Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 AM
joe_blow_xbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@zeeforce or anybody who wants to read it,

After breakin was complete on my V1 (2nd motor), I drive 900 miles and the dipstick was 14 mm low. The dealership ordered the V2 motor and installed it per the TSB. I got the car back today and will let you know how it goes. Motor 2 was replaced with 2100 miles on it (1200 breakin + 900 after breakin). I asked the dealorship to use a V2 motor for the second motor, but they said that they were only authorized to replace it with a V1. If they would have put me on a waiting list for the V2 back in October, they could have saved themselves 8000 dollars.

This is motor number 3 for me. Hopefully this will do the trick. (I'll believe it when I see it.)

Last edited by joe_blow_xbox; 12-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
luvZcar

Originally Posted by joe_blow_xbox

After breakin was complete on my V1 (2nd motor), I drive 900 miles and the dipstick was 14 mm low. The dealership ordered the V2 motor and installed it per the TSB. I got the car back today and will let you know how it goes. Motor 2 was replaced with 2100 miles on it (1200 breakin + 900 after breakin). I asked the dealorship to use a V2 motor for the second motor, but they said that they were only authorized to replace it with a V1. If they would have put me on a waiting list for the V2 back in October, they could have saved themselves 8000 dollars.

This is motor number 3 for me. Hopefully this will do the trick. (I'll believe it when I see it.)
we're in the same boat I just got mine on friday 3rd motor, first 2 are v1's this is a v2 good luck
Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by gothchick
Hi Curtis,

Certainly glad I could help! Corrections made, email sent~ :-)

Erin
Thanks Erin,

Received email, it’s perfect. I will add it to the first page of this topic with the TSB.

Hopefully in the next day or two.

Cheers
Curtis

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

I hosted TSB pictures through photobucket on another forum so they're full size on post. Also now have TSB as a .pdf file. If you want, I'll send you .pdf if you want that for first post or page on here. Let me know
Great, the more forums the TSB is posted on, will arm owners with some amo for the dealer.
Please do send me the psd file of the TSB.

Thanks
Curtis

Originally Posted by luvZcar
cars home with the new engine 12/7/07happy at this time now to see if its a fix hoping it is, by the way talked with the rep from nna and they are trying not to give me the extended warranty ,about to put in a complaint with the BBB, this guy was a real jerk to me and it ticked me off ,they offered one month payment of my car because he said I was only without a car for that long,and as I expland to him I've been dealing with it longer then a year now and am on motor number three just was not happy with that so on goes the saga, fighting for the warranty
Finally, it sure took them long enough to get you the correct engine. What a joke “one month payment” Go for the extended warranty it’s worth more than the money for your trouble, it’s peace of mind. If they and they will close your case if they have not already. Open it back up again and most likely it will be assigned to a new regional, then try again for the warranty. It worked for me. Btw what is the jerks name? So we all will know if anyone here gets him.

PLease provide some stats to me, I am about to update the V2 Install Stats List to post on the first page of this topic.

I need to revise the Stats List to make it mirror the TSB OC table chart.

Template:
So Far So Good – Still Pending
Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

OC: (use the new mm measurement from TSB)
Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Mileage on Engine: (new installed engine, not total mileage on vehicle)
Mileage on current oil change interval of 3750 – 4000:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:

Originally Posted by camaross
Greetings,
First post, been lurking for quite a while.
I have been in oil consumption test for some time. Today I went to the
dealer after checking my oil last night and finding it 15mm low (1700 miles since last service)
The advisor had the level checked and came up with 12mm low. He said a new long block will be ordered, per the 11-27 bulletin.

My saga started when I heard the valve train clattering shortly after my first service! No oil on the dipstick! It took 2 quarts. I broke the engine in carefully according to the guidelines in the manual. I presently have 14K on the odo.

Being an ex-mechanic, I greet this repair with some trepidation, sometimes the devil you know is easier to accept, but what the heck!

Will keep you all posted if anyone is interested as the saga continues.

06 6MT Touring Daytona Blue
Congrats and please do keep us updated with your new V2. We are tracking the OC results of the V2, if you are interested in supplying some data on an occasional basis, this will help us all in determining if the V2 is a success or failure.

Once your engine is installed you can use the template (above) and post up the data.

Thanks
Curtis

The dealership ordered the V2 motor and installed it per the TSB. I got the car back today and will let you know how it goes.
Congrats, third time is a charm!

I would be happy to update the Stats List with a big V2 for you. Please use the template and post up the data you can provide for the time being.

Thanks
Curtis

Template:
Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:
Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM
TheProfessional

I can't sit and read all 2200 posts on this topic, so read this knowing I didn't.

I was aware of an issue regarding these motors the month I bought my 06 MT.

I switched to Royal Purple within 3 months of purchase and have been on a 5,000mi plus interval pulling proper samples to send to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

All of my tests were very positive as well as the TBN (oil function).

