Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
markiev37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the great info on this site...I finally got fed up with Infiniti/nissan and traded the coupe in....No more modding like this again for me...Picked up an 08 civic si and am happy with it...Only going to drop it, put on some wheels and tint the windows...Nothing else..
Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
rotchcrocket04

Guys, I thought I would post in here to ask a question to all that are very knowledgeable about the OC issues. I'm going to look at two 06 Z's on Monday. One with 7,500 miles and another with 14,000. It's reassuring that Nissan released the TSB. However, I really want an 06 mostly b/c it's in my price range and the 05s go for right around the same price with less features.

Though, I'm concerned about buying an 06 at all because of this possible issue. Yeah, it would be covered under warranty if anything happened... but like everyone else... I don't really want to have to go through that enormous hassle.

What do you guys think? I really appreciate all the help I've been getting on the site! Thanks in advance..
Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 AM
350Z_GTS

a quick question,
i took in the car and the dealer put the silcon on the drain plug and bolt, which is ok. But told me not to do anything with the oil including checking it. Does that sound right? I ask cause i will be extremely upset if i did and they overfilled it to cover their ***. Is this just procedure and should i check it or just bring the car back as they ask. the car when i checked it burned 1 1/2 qt at 1900 miles so i should be fine i assume for the new engine.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04
Guys, I thought I would post in here to ask a question to all that are very knowledgeable about the OC issues. I'm going to look at two 06 Z's on Monday. One with 7,500 miles and another with 14,000. It's reassuring that Nissan released the TSB. However, I really want an 06 mostly b/c it's in my price range and the 05s go for right around the same price with less features.

Though, I'm concerned about buying an 06 at all because of this possible issue. Yeah, it would be covered under warranty if anything happened... but like everyone else... I don't really want to have to go through that enormous hassle.

What do you guys think? I really appreciate all the help I've been getting on the site! Thanks in advance..
It all depends on the deal. If going to the dealer three or four times and dealing with having a rental for several days seems worth it to you for the price, then grab an 06.

The one issue that's still out there, however, is if the v2 engine is truly a "Fix". If it's not, you might be dealing with oil consumption issues for quite a while.

That's not to say, however, that they may not come out with some kind of v3. Who knows.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by 350Z_GTS
a quick question,
i took in the car and the dealer put the silcon on the drain plug and bolt, which is ok. But told me not to do anything with the oil including checking it. Does that sound right? I ask cause i will be extremely upset if i did and they overfilled it to cover their ***. Is this just procedure and should i check it or just bring the car back as they ask. the car when i checked it burned 1 1/2 qt at 1900 miles so i should be fine i assume for the new engine.
This same exact thing happened to me at a dealer. They overfilled it to over 6 quarts, to the point where under hard acceleration oil actually came out of the dipstick tube. It would get all over the engine and burn off during driving. How awesome is that. I only found out after the fact, of course, because I thought that the oil might have just been dripped on the engine by the tech during the oil change.

My opinion: ask to see the dipstick when the oil change is done. Make sure the oil is at the H mark. Don't take their word for it. Let them know that you've been to another dealer (Even if you haven't) and that they overfilled the engine a couple of times. That way, when you come back, you'll be sure to have an accurate reading along with peace of mind.

The dealers should be on your side for this, though, since they get paid pretty well to change the engine out. I still can't figure out why the first dealer I went to wanted to fight me about the engine swap.

Also, don't be scared to take it to another dealer if you're having problems with the one you're dealing with now.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 AM
KRRZ350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Z_GTS
a quick question,
DO NOT TAKE THIS POST AS THE TRUTH:

OK, had to give that warning, because there's others much more knowledgable in the dealers oc tests. But when I brought an I35 into the Infiniti dealer for an OC test, just got the paint on the drain, was told nothing of the sorts, I don't beleive others were either, and I don't see why they wouldn't want you to check the level.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 AM
KRRZ350

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04

Just out of curiousity, have you wondered why it might be for sale? Also, keep in mind only M/T's are rev-up equipped. If you do decide on purchasing one, at the least I would recommend calling a trusted dealership up with the VIN just to make sure it won't be warranty denied for something on the previous owners end.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Doba

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Just out of curiousity, have you wondered why it might be for sale?
the OC issue isnt the only reason people sell 06's, many regular folk sell the car not even knowing they have the issue.

This oc issue is the only reason Im hesitating on an 06 also, but Ive seen a few in the $19K (enthus model) which is hard to pass.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
It all depends on the deal. If going to the dealer three or four times and dealing with having a rental for several days seems worth it to you for the price, then grab an 06.

The one issue that's still out there, however, is if the v2 engine is truly a "Fix". If it's not, you might be dealing with oil consumption issues for quite a while.

