Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 AM
tamdihugs77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in horse pucky up to my knees! You can't get a lifetime warranty!

Originally Posted by RBlover69
i got a life time warranty and no oil consumption , so right now im concentrating on mods and getting revups to 300rwhp tuned. lol
Old 03-16-2008, 05:32 AM
RBlover69

really, my warranty got extended to 100k plus free oil changes which to me sounds lifetime ish....lets not take things over board.

if ya dont know what your talking about you should talk at all i was one of the first with oil consumption issues and when i threatned a buy back with the legal right in hand i was the second to get a V2 in florida and ever since my boy at nissan put this engine in i havent had oil consumption since. But i must stress i have been using 0w40 since the start . And did baby it in the beginning but now i got milage on it and i get on her and still nothing. And i drive 26 miles a day from poinciana to downtown orlando!!!

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-16-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:12 AM
tamdihugs77

really, my warranty got extended to 100k plus free oil changes which to me sounds lifetime ish....lets not take things over board.
Yeh, it's probably 5 years or 100k which to me is no different than the factory 5yr/60k - most of us will do 5 years first but looks like you are a traveler!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by tamdihugs77
Yeh, it's probably 5 years or 100k which to me is no different than the factory 5yr/60k - most of us will do 5 years first but looks like you are a traveler!
exactly right my friend
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth....
When I bought mine new, I bought the extended warranty 7/100K.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to call NNA and see if I can grab that 100k warranty. I'm at 58k and I'd really rather not have powertrain coverage end when I'm barely out of break-in. Is there anything that you guys particularly said/did to get the extension? I'm not going to freak out at them or anything, I just think it makes the most sense to cover an engine that is brand new.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM
ZeeForce

Default All, sorry for the lengthy response.

Originally Posted by Stormidoor
Thank you Curtis - I'm just being facetious! Reading these posts is somewhat amusing
I'll see what I can do in filling out the form and responding to your PM.
Ha…Ha… I now get what you mean.
Thanks I will await your PM

Originally Posted by Stormidoor
For the Stats Man -

Oil Consumption: 20mm
Engine Install Date: Oct 2007
Engine part number: 10102-AC7MZ
Mileage on Engine: 7,4200
Mileage on current oil change interval: 2,200
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: dealer oil (don’t know)

There is an incorrect assertion on the instructions that the dipstick between L and H is 1 quart. It’s actually holds more than a quart between L and H.

I also don’t see “No Good” as an option on the list. Only
(1) So Far So Good – Still Pending
(2) Some OC – Still Pending
(3) Still Pending
(4) Still Consuming
(5) Success

This does not give those of us have a “no good” motor an option and many will state “still consuming”. Still consuming doesn’t make sense to me. It is either within the TSB or no good (time to replace the motor).

I’m also frustrated that the dealer says there are no V3s. There are a lot of people on the stats list with a “no good” and either have to sell or buy back I assume unless they want to chance it again with another V2. Is that correct?
…oooh you decided to jump the gun and post it anyway, with insufficient data – engine install date (missing the day). I had asked in the PM, that the work order invoice is pulled and certain info be looked up on a one time basis. Therefore I can have all the data in a predefined date format to be consistent with the rest of the data. Did I mention that I was meticulous, hence the PM.

This is the reason I asked twice in the PM, to send the template back to me with your stats data, therefore if you forgot to include something or it appeared there was insufficient data, we would PM back and forth rather wasting space on the thread. The other comments I welcome, with online posts, and my responses are below:

The Stats List was created before there was a TSB. The “Status” is clear on the instructions: from the instructions PM:
“Status: Is what you feel is the overall oil consumption through out every oil change based on your dipstick readings as an average.”

I did add to the Stats List a new column for the TSB OC Chart with OK and No Good ranges according to the chart. The “Status” filed on the Stats List is for ongoing updates and user input of how they feel on their overall oil consumptions on many oil change intervals. This is to give an opportunity for users to indicate that it’s flat Still Consuming in their opinion and they are pursuing other remedies or its still consuming due to break-in as one example of how this field is used. The same would be very true if the car is still in the break-in period and the user enters in” Some OC Still Pending” which could mean they are in the NO Good range according the TSB (which the stats list has a column for that) but over all their opinion is it’s still pending due to still in break-in period or whatever they want say it is, it’s their opinion of the current overall status of their engine.