The last 3 swaps, I have noted at least 1 quart low at 5,000 miles and added 1 quart to offset until I performed an oil change.

The most recent oil change was today, I drained 3 quarts along with a 4 ounce sample, and the remaining fluid in the filter. The date range on this fluid was from 7/19 until 12/8 at 8,000 miles.

So basically my Z consumed 3 quarts in 8,000 miles.

FYI.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
I can't sit and read all 2200 posts on this topic, so read this knowing I didn't.

So basically my Z consumed 3 quarts in 8,000 miles.
You do not need to read any further than the first page post to determine if you are entitled to a replacement engine.

That calculates to 1qt (24 mm) every 2666 miles, which is in the No Good range on the TSB. I would suggest checking it every 500 miles, compare it to the TSB oil consumption table, if it falls in the “No Good Range” take it to the dealer for them to document it on file and they will top it off and have you come back in 1k miles. Although it only takes 500 to register 2mm low on the chart to be a “No Good”. If it drops to 2mm or > then take it into dealer, they will verify then order you a replacement V2 part # 10102-AC7MZ.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:04 PM
ZeeForce

@TheProfessional

btw: Didn't you post here a long time ago and reference BlackStone Labs?
If so, then a big thanks for introducing a Used Oil Analysis to me, since then I have read the thread on UOA and have some RP 10w-30 out for analysis on my 05.

The 06 rev up will be done soon and it will be interesting to see the Chromium levels for ring wear.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
@TheProfessional

btw: Didn't you post here a long time ago and reference BlackStone Labs?
If so, then a big thanks for introducing a Used Oil Analysis to me, since then I have read the thread on UOA and have some RP 10w-30 out for analysis on my 05.

The 06 rev up will be done soon and it will be interesting to see the Chromium levels for ring wear.
Yes I have been pushing Blackstone since March 2006. Hopefully you guys have gotten some use out of my posts, these TSB threads can get heavy.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Yes I have been pushing Blackstone since March 2006. Hopefully you guys have gotten some use out of my posts, these TSB threads can get heavy.
Very much appreciated, I have been pushing Blackstone also after reading your posts, I know of four members here that are going that route. After all we have spent so much time on the oil consumption issue, what better to give our new engines the best protection we can by performing a UOA to determine which brand/type of oil is best for our rev up’s.

Thanks again!

TSB on the first page, the attachment for the oil consumption chart is pretty straight forward.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 AM
joe_blow_xbox

we're in the same boat I just got mine on friday 3rd motor, first 2 are v1's this is a v2 good luck
Good luck too. It can't be worse than the V1
Old 12-09-2007, 12:17 AM
joe_blow_xbox

Congrats, third time is a charm!

I would be happy to update the Stats List with a big V2 for you. Please use the template and post up the data you can provide for the time being.

Thanks
Curtis

Template:
Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:
Install date 12-7-07
Part Number 10102-AC7MZ (finally)
20 miles on engine and oil, still pending.
Standard Nissan issue oil. I assume 5W-30 dino oil

You bet I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 AM
luvZcar

install date 12 5/6 07 recieved car 12/7/07
part#10102-AC7MZ
84 miles/still pending
standard nissan oil 10w 30 dino
JOE check your invoice for oil type most dealers use 10w 30 (I know mine did) and they said this is nissan standard,ALSO you have an awsome color on you hands I love my lemans soooooooo sweet, is your inter black?.
O.K. just wanted to say after driving my car for about 75 miles yestarday, I had checked my muffler tips and they are as clean as can be,I know with the other two motors even short drives and I would have dirty tips, so this is giving me hope that this one will be it and I'm done with all that crap.
ZEEFORCE the reps name is OWEN LABELL he was a real winner .First he called my dealer and gave them a hard time and chewed them a new one with out even talking to me, the funny thing is is my complaint is not with the dealer as they have been straight with me and very proffessional, I'd recommend then to any one, but with NNA not giving me a new warranty I never once said any thing bad about my dealer so it struck me as strange when he did this. I did give them high marks when I spoke to this rep and the origanal lady I spoke to. then when I spoke with this guy he keep speaking over me and told me I was talking in circles and I tried to tell him its been over a year and 2 motors and he went right into talking over me again saying" i fail to see how this has costed you any money" I tried to tell him I was a realtor and needed my car for buss.He told me it was not thier problem (WRONG )as I will be filling a complaint with the BBB,I'm just so sick of this I just want them out of my hair and enjoy my car as I wanted from the start....

Last edited by luvZcar; 12-09-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Halr
... my question was only about if others have come to the conclusion that it seems the higher revs use more oil in this situation…..it would seem wise that between the 1000 mile dipstick measurements, it would be to your advantage to "drive the hell out of her" so that maximum oil usage would be obvious.

