Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
ZPHILE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbasal
Are you saying that you had more oil loss with Syn or Mineral? Thanks for the info.
Had tons of loss with Syn in my car (Mobil 1) +1Qt/1000mi. Immediately after the dealer put in Dino oil (Valvoline) comsumption was way better ~.25Qt loss/1100mi. my last consumption test. Wish you were in SoCal - I could recommend a better stealership to go to. Most make me Ride these jerks to the end!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Had tons of loss with Syn in my car (Mobil 1) +1Qt/1000mi. Immediately after the dealer put in Dino oil (Valvoline) comsumption was way better ~.25Qt loss/1100mi. my last consumption test. Wish you were in SoCal - I could recommend a better stealership to go to. Most make me Ride these jerks to the end!!!!
Thank you for the info. I am riding them very hard, but will be changin dealerships. Not what I wanted to do, but if they are going to artificially report it as lower for the sake of the documentation because they don't believe there is an issue, then I am going to go elsewhere. The funny thing about this stealership is that I had an older Maxima that I took for service there and got 5 star service. I buy two vehicles from them and have never seen worse service.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:05 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

Guys I think I am in the group now too.
I have an 06 Base M/T.
I have been running RP 5w30 since my first oil change on the car. I have not driven her hard (a couple times to the red line, and one trip to the 1/4 mile track). I am just over 10,000 miles and have owned the car since may 06.
I did the break in period to the book.
The only mod I have is a Pop Charger.

In December I had an oil change prior to taking a 600 mile trip to DC. I did a little here-there driving, which I figure about 150miles on top of it (750 miles). My car has been sitting in storage and I checked the oil tonight - it looks like I'm down about 1 - 1.5 quarts.
Not good.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:16 PM
pln2311

I did the consumption testing. I was down 1 quart every 700 miles. Nissan replaced my short block last month. I have 900 miles on the new engine and have no more consumption problems as of yet. My dealer is pretty cool, they replaced it with all of the mods listed below.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:58 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by davids
Guys I think I am in the group now too.
I have an 06 Base M/T.
I have been running RP 5w30 since my first oil change on the car. I have not driven her hard (a couple times to the red line, and one trip to the 1/4 mile track). I am just over 10,000 miles and have owned the car since may 06.
I did the break in period to the book.
The only mod I have is a Pop Charger.

In December I had an oil change prior to taking a 600 mile trip to DC. I did a little here-there driving, which I figure about 150miles on top of it (750 miles). My car has been sitting in storage and I checked the oil tonight - it looks like I'm down about 1 - 1.5 quarts.
Not good.
Sounds like my situation with the exception that I am completely stock. Being originally from your area, I certainly know that you have to keep it stored in the winter. My guess is that many people are in the same situation and don't know it yet. Come the warmer season up north, we probably could see a lot more people joining the club.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 PM
bofa

dbasal, I'd definitely switch dealers. Again no word from the regional rep today... I called the NNA rep today and got her vm and no return call (and her voicemail says "today is October XX and I am in the office...lol). I didn't expect much more but I'll be all over them next week. I'm tired of starring at these mods in my garage.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 PM
doctorshumes

Are all of these oil measurements based on the oil stick or the amount of oil needed to fill it back to the H mark, or the amount of oil physically measured from the oil pan. The reason I am asking is that I know that the oil stick underestimates the amount of oil loss. When I replace the oil with 5 quarts it reads right at the H mark. 1,000 miles late with driving up to around 4K rpm and 50/50 city/highway miles with RP 5/30 and im down to 1/2 way between the H and L marks if you let the car sit overnight. However, it takes more then a 1/2 quart of oil to get back to the H mark. It takes about 3/4 of a quart or more. Sooooo Im sure a lot of people are underestimating their oil loss depending on how its reported. I think the thicker dino oil with a high temp break down (vaporize) such as valvoline all weather would likely burn less oil. Still doesnt fix the problem though.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 PM
MightyMouse1975

My valves are tapping so friggin bad, and my car was down to 2 cups of oil on the first oil change. If they don't replace my longblock I'm gonna be thouroughly pissed off..
I guess I'll just have to be there when they pull the valve covers off and inspect the cams and whatnot. I have no intentions of being screwed 120,000 miles down the line because Nissan/Infiniti went the short block cheap route...
Old 02-10-2007, 04:15 AM
bofa

doctorshumes, for my first leg of the consumption test they actually measure the volume of the remaining oil in the car and I was down 4 qts. But then they figured out NNA requires that they measure on the dipstick. Two intervals later (they forgot to measure the next one) and I was down 40mm. Bone dry either way.

MM1975, do you mean quarts? I agree with you about the ticking. There's no way in hell I'll let them slide with a short block.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:01 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
dbasal, I'd definitely switch dealers. Again no word from the regional rep today... I called the NNA rep today and got her vm and no return call (and her voicemail says "today is October XX and I am in the office...lol). I didn't expect much more but I'll be all over them next week. I'm tired of starring at these mods in my garage.
Now that is called being lazy with the voicemail!

