Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Had my first test drive and... WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003 | 12:35 PM
FlyingToaster

Thumbs up Had my first test drive and... WOW!

I went to our local dealer and test drove a Touring model. Just to set the context: I currently drive a 330Ci with sport suspension, 8x18 with 225/40 Michelin Pilot Sports fr and 8.5x18 255/35 rr combination. Which I find it to be a great setup for daily driving, almost a perfect compromise between comfort and handling.

First thing I noticed in the Z was the shifter, very smooth and fits in to each gate preciesly. The clutch is probably one of the best I have driven, picks up early without any fuss. The steering wheel is a little thin (I have an M3 wheel, which is quite thick) but felt nice afterwards.

As we were driving in traffic towards the interstate, my second thought was that the suspension felt harsher, which I liked, and I was thinking it will be interesting to see how this car understeers with such suspension.

Working the shifter was truly a delight, just pops in. I have driven many Porsche's, and I can tell you, Z's felt much better to me. Pushing the throttle made the car gain momentum, not greedily, but decisively. Smooth accelaration that can be easily be controlled in the twisties.

Once we got to my regular on-ramp, I pushed the car as much as I felt comfortable, and to my big suprise the car had very little understeer (totally ineefective in normal driving), and I took the ramp at ~65mph, which is roughly 15 mph more than my 330Ci could manage. Add to this that this was my first time in the Z and I have been driving my 330Ci for over a year; so, comfort with the car plays a big role

The ride was very smooth on the intersate and the car was very stable around 120 mph. In comparison, my 330Ci is not that comfortable at that speed, but very close. The only critism I can have for the car was above 100 mph, getting to higher speeds took more time and was harder than I expected, the lack top-end power rumors must be spot on.

The car is also very comfortable to drive, but I only have one concern: I am relatively short with 5'8", but I found the head-room to possibly be a problem; especially with helmet on. This is a big problem in the Bimmer and I regullarly get neck aches in it after 30 mins on the track. The Z seems to have more head room, but I have to try it with the helmet.

Can any one give their impression of head room with helmet on please (also include your height if you do not mind)?

Overall, I am definitely sold on the Z. I gotta get one for track duty soon. You guys made a good choice

Last edited by FlyingToaster; 03-10-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2003 | 12:39 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

You normally drive with a helmet on?
Old 03-10-2003 | 12:40 PM
Zaphod 350z

Plenty of head room with a helmet on. I'm 6'2".
Old 03-10-2003 | 01:16 PM
del105
15 f125
Premier Member

The ride was very smooth on the intersate and the car was very stable around 120 mph. In comparison, my 330Ci is not that comfortable at that speed, but very close. The only critism I can have for the car was above 100 mph, getting to higher speeds took more time and was harder than I expected, the lack top-end power rumors must be spot on.

HUH? I always liked the top end power Are you saying 330 has more? Maybe I just have never driven a car with "good" top end power.
Old 03-10-2003 | 01:23 PM
FlyingToaster

Originally posted by The Rat's Z
You normally drive with a helmet on?
This will not replace my 330Ci, it will be an addition for track-only, so fitting in with a helmet is important.

The Bimmer's always reserve their power on the higher range of rpm, the 3er has most of its power hidden between 4200 and 6500. Thus, once you downshift and bring up the rpm, the car lurches forward.

Zaphod, thanks for the info, if you fit, I should definetly fit

Last edited by FlyingToaster; 03-10-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2003 | 01:32 PM
Traffic

It seems that way, but it's not so. The power curve is very linear, so unlike with say, an M3 or an RX7, there's no point where you feel like you're going faster. Plus, some say the engine's programming dynamics change after break-in.

I'll tell you though, you'd be even more impressed with the Z if it had some real-deal rubber like your Pilot Sports or SO2s, and a stiffer suspension set-up. It's sprung kind of soft, so it's really comfortable, but compared to an S2000 or a Boxster S, it's a little cushy.
Old 03-10-2003 | 02:14 PM
Zmoney

Nice review of the car! I am glad you like it. I think the car is truley amazing. I used to own a C5vette and I think the Z blows it away as an "all around" car. Not to mention the looks, everyone gawks over this car.
Old 03-10-2003 | 07:38 PM
FlyingToaster

There is no question that the Z is a very good car. I am not sure what the problem all mention with the stock rubber, I am not familiar with them. Obviously, the Pilot Sports are great tires on dry and wet; as well as S-03s. But I think, if I were to change them, I would go with Hoosiers or Kumhos; they are really economical with $100-120 less per tire and provide great performance.

My son's dream is a C5 Corvette, I won't quote you to him Zmoney

Happy motoring all.