To sum it up, this was created pre TSB and it’s staying with the current Stats reasons. Therefore”No Good” = Still Consuming.
Still Consuming means it’s still consuming or no good, or wasted V2, or this piece of crap, or OCiffic, or oil guzzler, or NNAshameonu, you can call it what you want but it still comes out in the end as, its “Still Consuming”.

Amount of oil between L&H hash has been proven by Nissan that it’s 1 quart. It’s irrelevant now with the TSB and that oil consumption is measured in ruler “mm”… thank goodness, that was a real mess back in the day. If you search through the thread you will find the confirmed fact. The link is on the first page. The mm = qrt conversions were left on the Stats List for those still needing to talk in layman terms outside of this thread. Pretty much states it on the first page to refer to oil consumption readings in “ruler mm”.

People on the stats list with No Good, may not necessarily be looking at the options (sell, buy-back, request another V2) at this time, as it depends on how many total miles their engines currently have, and if in their opinion they think it’s racked up too many miles then its their decision to go with one of the options you listed. Or they may be waiting for their engine to accumulate more miles, as during break-in, oil consumption is going to happen, now how much will depend on some factors. One factor many are using is the stats list is to see how much OC is occurring on how many miles on the engine and how much OC while on the current oil change. Another member is working on another factor to query members on the stats list, with an owner break-in Q&A survey, in order to provide all members here with some information to take how ever they want to…

Some of their options (that is they have made up in their mind it’s just not working out for them) I have heard of are:
Buy-back
Trade-in: for new model and not through any litigation from Nissan either, they just decided to either trade it in with the OC V1 or have it replaced and then trade in for a newer model.
Sold-it: either before engine replacement or after.
Replacement: I have heard of only one member going this route, I cannot remember who off the top, but IMHO this would be my route if it ever came to this. It’s through LL, and from what I read it’s a win win for the owner wanting to stay in a Z.
Another option is to have it replaced (free of charge) and then have it built again ($$ from owners pocket) from a reputable engine shop.

Reg: your Stats List data:
Please provide the day of the month your engine was installed, and oil type if unknown and not on the invoice is most likely conventional dino oil. Unless you want to leave that field blank? Let me know on a PM so we are not wasting any more space here with stats data which can be handled offline in pm’s. btw if you are concerned of any mis communicated data posted on the Stats List and you feel it is in error, please take up it with me off line. I will be more than happy to discuss it with and make any necessary changes to your data.

Shoot me a PM with the updated stats data.

At your service
-Curtis

I agree with stormidoor…

There needs to be an option for “no good”

Here are my stats –
Oil Consumption: 15-18mm
Engine Install Date: Early September 2007
Mileage on Engine: 8,700
Mileage on current oil change interval: 2,000
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: standard 5/30

I don’t appreciate the “baby” comments. I’m not a baby either. I’m 52 years old and a female btw.

Some of you like to hit the “ignore” button when you don’t like what some else has to say about the truth and that is the V2 is a failure. Good luck yall who decide to keep this piece of crap.
See above post ^^^ it should explain.

Please in the future, send your Stats List data to me offline in a PM.

Please provide the exact OC in mm, not between this or that, I am only entering one number and if I have to make the decision I will split your number to be 17 mm. The reason I asked twice on my PM to send this template back to me. Please pull out your work order invoice and provide the engine install “day”. Oil type “standard” I will take it as conventional or otherwise known as dino Another reason it’s best to send these update templates back to me in a PM, so we are not wasting thread space here, the thread is very long as of today (139 pages).  ” Buy-Back” is not entered into the Stats List until the member has posted that the car was dropped off at the dealer for inspection and return of vehicle under instruction from NNA or something to that extent.

Welcome to the thread, I am always happy to hear from female Z enthusiasts that take an interest in the well being of their Z. imho we need more females here, they will keep us on our toes as to whom we should refer to…her/his.

The ignore button is everyone’s choice as is it’s everyone’s choice to post here as many times as they want. One member made a good point, in his opinion, and some others agreed, about a particular member constantly post whoring on the same subject, and the suggestion was made of a tool on the forum for just that available to all, to ignore someone’s posts. Everyone also has the right, not to have to see or listen to something they think is repetitious and would rather not see or hear of it, until they are ready to pursue that path down BB Lane. There was nothing wrong with that, imho..

As far as your statement “you don’t like what some else has to say about the truth and that is the V2 is a failure.”, that is a definite statement to say that “the V2 is a failure” by using the word:” the” is referring to “all” and that is what people are jumping on, in defense and saying not all are failures. So when someone uses similar wording, people that have successful V2’s are going to chime in and say the person is wrong and that they are proof of them being wrong.