If one drives the Z conservatively, will it cause the oil consumption to be less and maybe not pass the "test" this TSB is measuring? Anyone have any actual input on this? If internal air pressures are causing some kind of valve blow by and that action is increased at higher revs, then we should know so we can make sure this TSB accurately measures our problem!
Hal
Actually peeps here (early on) have proved that driving it hard will NOT increase the oil consumption.

What has been proven to consume more oil (of course with the OC issue engines) is:
1. Running synth oil
2. Long highway (300-500 mile) trips

#2 will do it more than anything else.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
ZeeForce

part#10102-AC7MZ
84 miles/still pending

O.K. just wanted to say after driving my car for about 75 miles yestarday, I had checked my muffler tips and they are as clean as can be,I know with the other two motors even short drives and I would have dirty tips, so this is giving me hope that this one will be it and I'm done with all that crap.

ZEEFORCE the reps name is OWEN LABELL he was a real winner .First he called my dealer and gave them a hard time and chewed them a new one with out even talking to me, the funny thing is is my complaint is not with the dealer as they have been straight with me and very proffessional, I'd recommend then to any one, but with NNA not giving me a new warranty I never once said any thing bad about my dealer so it struck me as strange when he did this. I did give them high marks when I spoke to this rep and the origanal lady I spoke to. then when I spoke with this guy he keep speaking over me and told me I was talking in circles and I tried to tell him its been over a year and 2 motors and he went right into talking over me again saying" i fail to see how this has costed you any money" I tried to tell him I was a realtor and needed my car for buss.He told me it was not thier problem (WRONG )as I will be filling a complaint with the BBB,I'm just so sick of this I just want them out of my hair and enjoy my car as I wanted from the start....
Thanks I will add it to the V2 Install Stats List.

My exhaust tips were clean for a while then came back with a wee little bit of soot, as mileage increased on the engine, the soot has become less and less. I suppose it is burning out of the cats, now there is no blow by.

OWEN LABELL - NNA Rep = real jerk
Try again in about a month when they have closed your case. I really do know not what BS my rep Amy Grodinski told her supervisor, but it worked. Got to think on this for a good reason to negotiate the extended warranty, will get back with you or PM you.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 12-09-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
ZeeForce

Install date 12-7-07
Part Number 10102-AC7MZ (finally)
20 miles on engine and oil, still pending.
Standard Nissan issue oil. I assume 5W-30 dino oil

You bet I'll keep you updated.
Thanks, I updated the V2 Install Stats List. I will post up an updated list soon.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 PM
9kFever

Good luck too. It can't be worse than the V1

Dont hold your breathe. Im in the same boat as you guys. I have had 2 V1's and now a v2. The V2 is worse than the prior two engines.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
ZeeForce

Default First Page Revised & New V2 Install Stats List

The first page has been revised with all the information in one place for anyone wanting to check the TSB for OC, contact NNA, BBB, file a complaint, and view the V2 Install Stats.

I changed the format of the V2 Install Stats List.

The quantity of data is pretty weak. Guys please update and for all with newly installed V2's, please use the template on the first page and post up your stats.

Thanks
-Curtis
Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
joe_blow_xbox

part#10102-AC7MZ
84 miles/still pending
JOE check your invoice for oil type most dealers use 10w 30 (I know mine did) and they said this is nissan standard,ALSO you have an awsome color on you hands I love my lemans soooooooo sweet, is your inter black?.
yep...black interior. I really like Lemans Sunset. I don't understand why they got rid of it after 2006. My 350z manual shows a Lemans on the cover.

Good luck with the extended warranty and more importantly good luck with the V2.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
luvZcar

^^^ahhhh damm you got the good manual mine is just plan,THANKS and good luck to you, lets keep each other updated since we both just started this .......again
and I was sad to when I heard they are not going to run lemans any more but then I realized I got one of the last ones YEAHHHHH
Old 12-10-2007, 02:22 PM
9kFever

The first page has been revised with all the information in one place for anyone wanting to check the TSB for OC, contact NNA, BBB, file a complaint, and view the V2 Install Stats.

I changed the format of the V2 Install Stats List.

The quantity of data is pretty weak. Guys please update and for all with newly installed V2's, please use the template on the first page and post up your stats.

Thanks
-Curtis

thanks curtis!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataru074
No, I got your point. I feel just frustrated..because mine, according to the "dipstick rule" looks relatively good... but damn close to the "no good zone"... and using her for daily commute.
afaik if you drive using lower gears you can expect more oil consumption..
just natural.. you have more engine rev in 1000 miles.

my feeling is like having a cheater girlfriend... you can "patch it" but the relation is broke.. that's it.
but major problem is when you still like the cheater... and for what I read here.. looks that also some V2 engine still have problems, some really bad..
so.. I'm around 1qt every 5K miles... is in the good zone, but isn't in "my" good zone.
I'm just thinking about paying to extend the warranty to 100K/7years... and see what's going on.

Matteo
You want more consumption...downshift your tail off.. Brakes are optional..hint hint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion