Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I'm going to get my arse kicked for this one....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Oleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to get my **** kicked for this one....

This is basically my last ditch effort to stay with a Z car.

With MRC's and 350ZDeCalb's cars in "marketplace" (omiting bigbri b/c I won't handle 800whp), this the best time ever to get a crazy deal on a TT Z without fearing for the stock motor letting go.
Now here is my obstacle:
I HATE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I am a wimp, a wuss, a girl, a pansy, I don't know how to drive real cars, blah, blah, blah. Please don't use this to raise your post count or your internet self-esteem by making fun of me. I have learned much more difficult things in my lifetime and would be able to master this, had I the desire to.
I was planning to go with an LS2 GTO for a new car. I am willing to commit a budget of 40-45K on the whole thing (500whp goal in mind with good braking/handling characteristics). My current Z will be gone either way within the next couple of month.

Both of the cars in question already make enough power and are certainly well equipped for great handling. So the tranny is the only issue that has to be addressed.

Now onto my querry. Is it even feasable to convert a 6MT 350z to a GM's 4L65E tranny (like the one found in the GTO)? I know that both cars' final drive ratios are very close, so the 4L65E's gearing should not be messed up. The tranny is very strong as is, and is rather cheaply upgradable.

If this conversion is possible, what would be an approximation of the $$ for the whole deal? Can the tranny be mated to the rest of the car to feel like an OEM setup?

Just a crazy idea. If this is not doable, or if it is too expensive, or if it cannot be done reliably, I'll have to stick to the GTO plan. I would prefer to have a 350Z as my fun car, but if my demands for the combination of power, drivetrainm, reliability and price are too much for a Z, then I guess I'll have to sadly switch to a GTO...

BTW, all irrelevant flaming will be ignored, so don't bother.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 PM
kourosH

Well, i'll come right out and say it, learn to drive manual, its well worth it. (and a lot more fun, i cant see my self goign back to A/T ever again)

p.s. Z was my first manual car (2nd car total, learned on it too)
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by kourosH
Well, i'll come right out and say it, learn to drive manual, its well worth it. (and a lot more fun, i cant see my self goign back to A/T ever again)

p.s. Z was my first manual car (2nd car total, learned on it too)
I took lessons. I know I am weird, but I found it to be too much of a PIA. I was actually strongly considering buying 350ZDeCalb's car, but only until I realized that MT is not for me. I also live in a very urban area...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:11 PM
atar350

I dont know about the conversion, I do know I forget that I have a manual car after driving it for so long...Once you get used to it, and its easy, you forget your driving one, it comes natural, remember you dont have to go into every gear either, save time, go first, third, fifth or even sixth depening on how fast your going.

I dont think converting it to an automatic would be worth it.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by atar350
I dont know about the conversion, I do know I forget that I have a manual car after driving it for so long...Once you get used to it, and its easy, you forget your driving one, it comes natural, remember you dont have to go into every gear either, save time, go first, third, fifth or even sixth depening on how fast your going.

I dont think converting it to an automatic would be worth it.

It's also the city traffic issue. And I am just lazy. I appreciate the encouragement, but trust me, I tried everything to get myself to drive manual. I just don't like it. My dream car is a CL65 AMG, got a ton of power, but only 2 pedals...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Ichigo

I don't forget I have a manual during my 1.5 hour commute in the morning... With all the traffic I deal with, I should have bought an auto. I have less and less opportunity to enjoy 6mt as the area I live in becomes more and more congested. I say go for it Oleg. Or save that cash for an auto GT-R
Old 10-31-2006, 06:30 PM
atar350

Originally Posted by Oleg
It's also the city traffic issue. And I am just lazy. I appreciate the encouragement, but trust me, I tried everything to get myself to drive manual. I just don't like it. My dream car is a CL65 AMG, got a ton of power, but only 2 pedals...
I feel you on that, SL65 for me though....couple years. GL on the conversion.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:31 PM
THE TECH

You should possibly consider talking to companies that specialize in building the auto trans. Many supras have converted to the TH400 GM tranny. Now this is not necessarily the best tranny for the street, but it can take the abuse and high power levels.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:32 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd probably have to take measurements on the tranny to see if it's possible to convert without MAJORLY modifying the car. All in all, your best bet is probably to buy an AT Z and upgrade the tranny. I strongly believe that would be cheaper than trying to stuff a GM tranny into the car.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
rocks

Ok, there is an adaptor somewhere to use a TH400 transmission, the problem this is a 3speed while great for tons of power it sucks on the highway. But you have other options the TH700r4 is a 4 speed auto wich has a kick *** overdrive, is has the same bolt pattern as the TH400. You can buy these built up also. I am almost sure a 4l60 or 4l60e would work behind it. The 4l60e is electronic so you would have to get a controller. The 700r4 is not so it works off of vacum for shift points. Custom driveshafts are cheap too, about 150$ at the most.

If you get a 700r4 check out http://www.artcarr.com/ they build some of the best transmissions. You do not need a 5 speed auto.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Oleg

Everyone, thank you for input.

Originally Posted by kcobean
You'd probably have to take measurements on the tranny to see if it's possible to convert without MAJORLY modifying the car. All in all, your best bet is probably to buy an AT Z and upgrade the tranny. I strongly believe that would be cheaper than trying to stuff a GM tranny into the car.
I think you are right, I have totally neglectd issues such as bell housing diameter, tranny tunnel space, driveshaft will probably have to be fabbed up, plus the 4l65E is controlled by the car's ecu, so mating it to Z's electronics will be a nightmare...
I just saw all those fully built Z's for sale and had this wild thought, but now I see that this cannot be done, definately not for 4-5G... I guess I'll just stick to the GTO plan.
Could you please lock this thread?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:48 PM
kcobean

As you wish.