I know how you feel with mods. I am not going to do anything until I get this issue resolved.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by MightyMouse1975
My valves are tapping so friggin bad, and my car was down to 2 cups of oil on the first oil change. If they don't replace my longblock I'm gonna be thouroughly pissed off..
I guess I'll just have to be there when they pull the valve covers off and inspect the cams and whatnot. I have no intentions of being screwed 120,000 miles down the line because Nissan/Infiniti went the short block cheap route...
Most people that I have seen here that have taken it in for the engine noise from low oil levels have been getting the engine replaced. That seems to be the one case that guarantees a new engine. Probably because there will undoubtably internal damage at that point. Good luck with it.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 AM
bofa

This needs to be placed back in the main 350Z forum and made a sticky. It's not a modification and seems to be a big issue for REVUP 6MT.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
bofa

After two days of no calls from the regional guy and another two days of phone tag I finally got a hold of him and he tells me prety much the same stuff.. still working on a fix, no resolution yet, no eta at all. I asked him about a buyback and he told me Nissan is not offering this. So I confirmed that I'm pretty much supposed to deal with running out of oil every 1000 miles and driving a potentially dangerous car until they figure it out... he says he wasn't putting it that way, but essentially, yeah.

So, we'll see what kind of lemonaide I can squeeze out of this.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:29 PM
arejohn

Have you checked your state's lemon laws? They are printed in the owners manual package. Most states require that the car be fixed withing a specified time and/or number of service visits. I suspect a service visit requires paper documentation and phone calls don't count. Why not go back to the dealer every thousand miles or every time it's a quart low until it gets fixed or the car declaired a lemon. Repeat visits are a pain in the butt but *****in here ain't gonna get it done.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
bofa

Not b!tching, just sharing m experience so others know what to expect.

Have you read any of this forum up until now?

Also, FL has a three-attempt requirement which I've surpassed so it qualifies.. it's just a matter of how bad I will get screwed by the value vs. the payoff not to mention the cost of getting into another car.

It's a new car, I shouldn't have to stop by the dealer to replace 4 qts every thousand miles. If I wanted a car with questionable reliability and high maintenance I would have bought a used car on eBay without inspecting it and hoping for the best.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by arejohn
... Why not go back to the dealer every thousand miles or every time it's a quart low until it gets fixed or the car declaired a lemon.
That is what nearly every single one of us is doing here. Most lemon laws are not too friendly for the person that got the lemon. Most of us would rather have the defect fixed.

Originally Posted by arejohn
Repeat visits are a pain in the butt but *****in here ain't gonna get it done.
We are reporting on our experiences here. If it were not for this site, many of us may not have even noticed how widespread this issue is. This gives us more power to go after Nissan with others experiencing the same thing. We can also see what works for someone else when dealing with these cheating, lying and despicable dealerships. The "b!tching" that is done here is nothing compared to what I put Nissan and the dealership through.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by dbasal
That is what nearly every single one of us is doing here. Most lemon laws are not too friendly for the person that got the lemon. Most of us would rather have the defect fixed.

We are reporting on our experiences here. If it were not for this site, many of us may not have even noticed how widespread this issue is. This gives us more power to go after Nissan with others experiencing the same thing. We can also see what works for someone else when dealing with these cheating, lying and despicable dealerships. The "b!tching" that is done here is nothing compared to what I put Nissan and the dealership through.
+1. I think that its B.S. that Nissan still hasnt found a fix. Pretend your Nissan. First of all, if you modified an existing engine (non-revup), and created a newer version(revup), wouldnt you do some testing and R/D before you sell it to the public?? If you did perform tests, then you would realize that there is a consumption problem. But fixing the problem is costly, so they just went ahead and released the new engine. But now that so many people own the car, fixing the problem is even more costly, so they are just avoiding it, which is wrong, and it pisses the hell out of me. I think that if there was a cheap fix, such as reprogramming the valve timing, they would have done it. It must be a costly fix, since they are trying to avoid it. Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by aren21
+1. I think that its B.S. that Nissan still hasnt found a fix. Pretend your Nissan. First of all, if you modified an existing engine (non-revup), and created a newer version(revup), wouldnt you do some testing and R/D before you sell it to the public?? If you did perform tests, then you would realize that there is a consumption problem. But fixing the problem is costly, so they just went ahead and released the new engine. But now that so many people own the car, fixing the problem is even more costly, so they are just avoiding it, which is wrong, and it pisses the hell out of me. I think that if there was a cheap fix, such as reprogramming the valve timing, they would have done it. It must be a costly fix, since they are trying to avoid it. Thats just my 2 cents.
I agree. Remember though, Nissan has a track record going back to the 03s. Seems like they learned nothing. The thing that upsets me is the lemon law. There should be no penalty for the amount that you have driven the car. If there is a defect, which I believe every single rev-up has, then there should be full replacement value or full refund. None of this deduction based on use junk. You should never come out on the losing end when your car is a lemon, such as ours are. I am thinking of ways to go more public with this issue, but it needs to be something that will really force Nissan's hand and get them to do the right thing.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 AM
jjwalker

Just curious if anyone with a 2006.5 has had this oil consumption problem? I have around 1400 miles now and my oil has been inbetween H and L on the dipstick since new no problems so far. Did not baby it during break-in.

My car: born date Oct 2006, bought Jan 07.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:44 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Just curious if anyone with a 2006.5 has had this oil consumption problem? I have around 1400 miles now and my oil has been inbetween H and L on the dipstick since new no problems so far. Did not baby it during break-in.

My car: born date Oct 2006, bought Jan 07.
Since during break in you will lose oil, you will probably have to wait until the first "real" oil change. For me, that was at 4000 miles and the car was out of oil (4 qts down, not quite out) at 7000 miles. After every oil change, I would also check closely to make sure it is full. Sometimes these dealers don't put enough in, which would cause further issues. Beyond that, I generally check once a week at the level.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion