Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Easy fix for understeer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 12:31 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Easy fix for understeer

While waiting for my Z I have been reading everything I can. I have heard about the "resolute understeer" and then I saw that the front tires are 2 cm narrower than the rears (I ordered the performance model).

So, I was wondering, if you put the same width tires on the front that are on the rear (+20 in the section width) wouldn't you increase the front grip just a little and balance the steering out a little more. It might not be a complete fix, but it would be a lot cheaper than a while new suspension kit or something. Besides the stock tires are gonna get replaced pretty quick anyhow.

Anyone tried this? Any reason (like clearance) not to do this?
Old 03-08-2003, 07:15 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, wider front tires reduces understeer, what wheels do you have (17.18. track?)
Old 03-08-2003, 08:26 PM
FlyingToaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same width tires with rears will not necessary give you same amount of patch on the ground, since the rear rim width is 0.5" larger (I am assuming the performance model uses 8" fr and 8.5" rr rims).

Managing understeer, IMHO, should be done with a combination of wheels/tires, suspension and sway bars. The important point to manage is the weight transfer, which too much of it to the sides and fronts creates understeer. Since the 350Z's 57% weight is on the front axles, during cornering significantly more weight will be transfered compared to the rear of the car. If my assumptions are correct, then changing tires size only will not give you much of a different ride.

Also, I would highly recommend you first drive the car and then try to adjust according your driving skills and enjoyment. Understeer is a good thing for regular driving. Unless you are a very experienced driver, I would not recommend trying to put more oversteer.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:02 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

AndyB

Your Performance model comes with 18x8's on all corners so the contact patch would be the same for all. Yes, it will help reduce understeer.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:38 PM
D_Nyholm

If you are having slight problems with understeer and are racing a bit, try adding air to the rear tires. That will tighten up the rear suspension and make it grab a little less giving you more rotation in the turns. Should help a few people here.....
Old 03-09-2003, 07:35 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the record, in the perfect world, physics dictates that same if your working with a fixed amount of friction on the tread, by increasing surface area, your decreasing pressure. negating all effects.

now if your new tread was grippier, youd have a case... but just by getting wider tires, you wouldnt really increase traction by that much.