Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:39 AM
VQLOVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let Nissan do all of my oil changes and yesterday it was down almost 2.5 quarts. I told the guy to schedule me for an oil consumption test. This dumbass mechanic and I think he is their main guy, comes up to me after he hears me say that these motors are having oil consumption problems and argues with me that the 3.5L has absolutely no problems with oil. I just started laughing at him. So the service manager says we can do a test but more than likely that won't cover it because I have exhaust. I said what the hell does exhaust have to do with oil. He mumbled out some b.s., so I'm still doing the test, basically for no reason.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
bofa

Exhaust, no, but test pipes will probably not help you. All that means though is that you'll have to wait for the TSB or recall.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:24 AM
labelworkshop75

Yep i have an 06. Couldnt get a reading on my dip stick,... added a quart. (still no reading, thought my dip stick was just messed up.) Then when it was time for an oil change only like 2.5 quarts at most came out of my engine. Took it to Reid Nissan in Orlando and they began the oil consumption test. Basically all they did was put a mark on my oil plug and filter and told me to come back in like 4000 miles. We will see in a few months if I get a free engine??
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
VQLOVER

How many people here with consumption problems have test pipes.
Mine goes in for consumption tomorrow and I know the dealer is going to screw me out of a replacement for that reason. And for those who have had a test done, did the dealer ask for all of your oil change reciepts. The service manager asked for mine and I thought that was a little weird. I told my grandpa (he's a retired service manager for Ford as of last year), and he said that's the dumbest thing he's ever heard. So i dunno.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Theatrix
Professional

A few additional details.

My car is in today for evaluation (after consumption test). I was told that they have performed a compression test and it failed so they will be ordering a new engine.

Meanwhile, I contacted the service manager of R Nissan (good guy and a sponsor on Freshalloy.com) who inturn placed a phone call to his Nissan Rep and was told that they are very much aware of the problem and as of yet have no solution. Futhermore, Nissan was not authorizing an engine swap until they understood what the overall problem is.

Now in my youth, that would have probably been ok with me, but I'm an old man of 48 and I no longer have the patience to be jerked around. I proceeded to write my story and those of many others with Z's and G's who are facing similar problems and sent it off to 60 minutes. I then called Nissan corp consumer affairs and notified them of what I had done and what do you know? They were kind of receptive! Surprise.

They have some big wheel calling me within 24 hours to discuss my sitiuation.

I don't know the outcome, but I will persue 60 minutes and every other national news service with emails until someone either picks up the story or Nissan is compelled to resolve this.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Update, just got a call from the dealer, who I imagine got a call from Nissan corp.

They have received the go ahead to order a long block and will have it in in two days. And then two days for install.

Now I am little dissapointed because I was gearing up for a fight.

To those who have not gotten what they deserve under the warranty, you are not pushing the right buttons.!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Theatrix
Update, just got a call from the dealer, who I imagine got a call from Nissan corp.

They have received the go ahead to order a long block and will have it in in two days. And then two days for install.

Now I am little dissapointed because I was gearing up for a fight.

To those who have not gotten what they deserve under the warranty, you are not pushing the right buttons.!
Quick change of heart I see. That is good. Some of these numbers amaze me 4 qt in 1000 miles, 2.5 qts in 700 miles?! That tends to make me believe there is the general oil consumption issue, but then something further wrong in other cases.

I would think since Nissan is aware of the issue and admits it exists and has so far been unable to repair it, would make any lemon law suit very easy. Just my opinion though.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
bofa

I hate to break it to ya, but that engine swap ain't gonna do squat because they haven't figured out the exact cause and fix for the issue yet. You're setting yourself up for a couple of more months of waiting and you'll be right here again. Talk to the big wig and push his buttons.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by bofa
I hate to break it to ya, but that engine swap ain't gonna do squat because they haven't figured out the exact cause and fix for the issue yet. You're setting yourself up for a couple of more months of waiting and you'll be right here again. Talk to the big wig and push his buttons.

+1,000,000 We need solutions not just engine swaps.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
ZPHILE

Default Oil consumption thread - Do it! (most of u have already!)

I was just clued into the thread today. Here's the post. Everyone that has a problem should be registered here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=1#post3387436
Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
m3nthol

damn, should of known this before i purchase my 06! all this talk about oil consumption problem is getting me worried.

i cant even read the oil dip stick, how the hell am i suppose to know how much oil its burning!! fookinA
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
bofa

^It's a little wasier to read after the engine cools a bit. Just keep an eye on it for now. If you notice possible signs, get the dealer on it asap.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
creationv2

man mine seems okay every other oil change, test and whatever....unless theyre lying to me, i havent asked to go and see for myself....can we just ask to watch and see when the oil is drained? or are customers not supposed to be in the garage?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 AM
markiev37

It's great that we are sharing in each other's problems and concerns but I think it is time for each and everyone of us with or without an oil consumption problems to band together and do exactely what theatrix has done. Until Nissan/Infiniti is made aware that this problem will be made public to millions of people who buy their product, then and only then will they address this problem publicly...Great job Theatrix.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Theatrix
Professional

It's time to organize, fellas!

