Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Valve ping on 06

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:52 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed iridium plugs before I even broke in the engine (now at 4600mi), and I have used premium most of the time, with 3oz acetone per 10gal of fuel. I have never heard pinging under ANY condition, even at WOT in 6th from 45mph. I have a 35th Anniversary with Crawford headers, MREV2, APS plenum, HFCs, JIC Y-pipe, Amuse R1000, and RP fluids everywhere. I have no idea why mine doesn't ping, or why some have this problem and some don't, or if my mods have anything at all to do with it. Just providing one data point, FWIW.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:10 AM
Consar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey RebelinRI, didn't want to cause you further frustration Thanks for the info on the IRIDIUM plug, I'll make sure they put it in my baby when I get it back. Nissan tried blaming the fuel here also, I tried three different brands and did see improvements in performance and reduced pinging, but it didn't make it go away. You would think the techs in the dealerships would RTFM and put the cold plugs in rather than frig around with timing etc. Or is that asking too much?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

I haven't forgot

The colder plugs are probably a viable solution for the NA guys - although it is common to loose a little mileage and power with colder plugs.

I think this condition has become more prevelant with the new fuels. The 06's run a boat load of timing between 1,500 and 3,000rpm compared to some of the earlier model year programming.

As soon as I have a local 06' in here (or if any of you guys can lend your car for two-three days) I am going to put together a perminant ECU fix.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM
RebelinRI
Banned

Hey Mike....... if you want I can put my platinum plugs back in and drive down. I'll be your test car so you can hook me up with some free stuff............. say like a turbo?? Sorry had to try, but seriously keep us posted please.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 PM
newzee

Originally Posted by Consar
I've also noticed pinging as you described on my 35th Anniv. We get 98 and 100 RON Fuel here in Australia and it does vary in quality. The service manual states that using a Cold Type saprk plug should fix this, although I'm yet to try it, my car is still with Nissan, one month on.... Here's an extract from the service manual, has anyone tried this to resolve the pinging ?

Use standard type spark plug for normal condition.
Hot type spark plug is suitable when fouling occurs with standard type spark plug under conditions such as:
 Frequent engine starts
 Low ambient temperatures
Cold type spark plug is suitable when spark plug knock occurs with standard type spark plug under conditions
such as:
 Extended highway driving
 Frequent high engine revolution

Make NGK
Standard type PLFR5A-11
Hot type PLFR4A-11
Cold type PLFR6A-11
Does anybody know if there is any difference between a platinum heat level 6 and an iridium heat level 6 other than price and longevity. I live in Atlanta and nobody seems to carry the colder iridium plug thay you suggest. The dealership does however have the platinum heat level 6. Its got me really aggravated since Im taking the day off tomorrow so I can do the swap and nobody can give me an answer.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM
ByThaBay

you guys should check this out...

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75477
Old 10-31-2006, 12:34 PM
rfinkle2

Today, i had my car in the shop for the 3rd time for the pinging under load (@ 2000-3000 rpm's).

I previously had the timing retarded by 2 degrees, although the pinging still existed, and I wanted to try the colder plugs.

Needless to say, I took the day off from work to have the plugs put in, and the dealer told me 1) that he didn't have the plugs in stock, although i had set up the appointment a week and a half ago..

2) that the car couldn't be serviced today because the plenum gasket would need to be replaced after removing the plenum to install the plugs.

The dealer refused to poerform any of the work under warranty, although he (service manager) acknowledged a great deal of pinging, blamed me for not having prepaid for the plugs and tried all of the gasoline excuses, as well as the car running under "normal" specs.

oh... and i had asked them to return the timing back to normal AFTER installing the plugs, but the tech didn't notice that the plugs weren't at the dealersip until after advancing the timing back to stock, SO NOW, I'VE BEEN BLAMED FOR THE INCOMPETENCE OF THE SERVICE DEPT. , MISSED 3 days work, AND HAVE HAD THE TIMING PUT BACK W"OUT THE COLDER PLUGS.

What can we do guys....?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
ByThaBay

Originally Posted by rfinkle2
Today, i had my car in the shop for the 3rd time for the pinging under load (@ 2000-3000 rpm's).

I previously had the timing retarded by 2 degrees, although the pinging still existed, and I wanted to try the colder plugs.

Needless to say, I took the day off from work to have the plugs put in, and the dealer told me 1) that he didn't have the plugs in stock, although i had set up the appointment a week and a half ago..

2) that the car couldn't be serviced today because the plenum gasket would need to be replaced after removing the plenum to install the plugs.

The dealer refused to poerform any of the work under warranty, although he (service manager) acknowledged a great deal of pinging, blamed me for not having prepaid for the plugs and tried all of the gasoline excuses, as well as the car running under "normal" specs.

oh... and i had asked them to return the timing back to normal AFTER installing the plugs, but the tech didn't notice that the plugs weren't at the dealersip until after advancing the timing back to stock, SO NOW, I'VE BEEN BLAMED FOR THE INCOMPETENCE OF THE SERVICE DEPT. , MISSED 3 days work, AND HAVE HAD THE TIMING PUT BACK W"OUT THE COLDER PLUGS.

What can we do guys....?
lawsuit
Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Sasha350

Originally Posted by rfinkle2

WTF, i just replaced the spark plugs on my 06 MT last week and you definitely do not have to remove the plenum. That's a crappy dealer you have there, i wonder if calling Nissan and filing a complaint would do anything.

But anyway, i did put the NGK one step colder iridium plugs in my car and i have to say that i like them a lot. I would say the pinging decreased about 80 %, i.e., it is still there but a lot less. Also the engine seems to run smoother and i noticed better throttle response.
It still suks that i even had to do this but it's better then makin noises like my grandpa's pickup anytime i accelerate. Overall i recomend this, at least untill better solution can be found.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 AM
usafmech

+1 on valvetrain chatter/pinging. 06 6mt, 5k miles.

Thanks for the heads up on NGK's Iridium plug #LFR6AIX-11.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Sasha350

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
I haven't forgot

The colder plugs are probably a viable solution for the NA guys - although it is common to loose a little mileage and power with colder plugs.

I think this condition has become more prevelant with the new fuels. The 06's run a boat load of timing between 1,500 and 3,000rpm compared to some of the earlier model year programming.

As soon as I have a local 06' in here (or if any of you guys can lend your car for two-three days) I am going to put together a perminant ECU fix.

Hi Mike. Any update on this ping issue ??
Old 11-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Q45tech

If it pings/knocks/preignites the premium fuel you are buying is not of the quality required...............even if it states 93 or 100 on the pump sticker.......SIMPLE AS THAT.

INDOLENE CLEAR is the special chemical fuel used to certify EPA emission and MPG in the lab at 68-80F. Secure some and see if the problems go away [after you clean the deposits up from low quality pump fuel].

Try a can of BG44K in fuel if the problems go away in 100 miles and return after a few tanks of non BG44k you can see where the problem arise.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:07 PM
aren21

My 06 does this too, when I took it it for oil consumption I took the tech. for a ride so he could hear it, but it wouldnt ping!! I did everything that usually causes it to ping, but no luck. Im almost done with the consumption test, about 400 miles left and I will wait to see if they replace the engine. Man its good to know someone found the info on the 1 step colder plugs. So will these cause a drop in power/milage?? NGK's Iridium plug #LFR6AIX-11, right??
Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 PM
cavallino33

I have this problem I had no idea it was pinging, because I've never had a car that pinged.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
ByThaBay

I think the colder plugs help, but they don't fix the problem in some cases... worth a shot I suppose (didn't work for me).