on making the car FASTER.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:58 AM
mpol99

Default Re: How can I make the 350z SOUND good???

I know a way to make the car sound waaaay better (Its not cheap though)......

TURBO........ pssssshhhh

hehe

Sorry for wasting bandwith, hehe
Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM
3rdpower

have u cut the resignator?
If not - this is an inexpensive mod - there's plenty of information on this as well.

$50 bucks - a few extra ponies and definitely a different sound (sound is subjective). I personally like the gurggle.

Last edited by 3rdpower; 02-12-2003 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:15 AM
flyz33

well so it still half and half about removing the resonator?

what about messing around with the muffler, y-pipe, and intake???
Old 02-12-2003, 11:22 AM
kaiser23

You'll hear a small difference with an intake, but not really in the exhaust sound. Best thing to do is just replace the exhaust system with something a little more free flowing. Headers will also help with sound. You'll gain HP, and have a different sound. My buddy has a '99 cougar, and that car is quiet as hell stock, but he replaced the upper intake manifold, gutted the pre-cats, put on headers, and a true dual exhaust, and his car now sounds like a 5.0 mustang at idle. Sounds a little "leaf blower" at around 3000 rpm, but sounds good through the rest of the range.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:59 PM
flyz33

this thread has some good ideas, more input is needed though
Old 02-12-2003, 03:28 PM
gruppe-s mike

Hi guys, here are my thoughts on this

For the meanest sounding exhaust you'd have to replace it with an entirely new system. Basically the sound of the exhaust is dependant on how the muffler is designed (how many chambers does the muffler have? straight through design? size of muffler? etc...) Sound is also dependant on if the piping has a resonator or not.
Basically, if you replace just the y-pipe and get rid off all the cats your still dealing with the stock muffler which has a lot of dampening material and more than one chamber. This will cause the car to sound a little more raspy usually, kinda like a tin can or something to that effect.
If you want loud and mean, your best bet would be to go with a straight through muffler design like rsr's, kakimoto's gt1z, or others. This will also allow the air to exit the system quicker, since it has to pass through less chambers.
I hope this helped, I know there is a lot more stuff on this subject and i'll try to answer any other questions that arise

Thanks
Mike
mike@gruppe-s.com
www.gruppe-s.com
Old 02-12-2003, 06:23 PM
zogan

which is better jwt pop or aem short??????

decided to make another thread on this off subject

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=19362

Last edited by zogan; 02-12-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:39 PM
DEMOman

Is it going to be possible to make these cars not sound like your neighborhood Pimpdaddy Honda?

I see many of these aftermarket exhausts advertized and they "look" to be the same thing that I hate so very much about the import scene. God-d@mned 6 inch tips on a 1.6 liter powered CRX. ...All sorts of nice and shiney Stainless Steel. Like that's not a joke. As if these guys are going to keep their car for the next 500,000 miles. "We'll it won't rust and it came with a lifetime guarantee!"

I'm tempted to take a flowmaster dual in dual out and have some L pipes welded on it and made to fit.
Just to see how it sounds.
I refused to pay $1200 for a fancy SS job on my 911 too. I got the idea from another buddy to try a Flowmaster muffler and the thing kicks ***. That 3.0L flat six may as well be a 351 Cleveland.

I just do not want to be flying down the road sounding like my car is powered by a 2 stroke weed eater/fart machine.

I'm just going to have to wait until I actually meet someone who has a Z with exhaust and see how I like it.
No way am I going to drop $800-$1000 for a system simply to find out if I like it or not.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:14 AM
flyz33

great, more more MORE!!!!!!!!!! j/k well keep the info coming fellas
Old 02-13-2003, 10:58 AM
TonyZXT

Based on cars I have seen in the past this is my guess as to what will sound killer on the Z. AEM Intake, big y-pipe (alluminized is good enough) nix the resonator, and add a B&B cat-back exhaust. That should sound pretty good by itself. If I decide to stay NA or go supercharged I will add headers, and the most important thing for awesome sound, a big(ish) nasty set of cams. Family cams do nothing for sound! I'm guessing the B&B will sound sweet based on hearing them on a few cars in the past. More options anyway.
Tony
Old 02-13-2003, 04:01 PM
flyz33

I really can't wait until some more aftermarket stuff starts coming out; i'm hoping aftermarket support will be huge
Old 02-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Brad4rdHay

How about putting some more sound deadning material over the frontal firewall section...the sounds comming from the engine bay really interfere with the (IMO) awesome exhaust sound. Sure, it will add a few lbs of weight and would be a tad quieter overall, but it would definately sound better. Any thoughts here...how much wieght would you be talking about, like under 10lbs probably??
Old 02-14-2003, 08:24 AM
flyz33

i want the engine to sound better too; not lower the sound
Old 02-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Brad4rdHay

It will be harder to make the engine sound much better. Sure an intake will change it slightly, but i think for it tobe much more pleasing you have to balance out the sound better. I think adding a raspier intake, adding some sound deadening material to the firewall, and the car will sound ALOT better.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:55 AM
DrCold

Originally posted by DEMOman
Is it going to be possible to make these cars not sound like your neighborhood Pimpdaddy Honda?

I see many of these aftermarket exhausts advertized and they "look" to be the same thing that I hate so very much about the import scene. God-d@mned 6 inch tips on a 1.6 liter powered CRX. ...All sorts of nice and shiney Stainless Steel. Like that's not a joke. As if these guys are going to keep their car for the next 500,000 miles. "We'll it won't rust and it came with a lifetime guarantee!"

I'm tempted to take a flowmaster dual in dual out and have some L pipes welded on it and made to fit.
Just to see how it sounds.
I refused to pay $1200 for a fancy SS job on my 911 too. I got the idea from another buddy to try a Flowmaster muffler and the thing kicks ***. That 3.0L flat six may as well be a 351 Cleveland.

I just do not want to be flying down the road sounding like my car is powered by a 2 stroke weed eater/fart machine.

I'm just going to have to wait until I actually meet someone who has a Z with exhaust and see how I like it.
No way am I going to drop $800-$1000 for a system simply to find out if I like it or not.
I agree 110%!
Its hard for me, im a bigblock, v8, lopy cam type of guy. I'm going from a gurgling supercharged v8 dakota with an MBRP cat back (sound sooooooo damn good), to a little v6. My biggest fear with after market exhausts is sounding like an overgrown bumble bee. Now dont get me wrong, people have different tastes, and i respect that. I am just looking for a bit more rumble. I know i wont be able to get it to sound like my v8 did, but i do want it to sound mean. I cant wait untill someone releases some agressive cams, thats got to be the best 'sound' mod out there (with performance boosts like no other). I wish there was more sound clips out there of different exhaust setups on Z's. I'm really holding my breath untill i hear whats out there.

-DrCold
Old 02-14-2003, 04:17 PM
DEMOman

Here's a clip of my 911 at a hill climb with it's custom Flowmaster exhaust setup.

We Porsche freaks decided calling an exhaust system "FlowMaster" didn't sound european enough... so we called it the "FlauMeister"

http://bender.annenberg.edu/pelican/leland2.mpg

The before and after sound was unreal... I wish I had it at a higher RMP in the clip, because it would have sounded better... but you get the general idea.

Quick Reply: How can I make the 350z SOUND good???