Either create your own or use pieces of this letter and email it to 60M@cbsnews.com. I will clean up the registry thread so it makes more sense.

I will also offer up my suggestions as to how to bring this problem to the forefront of the Nissans Corps priorities!

60 Minutes

To who it may concern:

My name is Rick Coomer. I purchased two vehicles from Nissan in 06'. An 06' Infiniti G35 and an 06' Z350 at a price of 40K ea that I gave to my sons who became of driving age. These were to be graduation gift for a job well done. Of course they love these cars, who wouldn't. As a result of owning them, we decided that we would create a club for enthusiasts in our area and began to meet every other Sunday to discuss these cars, go on cruises and such things. We also found forums that allowed us to communicate with other enthusiasts around the country and around the world.

It was through our online forum communication that we discovered that owners of 06' manual transmission rev-up engines which are in both of these cars were having oil consumption issues. Because we are enthusiasts and meet at a shop, we change our oil more frequently than most. At about two thousand miles, I began to notice that the 350Z was consuming at a minimum, 1-2 qts every 2000 miles. The problem deteriorated to the point were we were burning 2 qts every 700 miles. Obviously a problem. It was at this point that I took the car in for an oil consumption test so that the dealer could verify and document the problem.

During this time I had already been brought up to date by hundred of other owners around the world who were experiencing the identical problem, and had done the same oil consumption test with their dealers. Early on, Nissan accepted the problem and immediately replaced the engines in many of these cars. But as time went on (months) many of the vehicles with swapped engines continued to experience the same problem. It was at this point that apparently Nissan decided to no longer swap engines because they could not identify the cause. How is it that a car manufacturer can manufacture vehicles, offer a warranty, but not live up to the warranty?

This brings us to were we are today. After having the situation explained to me by a Service manager of a Nissan dealership, I decided that I have had enough of this. I placed my trust in Nissan and purchased two vehicles from them that I expect will provide my children with safe transportation while they are away at school. Instead I am faced with a situation where I can not trust these vehicles and furthermore, the manufacturer is not stepping up and handling their implied responsibilities.

I have created a registry from owners around the country that continue to struggle with this problem and many are now attempting to Lemon Law their cars because of it. I am asking for your help in exposing this situation and making this public. I can be reached at 856-607-6755 and I can provide all the necessary documents, web sites, forums and other owners you will need to investigate this.

Sincerely,

Rick Coomer
Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 AM
cellude

You guys might also want to include CNN as a contact point. I saw this morning on a segment talking about how cars no longer have 5mph bumpers and slow <6 mph collisions cause thousands of dollars of damage. Incidentally the Altima was on there as one of the worse examples.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
man mine seems okay every other oil change, test and whatever....unless theyre lying to me, i havent asked to go and see for myself....can we just ask to watch and see when the oil is drained? or are customers not supposed to be in the garage?
I always check it before I go so I know exactly what the reading is. I usually make sure it is first thing in the morning before going to the dealer or I let it cool. I have also started checking while the engine is cooling at the dealership. I just don't trust anyone, but that is just me.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
350Z_LMS

anyone with an OK compression test had their engine swapped?

I'm having to stick with a total rebuild from Nissan. I mean they're cleaning all the mess and reassembling my existing engine again. guys this SUCKS
Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

If I ask the dealer to check the amount of oil that comes out when they do an oil change, and they find that the engine has apparently consumed some oil, what is their motivation to tell me the truth about it? If Nissan does not want to warrant the repair, and the car is under warranty, I image they just won't tell me about it. That's scary business....but I'm going to request it the next time I go in (about 3k miles from now).
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Boostd4

After reading through the posts I've decided to carefully track my oil. I purchased my 06 from my local Nissan Dealer (was a dealer "factory" car which the GM drove) with 7745 miles on the clock. I have since then put about 1500 miles on the car and the oil is just above 1/2 mark on the dipstick. I can't be certain where it was when I purchased the car (just below the top mark if I'm not mistaken) but I'll be sure to chime in when I get some solid observations.

Just to add some detail, I drive roughly 70 miles per day...mostly cruising to work. I have fun with it sometimes, but I don't beat the hell out of the car. I'm getting close to 400 miles out of a tank...so I'm not beating on it.

On a side note...my old 2001 S2000 burned oil...probably about 1qt every 3K miles and this was "within spec". Granted it redlined 2K rpms later, it doesn't seem that out of place that this motor would burn a little...but not to the extent that some of you are experiencing.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion