Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

breaking in the new tranny - take a look please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
jrforrester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in the new tranny - take a look please.

hey guys,

I am getting my new tranny put in today under warranty (03 w/ 16k miles -third gear grind), and I wanted to check with you guys on breaking it in. I know when you buy a new car the whole 1000 mile break in deal with throttle control and not sustaining speeds for long time and bla bla, but I just wanted to see what the time period is for the tranny? Same? Same poceedure? Anything inparticluar I should make sure to def do/ not do? Just wanna make sure I do this right so this one lasts awhile. Thanks in advance for confirming with me on this stuff...

* also i read in a post something about getting a new clutch disk as part of the warranty deal.. is that true? should I have said something about it when I dropped it off, or will they do it automatically? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the dealer if they change out your disc. break in the trans the same way you did the first time you got your car. if you get a new disc break the disc in gingerly over 200 miles, wait till 500 miles before you start to beat the clutch
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
jrforrester

ok cool, thanks! hopefully i'll get a new disc outta the deal as well.. guess we'll have to wait and see!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no break in for a manual transmission. There is for a new clutch, but if they leave your stock clutch in, there is no break in needed.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:28 PM
jrforrester

just talked to them on the phone.. im getting the tranny plus a new clutch disc and pressure plate... so I guess I will be breaking it in. yippy for a new tranny!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
depends on the dealer if they change out your disc. break in the trans the same way you did the first time you got your car. if you get a new disc break the disc in gingerly over 200 miles, wait till 500 miles before you start to beat the clutch
+1. Same break-in recommended for a new 350Z.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrforrester
just talked to them on the phone.. im getting the tranny plus a new clutch disc and pressure plate... so I guess I will be breaking it in. yippy for a new tranny!
Well --u should ---Thats just good business ---Its a unit --- But ---Ya -- Not too much breakin for the tranny --just take it easy for 500 or so
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
jrforrester

sounds good.. timing kinda sucks, i was gonna go to a cruise that weekend, but that will ahve to wait, cause i know i wont go easy on it during the cruise.. oh well, at least i got it no hassle!

+1 for Fred Beans of D-town in PA, if any of you guys are from the area, they are real cool about all the warranty stuff.. i even got a rental car for free!

Thanks again to everyone for the advise!