Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Best model for modification

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003 | 11:05 PM
Pat D

Default Best model for modification

What's the best Z model for modification in your opinion? I am seriously thinking of getting a Z, and I know that it will end up with lots of performance parts down the road. If money is not a concern, is the Track package the nicest overall for racing, or is it just a bloated price for a small benefit?

I am still going through all the boards trying to find answers to all my questions, so forgive me if this is a topic that has been answered over and over again.
Old 02-15-2003 | 07:52 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

that depends... it is either base or enthusiast.

base needs alot of work, you give up a few things like home link, HID, traction control, and LSD.

but in the end, you can put your own HID, and you would want to swap to a better LSD eventually anyway.

track is not the best, the brakes are good, but I think aftermarket is probably better. altho downshift races a Z with stock brembos, tho I know he swapped the pads, maybe rotors too?

I think if your not concerned with leather, VDC, or TPM, then enthusiast is probably the best deal. and is also probably the best platform to modify, unless you are going for STRICTLY racing, then forget about ALL the goodies and go base, you wont need cruise control, homelink, HID, or TCS on the track; their just nice perks for regular driving.
Old 02-15-2003 | 09:58 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by ares
I think if your not concerned with leather, VDC, or TPM, then enthusiast is probably the best deal. and is also probably the best platform to modify, unless you are going for STRICTLY racing, then forget about ALL the goodies and go base, you wont need cruise control, homelink, HID, or TCS on the track; their just nice perks for regular driving.
I dunno man. Gotta disagree on the VDC thing. I've seen some scary things happen to people in the twisties with VDC off. Unless you're a pro driver, I'd get the enthusiast. It's not too much more, and you always have the option of turning it off if you want.
Old 02-15-2003 | 10:22 AM
2003z

Originally posted by zeroday
I dunno man. Gotta disagree on the VDC thing. I've seen some scary things happen to people in the twisties with VDC off. Unless you're a pro driver, I'd get the enthusiast. It's not too much more, and you always have the option of turning it off if you want.
Enthusiast is ,imho, by far the best for modding, but it doesn't have VDC. Only traction control, have to step up to perf. for VDC. VDC and Trac. is something I could easily live without. Their is a 6000 jump up to the track, and if you are going to be modding, you will probably want different wheels, plus I think 4 wheel big brake kits are about 4000, so for the same or less you could 'build a better track'.

I have no buyers remorse, but would have been just as happy with an enthusiast.
Old 02-15-2003 | 10:28 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by 2003z
Enthusiast is ,imho, by far the best for modding, but it doesn't have VDC. Only traction control, have to step up to perf. for VDC. VDC and Trac. is something I could easily live without. Their is a 6000 jump up to the track, and if you are going to be modding, you will probably want different wheels, plus I think 4 wheel big brake kits are about 4000, so for the same or less you could 'build a better track'.

I have no buyers remorse, but would have been just as happy with an enthusiast.
oops...thanks for correcting me..i should have said performance model.
Old 02-15-2003 | 11:13 AM
TonyZXT

Default Gotta comment on the vdc thing

Not flaming, but everytime I see someone post about "the dangers of not having VDC" I just have to shake my head. I've personally never driven a car with VDC, and I can honestly say that I have driven many cars with lots of HP in my life, even a 500hp vette, in the rain, around some serious curvies for about 20 miles (which has the added benefit of handling like *** in the rain with even stock hp) I just can't see how cars have gone without VDC for so many decades, and now all of the sudden there are people who think it is dangerous to drive a sports car without it. Like I said, I'm not trying to be difficult, just don't get it.
Later,
Tony
Old 02-15-2003 | 12:08 PM
IN2ITIV

Default VDC ?

Tony,

I have to agree with you - never had a car with it and while I can appreciate its value from a safety aspect it is still a relatively new technology.

I have driven many other high performance vehicles that did not have it and never felt handling was a problem.

Could not justify the $2K+ increase over the enthusiast for 1" larger diameter wheels and some electronics used for VDC.