It’s all in a little word called “the”. Now if “a” was used in place of “the”, there would be no one jumping all over a particular person.

So far example if it was phrased like this: I know of a V2 that is a failure….or ….I know of many V2’ that are failures……or …..It appears that the V2 is a failure. (Still with the word” appears” in this phrasing can mean, in ones opinion)…or… All V2’s are failures (okay now its time for mother superior to jump the gun, and shoot someone).

Welcome and gl.

At your service
-Curtis
Old 03-16-2008, 03:04 PM
AznSky

sorry, curtis your post was SUPER long and I got confused....

So would purchasing a 06 that just had a v2 put in (800 miles) be a bad idea? Or is it hit or miss type of thing?

Or would purchasing ANY 06 be a bad idea?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
ZeeForce

okay just for ***** and giggles did my oil change again because of a trip to tampa for some rims ..mobile 1 express shop 0w40 with synth filter...oil was at H. I dunno peps.....much love out to ya revup brothas.
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
The offer still stands, I will split the cost on a UOA with you to see how your internals are sealing... I am confident they are looking very good.
im down, are there places locally in orlando that will offer this type of service?
Mail order only, check Will’s first page there are two labs, you want the second one, the more expensive one. I would suggest nothing less than 3750 miles on the oil sample you will need to catch (when it’s hot). Read up on the website on catching oil process. Once you are at 3750mi on your current oil and about ready to catch, let me know and I will contact the owner and make the arrangements for a 50/50 payment from two parties.

PM when you are ready.

I am sitting on a sample ready to go from my other 05 SS which has Mobil 1 0w-40 sitting in the sample bottle. I cannot send it out now due to finances, although I will somehow get your’s going and hold to my promise. So let me know when you are about ready.

At your service
-Curtis
Old 03-16-2008, 04:42 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I'm going to call NNA and see if I can grab that 100k warranty. I'm at 58k and I'd really rather not have powertrain coverage end when I'm barely out of break-in. Is there anything that you guys particularly said/did to get the extension? I'm not going to freak out at them or anything, I just think it makes the most sense to cover an engine that is brand new.
Here is my old post on getting a 100k extended warranty.
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2086
Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
tamdihugs77

Ha…Ha… I now get what you mean.
Thanks I will await your PM

…oooh you decided to jump the gun and post it anyway, with insufficient data – engine install date (missing the day). I had asked in the PM, that the work order invoice is pulled and certain info be looked up on a one time basis. Therefore I can have all the data in a predefined date format to be consistent with the rest of the data. Did I mention that I was meticulous, hence the PM.

This is the reason I asked twice in the PM, to send the template back to me with your stats data, therefore if you forgot to include something or it appeared there was insufficient data, we would PM back and forth rather wasting space on the thread. The other comments I welcome, with online posts, and my responses are below:

The Stats List was created before there was a TSB. The “Status” is clear on the instructions: from the instructions PM:
“Status: Is what you feel is the overall oil consumption through out every oil change based on your dipstick readings as an average.”

I did add to the Stats List a new column for the TSB OC Chart with OK and No Good ranges according to the chart. The “Status” filed on the Stats List is for ongoing updates and user input of how they feel on their overall oil consumptions on many oil change intervals. This is to give an opportunity for users to indicate that it’s flat Still Consuming in their opinion and they are pursuing other remedies or its still consuming due to break-in as one example of how this field is used. The same would be very true if the car is still in the break-in period and the user enters in” Some OC Still Pending” which could mean they are in the NO Good range according the TSB (which the stats list has a column for that) but over all their opinion is it’s still pending due to still in break-in period or whatever they want say it is, it’s their opinion of the current overall status of their engine.

To sum it up, this was created pre TSB and it’s staying with the current Stats reasons. Therefore”No Good” = Still Consuming.
Still Consuming means it’s still consuming or no good, or wasted V2, or this piece of crap, or OCiffic, or oil guzzler, or NNAshameonu, you can call it what you want but it still comes out in the end as, its “Still Consuming”.

Amount of oil between L&H hash has been proven by Nissan that it’s 1 quart. It’s irrelevant now with the TSB and that oil consumption is measured in ruler “mm”… thank goodness, that was a real mess back in the day. If you search through the thread you will find the confirmed fact. The link is on the first page. The mm = qrt conversions were left on the Stats List for those still needing to talk in layman terms outside of this thread. Pretty much states it on the first page to refer to oil consumption readings in “ruler mm”.