That's not to say, however, that they may not come out with some kind of v3. Who knows.
Agree...
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
This same exact thing happened to me at a dealer. They overfilled it to over 6 quarts, to the point where under hard acceleration oil actually came out of the dipstick tube. It would get all over the engine and burn off during driving. How awesome is that. I only found out after the fact, of course, because I thought that the oil might have just been dripped on the engine by the tech during the oil change.

My opinion: ask to see the dipstick when the oil change is done. Make sure the oil is at the H mark. Don't take their word for it. Let them know that you've been to another dealer (Even if you haven't) and that they overfilled the engine a couple of times. That way, when you come back, you'll be sure to have an accurate reading along with peace of mind.

The dealers should be on your side for this, though, since they get paid pretty well to change the engine out. I still can't figure out why the first dealer I went to wanted to fight me about the engine swap.

Also, don't be scared to take it to another dealer if you're having problems with the one you're dealing with now.
Again...agree. I personally myself have gone with a different dealer bc of what you said and I underlined.
Originally Posted by KRRZ350
DO NOT TAKE THIS POST AS THE TRUTH:

OK, had to give that warning, because there's others much more knowledgable in the dealers oc tests. But when I brought an I35 into the Infiniti dealer for an OC test, just got the paint on the drain, was told nothing of the sorts, I don't beleive others were either, and I don't see why they wouldn't want you to check the level.
I have heard stories of all entry/exit oil points being sealed and/or marked, but that was pre-TSB days when the replacement standard was 1qt/1000mi or worse. Think those dealers were trying to alleviate any hanky panky by customer. Although on the flip side of that coin, what about dealer hany panky, of which I have my own suspisions and have personally experienced concerning this OC issue on mine with two dealers so far. Might be hunting for a third to go to.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
cheshirecat79

Each time I've gone to the dealer (I went through four oil tests) I had a mark on my oil plug and oil fill cap. They also ziptied down the dipstick. I think this is pretty common among all dealers.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
fast kiwi

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Agree...

Again...agree. I personally myself have gone with a different dealer bc of what you said and I underlined.

I have heard stories of all entry/exit oil points being sealed and/or marked, but that was pre-TSB days when the replacement standard was 1qt/1000mi or worse. Think those dealers were trying to alleviate any hanky panky by customer. Although on the flip side of that coin, what about dealer hany panky, of which I have my own suspisions and have personally experienced concerning this OC issue on mine with two dealers so far. Might be hunting for a third to go to.

Interesting you say this coz..
I now have my engine being watched.. I only had about 180miles on the car from when the oil was changed but i had to go in and get the stereo replaced.. I had checked the oil when the first did the oil change and it was topd up correctly, however i checked again after the dealer installed the stereo and had told me they did nothing to the oil.. to my surprise im a little higher.. like into the "H".. kinda strange i thought..
Old 03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by fast kiwi
Interesting you say this coz..
I now have my engine being watched.. I only had about 180miles on the car from when the oil was changed but i had to go in and get the stereo replaced.. I had checked the oil when the first did the oil change and it was topd up correctly, however i checked again after the dealer installed the stereo and had told me they did nothing to the oil.. to my surprise im a little higher.. like into the "H".. kinda strange i thought..
A couple of MM fluctuation isn't necessarily signs of tampering. The dipstick sucks and it takes time for the oil to settle back into the pan properly. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
06CPV35

Not meaning to change this into dealer bashing, but I've known my consumption rate for two years. My regular local dealer has known my OC rate that whole time, just never qualified with pre-TSB guidelines. They start testing, even show me the stick at full as I asked, but was it seated all the down before he pulled it? I didn't check that...lol. But due to the soon following proof of incompetency on another matter, I switched dealers and second dealer agreed to take over testing where I started. Who's to say they didn't top me off while in for other reason.

Now the second dealer, which fix what first dealer couldn't after many attempts, said to come back in 1000mi when I had started with first. Okay, when I was at ~1200mi mark, checked my level before going there from cold start-up. Was at ~6-8mm down, which is higher than normal for the past two years. I'm historically ~10-12mm down at that mileage. Safe to assume I was overfilled, but no proof. Fine go to dealer, request to see when tech pulls stick. It sits for 20min, tech calls me in, hood already up, pulls stick and it's at FULL!! lol. Asked if they topped me off, guess the answer. Asked for him to please do that again, he did three more times...full. Requested testing to continue and that's where I'm at currently.

