Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My Z track will not let me turn on VDC

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 PM
wizurd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z track will not let me turn on VDC

I thought normally it would be automaticall on and you could shut it off yourself but my car has been off for a few days and I cannot turn it back on. What gives?

Also, anyone with a track Z, does the little switch on the center console turn off ABS? I hit the switch one way and I see ABS light up and then it goes away and I switch it the other way and nothing shows up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The VDC button is located in the lower side of the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. If your SLIP light is constantly on, you have an issue.

As for the little switch on the center console, I honestly have no iddea what your talking about. There are no buttons to disable ABS. Did you buy it used? Maybe someone made a cutoff switch :shrug:. Pics might help.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
wizurd

Originally Posted by Armitage
The VDC button is located in the lower side of the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. If your SLIP light is constantly on, you have an issue.

As for the little switch on the center console, I honestly have no iddea what your talking about. There are no buttons to disable ABS. Did you buy it used? Maybe someone made a cutoff switch :shrug:. Pics might help.
I know where the button is, lol. Yes, it says SLIP all the time as well as VDC/Off. Should I reset the ECU?

I'll get pics, brb.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:32 PM
ANXIOUZ

Center console as in near the parking brake? The only switches there are for heated seats and what-not....which the Track shouldn't have.

And to clarify, when VDC is on the light is off. The light turns on when it is disabled. It will default back to ON everytime you start the car.

For starters I would just unplug your battery overnight to reset the ECU. See if that makes any difference.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:50 PM
wizurd

Alright I didn't get pics but.....

I reset the ECU and turned the car on. Same thing.

So I decided to put the switch on the center console in the opposite position and turn the car off and back on. Much to my surprise it worked! The VDC is on when I start the car and I can turn it on/off freely. I guess this switch isn't stock but maybe the person who had it before me despised VDC and always wanted it off so he made an override switch. I could be wrong and I'm going to look into this switch further.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:55 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wizurd

So I decided to put the switch on the center console in the opposite position and turn the car off and back on. Much to my surprise it worked! The VDC is on when I start the car and I can turn it on/off freely. I guess this switch isn't stock but maybe the person who had it before me despised VDC and always wanted it off so he made an override switch. I could be wrong and I'm going to look into this switch further.

Since its mounted on the center console, sounds like they created a switch that interrupts the signal from the yaw sensor. When the yaw sensor is unplugged or disabled, VDC is deactivated. A lot of people unplug that sensory to permanently disable VDC. But a switch like that is great because its a full system disable which can be turned on and off.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:55 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Apparently someone installed a VDC bypass switch. I hope that they did it properly.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What center console switch are u talking about? The only center console switches are the heated seat ones available on the touring, 35th, and GT models. The VDC/ TCS switch is on the left side of the steering wheel. And there is no way u can disable the ABS by switching the VDC off.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM
OCZTrack

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
What center console switch are u talking about? The only center console switches are the heated seat ones available on the touring, 35th, and GT models. The VDC/ TCS switch is on the left side of the steering wheel. And there is no way u can disable the ABS by switching the VDC off.
Re-Read his post, it appears to be something someone rigged up to override the vdc switch and keep it in the off position.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:05 AM
TENGAI

Check your brake fluid level... When your fluid is low, the VDC and SLIP lights will remain on. Top off to a hair past the full line (when cold) and the lights should go off.

I'm assuming this is the problem since it just started happening...
Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 AM
TheCajunStyle

Like davidv already said, someone installed a switch to override the yaw sensor (which is located in that center console).

There's a good chance that this car was tracked at some point (road course, for example) and the driver wanted the VDC COMPLETELY disabled.

The only way to completely disable those electronics is not by pressing the VDC button on the dash, but by disconnecting the yaw sensor altogether--exactly what that switch accomplishes.

I think most people here will recommend that you always leave VDC on, so be careful out there if you ever decide to drive with it disabled.