People on the stats list with No Good, may not necessarily be looking at the options (sell, buy-back, request another V2) at this time, as it depends on how many total miles their engines currently have, and if in their opinion they think it’s racked up too many miles then its their decision to go with one of the options you listed. Or they may be waiting for their engine to accumulate more miles, as during break-in, oil consumption is going to happen, now how much will depend on some factors. One factor many are using is the stats list is to see how much OC is occurring on how many miles on the engine and how much OC while on the current oil change. Another member is working on another factor to query members on the stats list, with an owner break-in Q&A survey, in order to provide all members here with some information to take how ever they want to…

Some of their options (that is they have made up in their mind it’s just not working out for them) I have heard of are:
Buy-back
Trade-in: for new model and not through any litigation from Nissan either, they just decided to either trade it in with the OC V1 or have it replaced and then trade in for a newer model.
Sold-it: either before engine replacement or after.
Replacement: I have heard of only one member going this route, I cannot remember who off the top, but IMHO this would be my route if it ever came to this. It’s through LL, and from what I read it’s a win win for the owner wanting to stay in a Z.
Another option is to have it replaced (free of charge) and then have it built again ($$ from owners pocket) from a reputable engine shop.

Reg: your Stats List data:
Please provide the day of the month your engine was installed, and oil type if unknown and not on the invoice is most likely conventional dino oil. Unless you want to leave that field blank? Let me know on a PM so we are not wasting any more space here with stats data which can be handled offline in pm’s. btw if you are concerned of any mis communicated data posted on the Stats List and you feel it is in error, please take up it with me off line. I will be more than happy to discuss it with and make any necessary changes to your data.

At your service
-Curtis

See above post ^^^ it should explain.

Please in the future, send your Stats List data to me offline in a PM.

Please provide the exact OC in mm, not between this or that, I am only entering one number and if I have to make the decision I will split your number to be 17 mm. The reason I asked twice on my PM to send this template back to me. Please pull out your work order invoice and provide the engine install “day”. Oil type “standard” I will take it as conventional or otherwise known as dino Another reason it’s best to send these update templates back to me in a PM, so we are not wasting thread space here, the thread is very long as of today (139 pages).  ” Buy-Back” is not entered into the Stats List until the member has posted that the car was dropped off at the dealer for inspection and return of vehicle under instruction from NNA or something to that extent.

Welcome to the thread, I am always happy to hear from female Z enthusiasts that take an interest in the well being of their Z. imho we need more females here, they will keep us on our toes as to whom we should refer to…her/his.

The ignore button is everyone’s choice as is it’s everyone’s choice to post here as many times as they want. One member made a good point, in his opinion, and some others agreed, about a particular member constantly post whoring on the same subject, and the suggestion was made of a tool on the forum for just that available to all, to ignore someone’s posts. Everyone also has the right, not to have to see or listen to something they think is repetitious and would rather not see or hear of it, until they are ready to pursue that path down BB Lane. There was nothing wrong with that, imho..

As far as your statement “you don’t like what some else has to say about the truth and that is the V2 is a failure.”, that is a definite statement to say that “the V2 is a failure” by using the word:” the” is referring to “all” and that is what people are jumping on, in defense and saying not all are failures. So when someone uses similar wording, people that have successful V2’s are going to chime in and say the person is wrong and that they are proof of them being wrong.

It’s all in a little word called “the”. Now if “a” was used in place of “the”, there would be no one jumping all over a particular person.

So far example if it was phrased like this: I know of a V2 that is a failure….or ….I know of many V2’ that are failures……or …..It appears that the V2 is a failure. (Still with the word” appears” in this phrasing can mean, in ones opinion)…or… All V2’s are failures (okay now its time for mother superior to jump the gun, and shoot someone).

Welcome and gl.

At your service
-Curtis
Btw- I have a right to my opinion and you're not going to tell me to use "a" instead of "the". I said "the V2 is a failure" and I stand by it. Too many have failed for it to be a success. Do you not get that? I did not say they were all failures - read it again.

So if we don't fill this out to your satisfaction then we don't become a statistic? You'd rather leave me off anyway. Just what I thought.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my old post on getting a 100k extended warranty.
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2086
Great- thanks a lot! I'll go by the dealer and talk with the service manager to see if I can get the ball rolling on their side of the court.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:31 PM
ZeeForce

Here are my stats –
Oil Consumption: 15-18mm
Engine Install Date: Early September 2007
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: standard 5/30

I don’t appreciate the “baby” comments. I’m not a baby either. I’m 52 years old and a female btw.