Kind regards!
Old 02-15-2003 | 12:23 PM
zeroday

Default Re: Gotta comment on the vdc thing

Originally posted by TonyZXT
Not flaming, but everytime I see someone post about "the dangers of not having VDC" I just have to shake my head. I've personally never driven a car with VDC, and I can honestly say that I have driven many cars with lots of HP in my life, even a 500hp vette, in the rain, around some serious curvies for about 20 miles (which has the added benefit of handling like *** in the rain with even stock hp) I just can't see how cars have gone without VDC for so many decades, and now all of the sudden there are people who think it is dangerous to drive a sports car without it. Like I said, I'm not trying to be difficult, just don't get it.
Later,
Tony
My info on this subject is soley based on posts I've seen where the driver has disengaged VDC and gets into an accident due to loss of control around a turn. There is absolutely no proof that the lack of VDC caused these incidents, but there is technical proof that VDC helps control the vehicle, so I was really just saying why not be on the safe side and get it. It is VERY possible that the people involved in these accidents are new to rear wheel drive sports cars with some decent power, and were just 'hot *******'. Or it coud be that they were so used to VDC being on, that they didn't expect the difference in handling after they shut it off. Either way, I think it's a decent feature that's not a bad idea to get if you are new to the RWD sports car thing. I would love to do some VDC on/off testing in a safe strip of pavement somehwere.parking lot, etc, just to see how much this feature really helps and/or changes the car's handling characteristics.
Old 02-15-2003 | 12:37 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Best model for modification

Originally posted by Pat D
What's the best Z model for modification in your opinion? I am seriously thinking of getting a Z, and I know that it will end up with lots of performance parts down the road. If money is not a concern, is the Track package the nicest overall for racing, or is it just a bloated price for a small benefit?

I am still going through all the boards trying to find answers to all my questions, so forgive me if this is a topic that has been answered over and over again.
I still say the best is the Enthusiast. It has enough of the goodies for the street and you can modify it to your heart's content. I don't have VDC, because I have the Touring 5AT, but I have driven for many years w/o it and I'm still around. Electronics can't save you if you've truly lost control, so I try to maintain that control and not drive beyond my capabilities.
Old 02-15-2003 | 01:51 PM
2003z

Hell, I even think I could live without ABS and be happy!
Old 02-15-2003 | 02:55 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

I have VDC, and Ive never engaged it without expecting it... if I go for a launch and it engages, ok... obviously, my fault. but like never in my life have I lost control of a car. does that make VDC worthless, nah, its nice, and it can be turned off. but it certainly wouldnt be considered nescesarry on "the best model to modify"
Old 02-15-2003 | 05:31 PM
Pat D

Thanks for all the input. I have not decided yet on VCD, but over the summer I was driving an 02 vette and it's active handling saved me from spinning the car when I hit a patch of gravel that shouldn't have been there so was unexpected...that one instance would justify spending extra to me (although I think active handling works differently than vcd).

Leather/brakes/etc. I don't care if I have, the weight addition seems to be negligible so it would be fine either way. I just didn't want to decide on a model and 6 months down the road kick myself for not getting a higher end model because of some nice feature it had that I hadn't learned yet.
Old 02-16-2003 | 05:12 AM
wadd3456

<--- Yup Enthusiast. I originally ordered a performance but then I am glad that never went through. I would have had to upgrade to leather, and I didnt like the blows stereo or the wheels anyway.

I knew the wheels would be going, the stereo would be going, and leather HAD to be in this car. So, I picked up an Enthusiast with leather Happy ever since.
Old 02-16-2003 | 08:27 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Thanks everyone for your posts. It seemed so many people were buying touring and tracks and I just kept thing over and over again about it and for my needs, I could not see the price addition for what i wanted to do thus I got an enthusist. I am happy with it and modding it as I want it to be. Everyones comments reinforces my decision, thanks, Jeff
Old 02-19-2003 | 07:16 AM
MichaelP

ENTHUSIAST! Nuff said