Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HKS Twin DLI install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Minda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Twin DLI install instructions?

Guys,
maybe someone has HKS Twin DLI install instructions?
I am about to install one, which I have purchased from the fellow forum member, however he had lost the install papers.
HKS does not seem to have it on their website.
I would very much appreciate if I can somehow get a scan or photo thereof.
Thanks a lot!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey there, the install is very very very easy, they tell you to mount the DLI on the passenger side fender by the strut, all you have to do is ground the little ground clamp, then if you have the DLI sitting by the strut, you will see that the wires only reach the right cylinders, the wiring harness goes around the back of the plenum, the shortest one goes to cylinder 1 then next is 3 and so on, around the back, then they will only reach the right ones on the driver side...

good luck

you will see the red light on if it is working properly, if you try this and still have questions, i can take a pic of my car outside...
Old 09-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I still haven't seen any dyno before/afters with this mod, which is a real shame because it seems worthwhile. But I'm not going to shell out all that cash for 2hp N/A, so I'd like to see some numbers...

It should be really easy to do a before/after dyno run with this mod, right??
Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Minda

Did the install today. Frankly it is not as easy as you have described. The harness is longer and reach at least two cylinders each. I expected to rely on color of the wires, however it does not match.
When you mean back of the plenum, did you mean TB side or front of the vehicle side? I ran it in front of the vehicle along the original harness (below engine cover).
Anyway, I believe that where you plug each channell does not really matter, since inside DLS should have separate channels for each cylinder.
After the install, I noticed more instant throtle response. Other than that nothing major that I can clearly notice, although I did just brief city driving in a rush hour.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you like it. First time I ran my wires across the front as well, when the motor was swapped recently, I had the shop run the wires behind the TB/plenum and mount the DLI on the firwall-much cleaner look. Do you plan on opening your plug gap/tuning to try to maximize gains?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 AM
TheCajunStyle

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I still haven't seen any dyno before/afters with this mod, which is a real shame because it seems worthwhile. But I'm not going to shell out all that cash for 2hp N/A, so I'd like to see some numbers...

It should be really easy to do a before/after dyno run with this mod, right??

Wired, not really sure why you expect this electrical modification to yield HP gains. I think it's design more for improving sparking capabilties... Less misfires (P0300), smooth high RPM firing, reliable spark in high-heat conditions... I think this mod falls into the same category as a grounding kit--improving the electrical flow where a lot of interference is present.

IMO, the only way to tell if this modification worked for you isn't by a dyno or "seat of the pants," but by using some software to log spark / misfire at high RPMS.

My $0.02
Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Minda

I've mounted it right next to power steering tank. I used the tank fixing screw. Also, there is a grounding screw just nearby. Will post some pic, if I get my camera fixed.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
Wired, not really sure why you expect this electrical modification to yield HP gains. I think it's design more for improving sparking capabilties... Less misfires (P0300), smooth high RPM firing, reliable spark in high-heat conditions... I think this mod falls into the same category as a grounding kit--improving the electrical flow where a lot of interference is present.

IMO, the only way to tell if this modification worked for you isn't by a dyno or "seat of the pants," but by using some software to log spark / misfire at high RPMS.

My $0.02
Thanks for your response. I was under the impression (IIRC another member stated previously) that bigger spark = more complete combustion = more power.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have a link to the hks unit?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Will Pwr

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=840