Some of you like to hit the “ignore” button when you don’t like what some else has to say about the truth and that is the V2 is a failure. Good luck yall who decide to keep this piece of crap.
Btw- I have a right to my opinion and you're not going to tell me to use "a" instead of "the". I said "the V2 is a failure" and I stand by it. Too many have failed for it to be a success. Do you not get that? I did not say they were all failures - read it again.

So if we don't fill this out to your satisfaction then we don't become a statistic? You'd rather leave me off anyway. Just what I thought.
My apologies, I re read it and you did not say that all are failures.
Yes, you do have the right to an opinion and I am not taking that away from you, all the power to you baby! (no pun intended)

So how does this look for your stats to be posted on the list?

Oil Consumption: 17mm
Engine Install Date: 09/xx/07
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: dino 05w-30

I am trying to work with you here.

At your service
-Curtis
Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by AznSky
sorry, curtis your post was SUPER long and I got confused....
So would purchasing a 06 that just had a v2 put in (800 miles) be a bad idea? Or is it hit or miss type of thing?
Sorry for the long post, guess it would be confusing if you had not seen the Stats List on page 1, or received my pm with detailed definitions of the stats list. You pretty much did not miss much. This is my opinion only. I had to make this clear up front and get it out of the way. I may not be the right person to ask, as I have been called biased and one sided. Okay..okay…..in all seriousness now, I just had to get that off for Stormidoor, something to amuse him with….jk

Answer is No and Yes.

No, if I was going to buy it for DD and keep it stock. Even knowing about possible OC with some V2’s, unless you were going to be in for the long haul and know up front, then I would say No…
Other factors to consider would be if the original warranty transferred over (which it should), and depending on how much warranty mileage was left on the original 50mo / 60k mile mfg warranty.

Yes, if I was going to have it rebuilt. With the price drops that I been hearing here, myself I have not checked, that you could get one for, at a steal of a price and then have it rebuilt… yes then buy one.

Bottom line is, I would not wish this car on my worse enemy, it will drain you and frustrate you, I have seen many here just throw up their arms and want out of the Z all together…the answer is NO....save your money for a 07-08 or drop down to a 05.

I have both a 05 & 06 housed in my garage, so I have first hand experience on both years. If it was not for my love of the Interlagos Fire on the 06, which was only made one year and now is a collectors color, and for the mods I have done to the suspension, I would have gone the LL replacement route for a 07-08. This is not my opinion on my current disposition of my Z, as I know what I am in for, and I am optimistic with mine.

“If I had to do it over again, I would have gone into hibernation for a year, to purposely miss the 06 Rev Up.”

Cheers
-Curtis
Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
ZeeForce

Great- thanks a lot! I'll go by the dealer and talk with the service manager to see if I can get the ball rolling on their side of the court.
np..pm me if I can be of assistance.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:14 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good link Curtis gave you.
I've already got my SM at my current dealership agreeing to go to bat for me when that time arrives at getting my extended warranty, extended.
The SM is your friend, don't forget that.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 AM
tamdihugs77

Smile

My apologies, I re read it and you did not say that all are failures.
Yes, you do have the right to an opinion and I am not taking that away from you, all the power to you baby! (no pun intended)

So how does this look for your stats to be posted on the list?

Oil Consumption: 17mm
Engine Install Date: 09/xx/07
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: dino 05w-30

I am trying to work with you here.

At your service
-Curtis
Thank you for keeping my stat. Sorry for being so abrupt. I'm not sure of the exact date and really don't want to go through that paperwork again. I'll be a happy camper when Nissan sends me that big check.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Stormidoor

Originally Posted by AznSky
No the '06 automatic is a good one. The manual trasmission is 'the' lemon model both the V1 and V2 motors are consuming excessive oil, pinging, and other related problems. Some think its a thow of the dice. I wouldn't bet on it..
Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
joe_blow_xbox

@AznSky

I would avoid an 06 manual like the plague. You are taking a very big risk on an 06 manual.

Either get an 07 manual or an 05 manual. You might be able to get quite the deal on new leftover 2007 manuals if that is what you are looking for.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
jkim1978

Default my update status.....

i just looked at the stats list that someone created.. and they wrote mine as v2... i am still on a v1... they just switched out with another v1.... went in for an oil change like two month ago.. and said that there is still some oc... but its within range..... that is what they tell me....... still love the car... but just insecure about the car....

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion