Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Best of two Worlds!!

Old 02-25-2003, 11:39 AM
zonester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Best of two Worlds!!

someone here has already installed the Injen piping to the fatory Air box. Well I went a little further and had this plastic manufacture to design a tube with large bell shaped end to be connected to the factory intake openning. This gives that factory look with the pressure you'll need from the factory air box and REALLY create the ram air intake system. The bell shaped openning will sit where the open filter would be from Injen CAI.
I'm really hoping that this will finally generate the best of the two worlds between factory box and after market CAI. THis way I will still have that pressure I need within the box. Ofcourse you must replace the factory filter with K & N or something camparable. I should have this new piping for my Z in 1 week. If several dyno reallys prooves that this is the best way to go, then I wouold love you guys here to support me with this deign and maybe buy this new pipe work. ( No profit). You pay what i paid and shipping. I will post some pics as sson as I get my hands on it.
Wish me luck...

I'm in a ZONE Baby!!!!
zonester
Old 02-25-2003, 12:32 PM
Rizzness

Cool!! I did something very similar to this on my old Venge: A custom plastic scoop/ram air/forced induction/cold air intake modification. It worked pretty well for like 3 or more years! Remember, consider water getting into the intake and how to get it out!
Good luck, keep us posted
ZZ
Old 02-25-2003, 12:51 PM
350Now

I think Pros Engineering in Japan makes one. However they price it like 98,000 JPY whis is like $795 USD. If you can fabricate something like this how much?

Does it look something like this?
Attached Thumbnails Best of two Worlds!!-z33_in004.jpg  

Last edited by 350Now; 02-25-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:01 PM
J Ritt

When you dyno, make sure you have air blowing in the opening with a fan, etc. or else it will be useless.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:06 PM
nosuchsol

Good idea - I forget which companies has one but there is a similar idea for the integra. Comptech. It looks like a factory air box but where the old snorkel would be is piping that pulls air from by the turn signal - it performed just as well as the CAI system with the filter down low. You have less chance of hydrolocking as well - I think that's what they used as a selling point. Funny thing is a guy went and got some PVC pipe and made his own that looked and worked just as well.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Stock_Z

Originally posted by nosuchsol
Good idea - I forget which companies has one but there is a similar idea for the integra. Comptech. It looks like a factory air box but where the old snorkel would be is piping that pulls air from by the turn signal - it performed just as well as the CAI system with the filter down low. You have less chance of hydrolocking as well - I think that's what they used as a selling point. Funny thing is a guy went and got some PVC pipe and made his own that looked and worked just as well.
Isnt the Integra one from Comptech called an Ice Box? Over on Honda-tech, theres a auto-x-er that made something like that, but used an air vent tube thats gets the air from his front grill...much more safe...none the less, that one pic looks nice... is that the $700+ one?
Old 02-25-2003, 01:53 PM
menehune

Default Re: Best of two Worlds!!

Originally posted by zonester
someone here has already installed the Injen piping to the fatory Air box. Well I went a little further and had this plastic manufacture to design a tube with large bell shaped end to be connected to the factory intake openning.
So when is the expected Test and Evaluation date?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:04 PM
350Now

Originally posted by Stock_Z
... that one pic looks nice... is that the $700+ one?
The pic is for the $700 one... It is Carbon Fiber but still $700 is way too much, these parts in Japan just cost a lot now.. If zonester could make something similar and less expensive but also prove to have some HP and TQ gain then i'm in if he's willing to sell