Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

When is someone going to start rebuilding trannies

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
jakesford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is someone going to start rebuilding trannies

Who is giong to be the one to find a supplier for syncros ect. and start rebuilding these 6spds.

The 03's 350z's aren't getting any younger.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you figure in labor & parts... its pretty much cheaper to just buy a new one...

especially if you use different gearing...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
plumpzz

How come american car parts/labor is so much cheaper. lol. I went to an american car shop in southern jersey and they were charging 65/hour for difficult labor, 90/hour for tuning and 35/hour for diagnostics!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As soon as they break down.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by plumpzz
How come american car parts/labor is so much cheaper. lol. I went to an american car shop in southern jersey and they were charging 65/hour for difficult labor, 90/hour for tuning and 35/hour for diagnostics!
haha I'm not going there...

It just that I'm used to american stuff too. Like with mustangs, if the T5 tranny took a **** on you, you would just have it rebuilt for a few hundred bucks. Hell while it was being done you could upgrade it to world class T5 specs and go to town.

I guess all that tremec/borg warner stuff is easier

My 03' is at 65k miles so its completely out of factory warranty, I have an extended warranty though... Just given the lack of reliability with these trannies and people modding their rides, your looking at business...

Last edited by jakesford; 10-31-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT Motorsports does.

PM Sam@GTM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Alof of the stuff is made in China...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Alof of the stuff is made in China...
hey! Those kids work hard for their lunch money!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
hey! Those kids work hard for their lunch money!
lol
Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

there is alot of better stuff coming out of china these days... some better quality and some better quality control... but production costs are much lower there...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 PM
plumpzz

American car stuff, made in china? I actually see far more made in taiwan stuff for jap stuff, no offense.
My neighbor (who does a bunch of installs for me since hes a mechanic) totally laughed his *** off when he heard I paid 1200 for an exhaust. He said that that is not even high quality stuff and could be made in a shop for 900 bucks. American car guys are big on custom stuff made by old timers, and I believe it! I mean in my area, maybe within a 10 mile radius, theres 10-15 muscle car shops that can build anything quickly and it'd work too. I just don't understand why japanese/european stuff is twice as expensive. I mean i understand engine builds and turbos being expensive. But **** like metal shouldn't be, or rebuilding a transmission... Labor isn't all the same ya know.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Q45tech

35/hour for diagnostics!

THAT"S SCAREY as technical diagnosis is 3 -5 times more difficult than swaping parts.

Diagnosis is where 95% of techs fall apart. Lack of technical education on the imports.

Study the fit and finish [assembly tolerances of US vs Japanese or German] engines you will easily see that few shops have the caliber [tools and test equipment] to rebuild to factory tolerances vs the old GM FURD thrown together............but this is changing as US tries to compete.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

American car stuff, made in china? I actually see far more made in taiwan stuff for jap stuff, no offense.
My neighbor (who does a bunch of installs for me since hes a mechanic) totally laughed his *** off when he heard I paid 1200 for an exhaust. He said that that is not even high quality stuff and could be made in a shop for 900 bucks. American car guys are big on custom stuff made by old timers, and I believe it! I mean in my area, maybe within a 10 mile radius, theres 10-15 muscle car shops that can build anything quickly and it'd work too. I just don't understand why japanese/european stuff is twice as expensive. I mean i understand engine builds and turbos being expensive. But **** like metal shouldn't be, or rebuilding a transmission... Labor isn't all the same ya know.
I will be flamed but its not the first time. There is an Asian modded car craze going on all over the world and a hell of lot of guys, that no matter what, want Hi performance parts NOW. Fock the cost. And the money is there to pay for it.
Your American Muscle Car guys are old school or raised by old school and into self fabrication. That goes back to the days money was tighter and u had too. Also , for every 1000 Hi-Perf Chevy there is 1 HP Z.
The fact that there are starting to be more DIYers will start to bring prices down over time.
Cool thing about DIY and fabbing is u will start to see more personalized stuff, rather than just bolt ons in different sequences. The manufacturers will reach a point as with the old school days, that they will be competing with the owners of the cars.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
rocks

One thing i dont like about the Z community is the lack of do it yourself, and flaming you get for doing things yourself ( or asking on how to do it yourself). Its basically just throw money at someone and say work on my car. If you never work on it yourself you will never really enjoy it. I am having my engine built do to time because of work and college. When i do turbo it, belive me im doing it myself. I am also buying a welder soon to teach myself how to weld, that way i can build my own exhaust.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Eazzy

Thats what its all about---Paying someone to bolt on bolt ons sucks
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by rocks
One thing i dont like about the Z community is the lack of do it yourself, and flaming you get for doing things yourself ( or asking on how to do it yourself). Its basically just throw money at someone and say work on my car. If you never work on it yourself you will never really enjoy it. I am having my engine built do to time because of work and college. When i do turbo it, belive me im doing it myself. I am also buying a welder soon to teach myself how to weld, that way i can build my own exhaust.
Im sure u relize ---If u get a welder get a Wire Feed
Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 AM
rocks

It will be a wirefeed. gasless.

I have a friend that paid a mechanic shop to bolt on his "cold air intake", i still give him hell about that. I had to show the guy how to change brake pads heh.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by rocks
It will be a wirefeed. gasless.

I have a friend that paid a mechanic shop to bolt on his "cold air intake", i still give him hell about that. I had to show the guy how to change brake pads heh.
Get the gas ---Dont Have to use it, but it comes in handy if u need it
Old 11-01-2006, 10:20 AM
jakesford

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
Get the gas ---Dont Have to use it, but it comes in handy if u need it
ditto, makes it soo much cleaner... Plus if your welding on the car upside down you will like having gas too
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by jakesford
ditto, makes it soo much cleaner... Plus if your welding on the car upside down you will like having gas too
And u can start playin with more exotic metals---Stainless, aluminum