Waited 2 years for this TSB to finally qualify me, get into official testing and now got played by two dealers apparently playing games in preventing me qualifying for my V2 Do I sound like I have dealer trust issues? At this point, you bet I do
Okay...my dealer rant is over and done with. And I got off topic big time me---> <---you members here.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 03-13-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

dude check your oil by yourself and then take it to dealer and tell them that its low. if u still think the dealer is playing you then go to jeffy lube or some other oil place so they could check it out.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

here in so cali (dont know about other places) jiffy lube is topping off any fluid change you get from them for 3 months. OC problem people can go there if they want
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by markiev37
thanks for all the great info on this site...I finally got fed up with Infiniti/nissan and traded the coupe in....No more modding like this again for me...Picked up an 08 civic si and am happy with it...Only going to drop it, put on some wheels and tint the windows...Nothing else..
im thinking of getting civic si also if i get buyback from dealer or trade in soon. hows the si compared to Z or G you had?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by myZter
dude check your oil by yourself and then take it to dealer and tell them that its low. if u still think the dealer is playing you then go to jeffy lube or some other oil place so they could check it out.
Originally Posted by myZter
here in so cali (dont know about other places) jiffy lube is topping off any fluid change you get from them for 3 months. OC problem people can go there if they want
Thanks for the suggestion, but have this feeling dealer has to be the one to check in regards to the TSB and qualifing for V2 replacement
Old 03-14-2008, 02:46 AM
tamdihugs77

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Z-Track, cheshirecat79, Congrats!

Sent pm's on data for the stats list.
You are bias! You apparently don't want me, a failing V2 owner on your stats list. You send cheshirecat and Ztrack PMs for stats and not me? My V2 is now consuming oil and I never drove it hard in any way. My experience is this V2 leaks because I drive too easy. Seems like you want stats from only those who meet your criteria and have no problems with their V2. Sure does fit your therory that the V2 is not a failure.

Let's twist the stats now!

Last edited by tamdihugs77; 03-14-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 AM
tamdihugs77

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
The technical service bulletin (TSB) NTB07-088 was amended on 2/27/08 with NTB07-088b

The new TSB can be found on the first page, the old one can still be found on the link to the original TSB post at the top of the page.

The oil consumption chart was amended by eliminating the first two columns on miles 0-500 & 501-1000 miles, where now the minimum oil consumption accepted in the No Good Range is 8mm in the 1001-1500 mile range.

The second amendment is the addition of “Caution” break-in notes, which was first seen on the Infiniti TSB.

IMO…. In the original TSB, all references are to 1000 mile mark, top it off and return in 1000 miles for another oil check. Customer may return up to three times for a 1000-3750 mile oil level check. Thanks to a buddy of mine on tech, with the heads up, on this updated TSB. Most if not all of what I have read here with owners since the first release of the TSB, is that the dealers were telling everyone to come back in 1000 miles. IMO… It doesn’t sound like any owners where able to cash in on the 2mm OC in the 0-500 mile range. Not sure if any owners received engine replacements on the 6-7 mm in the 501-1000 mile range, I believe so but not sure as they may have fallen into the 8mm 1001 plus miles range. At any rate IMHO they should have kept the 6-7mm 501-1000 mile range on the chart.

“NEW” No Good Range:

1,001-1,500 Miles -- 8mm thru 10mm
1,501-2,000 Miles -- 11mm thru 13mm
2,001-2,500 Miles -- 14mm thru 18mm
2,501-3,000 Miles -- 19mm thru 22mm
3,001-3,500 Miles -- 23mm thru 24mm
3,501-3,750 Miles -- > 24mm

I would imagine Infiniti’ TSB will not be far behind with an amendment and new TSB, if it has not already been amended.

Cheers
-Curtis
So this is all Nissan has to offer is a revised TSB and then give us the same V2? Tighten up the TSB and continue to give out the V2? Is there any mention of a V3 in the works?

Last edited by tamdihugs77; 03-14-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by tamdihugs77
Is there any mention of a V3 in the works?
No.

You are bias! You apparently don't want me, a failing V2 owner on your stats list. You send cheshirecat and Ztrack PMs for stats and not me? My V2 is now consuming oil and I never drove it hard in any way. My experience is this V2 leaks because I drive too easy. Seems like you want stats from only those who meet your criteria and have no problems with their V2. Sure does fit your therory that the V2 is not a failure.
You act like the guy is getting paid by Nissan to make this sheet. He's not. He's doing it on his own time to help people who have this oil consumption problem.

Rather than crying foul over some kind of conspiracy, at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he looked over your post and forgot to take your experience into consideration.

The V2 is working for some people. It is not working for others. By taking down the data of what engines people are getting (and possibly breaking them in) we may be able to find out if there's a driver-related issue that's contributing to the new engine's failure.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion