Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine problems...possible solutions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Seifyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems...possible solutions/advice

To start I have a base 04 with CIA and exhaust. I havent changed anything to the car myself as I bought it used with 25k miles on it.

After having put maybe 1500 miles on the car after I got it I noticed an odd clicking noise. Took it into a local Nissan dealer and said it sounded like lifter tick. A tech took it and the car only had about 3qt of oil in it. They fill it up and I have been back every 1k miles to see if it is actually using oil or if the dealer I got it from didnt really change the oil when they said they did.

Fast foward to 31k miles and the car is using about 1qt every 600 miles, not cool. So far my service rep has done his best at trying to get a new motor. With being unable to get back logs and proof the previous owner(s) changed the oil every 3k-5k miles Im kinda hosed. A used motor with 3k miles on it (unsure the year of the motor) will run 4-5k and a new 07 motor will run 9k.

I already read a somewhat similar thread here:
PHP Code:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224882 
I'm pretty much in the same boat thus far. I havent gotten a flat out 'no' from Nissan yet, but I can see it coming if they have given me estimates for the motors.

I'll be the first to say I don't know much about the motor in my car, but what would cause it to use that much oil in such a short time? And if I decide to go FI, since in the post I linked it was mentioned would be a good time to do so if one wanted, could I just use the same motor now or would I need a new block etc? Since I dont really understand that much about going FI on a motor and have just started reading up on it Im not sure what/how to ask everything. So please bear with me and any advice or suggestions are more then welcomed!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a used motor for like 2000-2500$ with low miles. I found a revup with 1200 miles for 2100$. It will be way more if the dealer has to find you a new one. PM me if you need to and ill show you where to find them.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
stein

I don't think you need another motor, Who knows what it's been through and anything could go wrong with it! I'd look into repairing what you have, search for possible problem areas for oil consumption (seals, smoking, etc...). If you can document maint since you've had it I don't see why the dealership you bought it from would deny fixing it, not that it is their call. I'd push that route and then if it fails you may have more information by then to have someone else repair it. Dealerships can be asses so be firm! FYI: your engine has a 5yr/60k mi warranty.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Seifyr

I would like this motor to last me as long as possible since I am wanting to go FI in the future. But my plan was to build a new motor from the ground up as a project with my dad. Then with the motor that is in the car now (before I started having issues with it) would of ended up in another project car my dad and I started 3 years ago and are almost finished with.

Where exactly should I look as far as oil consumption? The car doesnt smoke at all, and there is very little smoke residue on the exhaust tips. I have thought of having Nissan do a compression test. The main issue with them not fixing anything is that the dealer the car was bought new from and the dealer I bought it from have no record of the car other then them getting on on the lot then selling it.

Still looking and hoping for an easier fix then a new motor sooner then I budgeted for, but want to get some feedback from other Z owners and advice from others with more knowledge then I.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
stein

I don't think they can expect you to show maint for the time you didn't own it, thats absurd! I'd force the issue, you have nothing to lose.

I say keep searching here and elsewhere for possible oil consuption issues, I don't know what the others have been doing to fix it other then replacing the rear main (I think) or replacing the engine.

@ 1qt every 600mi the oil has to be burning or leaking somewhere pretty fast! Since you have no smoke I'd take a look at the plastics under the engine for leakage.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Seifyr

I have tomorrow off and if it isnt raining still Im gonna try to go through and check as much as I can for places it may be leaking. Any other ideas, thoughts or advice are welcome. I really appreciate the feedback!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
bofa

Hey on the bright side.. not as bad off as me.. lol
Old 11-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Seifyr

Ok here is an update on anyone that was semi following this. My service rep told me that the main hold up now is the lack of service records on the car from me. The car hasnt been driven enough and I havent had it long enough to change the oil in it.

Now they want records from BEFORE I owned the car, which I have been unable to get. Car doesnt appear to be serviced at any Nissan dealership that I can find. Not the one I bought it from and not the one it was bought new from back in 04. Any advice on how I should approach this? Any service reps or dealership guys want to add some input? Anything you can give me is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a diffrent dealer.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 AM
Q45tech

All Nissan requires is written proof of oil changes every 6 months or 7,500 miles.
A used car with 25k on it without any dealer computer records is scarey.

All it takes is one running low of oil to trash the engine.
Unfortunately the world is full of people who never maintain their cars and people who buy the horrific results.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:22 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get a carfax on the car? Could be that it was in an accident and may have caused some damage that is not readily apparent. I'm not trying to scare you but that may be one lead that can help determine what is up with the car.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
sumfknguy

well... a long shot here, but ask the dealer where you bought the car from to contact the prior owner and see if it's ok for you to contact them. And even then, hope they have records of the oil being changed.

He/She may have brought it to a local oil change shop that "should" have records of the oil being changed and when according to the mileage.

I just bought a 03 and was fortunate to find documentation still in the vehicle with the previous owners name and number.. I called and got the whole history of the vehicle. He also mentioned to me about how in the past he was able to ask the dealer to contact prior owners and get permission to pass along contact info if needed..

Hope this helps...