Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:02 PM
ZPHILE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined John (aka AntennaHead) on the just put my Z in for engine replacement. Happend today. Will keep all posted of all the high-jinks that I expect! BTW - waiting for a call back from the missing Serv. Mgr to get the engine part #. Just want to make sure they're not just putting in a regular engine.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:26 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Just joined John (aka AntennaHead) on the just put my Z in for engine replacement. Happend today. Will keep all posted of all the high-jinks that I expect! BTW - waiting for a call back from the missing Serv. Mgr to get the engine part #. Just want to make sure they're not just putting in a regular engine.
Got my car back today at lunch. Service advisor said they actually finished it by close of business yesterday. He had the mechanic that handles the project drive it home to make sure it was ok. I wish I had known that, kinda wanted to break it in right from the start. I guess for a crated swap it is possible to do this correctly in 9 hours.

Anyway, I drove the car for 3 1/2 hours after I picked it up, all around town/no freeway driving. I put 35 miles on it and made sure I loaded the engine........ would drop the RPMs down to about 1800 then acclerate to 4000RPMs, then coast back down to about 2500 and drive a little bit. Did this in
2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear for the afternoon. No WOT, but every now and then would punch it pretty good.............. never topping 4000 RPM. I know there is a wide opinion on break in methods. Hopefully this loaded the engine as some of the more extreme methods recommend, and by observing the 4000 RPM recommended by Nissan, got the rings to seat correctly. After work, 2 hours later, did the same thing again and ended up with 80 miles of my own on the car. I have no idea how many miles the mechanic drove last night. I assume he went home and back in the morning.

Everything seems fine, with the exception that 5th gear has now moved a little to the left. I used to leave 4th and be able to go up and over to the right all the way and up to 5th. Now if I do that the transmission won't engage, it hits solid. I have to go up and only part the way over to 5th. No biggie I guess, and I have already adjusted to it, but I liked it the way it was.

Finally, went over the car tonight with a quick detailer to make sure it was not nicked or damaged. The finish is fine, but they scratched my headlights, more like a bunch of granular looking minute indentations. Fender protector or something had abrasive on it maybe, or who knows. I am pretty sure I can buff it out with Meguires plastic polish and the porter cable. I know, I should take it back, but trust me, I am better off doing it right myself than letting them mess with it. I will be checking the oil regularly now and will update everyone on the condition

John
ps: as others have noticed the engine did seem noticibly smoother, not sure if it is actually the engine or if the car, having 13,000 miles on it, is already broken in compared to the original engine. I do think it is smoother though. I can say that the annoying low RPM "pinging" everyone has experienced (that metallic, bunch of marbles in a tin can sound)was NON existant today, even with me loading the engine and pulling from 1800 RPM over and over..that's a good sign.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
antennahead

Oh, one more thing .................. would you guys change out the oil in another 100 miles or so to get rid of any impurities/metal shavings...etc., that might be in the engine from break-in, or just follow the recommendation of "it's not needed" and change it at 3500 miles. Thanks.

John
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by antennahead
Oh, one more thing .................. would you guys change out the oil in another 100 miles or so to get rid of any impurities/metal shavings...etc., that might be in the engine from break-in, or just follow the recommendation of "it's not needed" and change it at 3500 miles. Thanks.

John
I had it changed out at about 1500 miles to take care of that possibility.

That was the recommendation of the service manager.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by dbasal
I had it changed out at about 1500 miles to take care of that possibility.

That was the recommendation of the service manager.
when you changed it did you go synthetic? or stay with conventional?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 PM
ZPHILE

Got my car back today at lunch. Service advisor said they actually finished it by close of business yesterday. He had the mechanic that handles the project drive it home to make sure it was ok. I wish I had known that, kinda wanted to break it in right from the start. I guess for a crated swap it is possible to do this correctly in 9 hours.
Got my confirmation - engine part = 10102-AC7MZ = V2. John, didn't you just put your car in on Monday??? One day swap?!?! Hope you get no oil consumption for sure. Also, DBasal - any consumption updates? Better or worse - leveled off at.....? Putting in my car today, they told me to expect it by the end of this week. BTW - got a Pathfinder ala the dealer/Enterprise. It's O.k. - it squeaks. I miss the ZR!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM
ZPHILE

John
I'll be going for 100mi just to be overly cautious. The break in proc. you described and other have used and what from what I read sounds - well, sound. I'm planning on using it myself.

H.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
antennahead

Got my confirmation - engine part = 10102-AC7MZ = V2. John, didn't you just put your car in on Monday??? One day swap?!?! Hope you get no oil consumption for sure. Also, DBasal - any consumption updates? Better or worse - leveled off at.....? Putting in my car today, they told me to expect it by the end of this week. BTW - got a Pathfinder ala the dealer/Enterprise. It's O.k. - it squeaks. I miss the ZR!
I dropped it off at 8:00 am Monday, they were finished by 6:00 that evening. the mechanic who did the work recently moved here from Nashville, where he worked for Infiniti. According to the head mechanic, this guy had done about 5 swaps on G35s for this issue in the last few months prior to moving here. So I guess if they dedicate a team and someone who knows what they are doing, it can be done in an all day session.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 AM
ZLOC06

Default Add me to the engine swap!!

Well folks, I dropped off my Z yesterday evening for the engine swap. Kinda bitter sweet, I love the Z, but wanted Nissan to buy it back so I can get the G37. In any case, I'm anxious to see how this new engine responds. For all our sake, I hope it works fine, with no loss in HP (as that would then be false advertisement). I spoke to the mechanic who'll be doing my engine swap, and Il know he'll treat my Z with the utmost care, but still I hate to leave it at the dealer b/c you just never know He said he would be done for sure Thursday morning, so I'll add updates on how things are going like the rest of you folks. I wanted to say thanks again to all who have posted here, the information has been great, although this problem sucks
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 AM
marathonhunter

ps: as others have noticed the engine did seem noticibly smoother, not sure if it is actually the engine or if the car, having 13,000 miles on it, is already broken in compared to the original engine. I do think it is smoother though. I can say that the annoying low RPM "pinging" everyone has experienced (that metallic, bunch of marbles in a tin can sound)was NON existant today, even with me loading the engine and pulling from 1800 RPM over and over..that's a good sign.[/QUOTE]

My Rev1 engine had rpm pings everytime I hit the gas pedal. It was annoying. My new rev2 engine has it faintly, and only sometimes when I hit the gas. If you start your car in 3rd gear you will definetly heard it. Thats how I demonstrated it to the head mechanic with the first engine. And with the Rev1 engine it only started pinging when the engine was warmed up.

The head mechanic said it was due to gas octane. But my case was I've tried every 91 octane station in Calif. and it still pings. Now this Rev2 engine pings very faintly so I can live with that, but if it gets louder I'm going to call the BBB.

The Rev2 engine is a lot smoother.

Has anyone dynotech their engine to see if it is faster or slower?

thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
when you changed it did you go synthetic? or stay with conventional?
Conventional. I am still conventional actually.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 AM
dbasal

I have driven it very little actually. I've been working from home lately. It has about 300 miles since I went in and at last check it has not budged.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
OahuGrownZ

Has everyone whos taken in their Z due to oil consumption recieved a new V2 motor? Reason I ask, coworker of mine has an 05 G35, and from what he told me, they replaced his pistons rods and rings. This seemed kinda screwed up to me, but its his car and his call. I woulda personally raised hell. Well hes due for an oil check at the dealership at 1k miles, so we'll see.

On a sadder note, after reading this thread I decided to start checking my oil ... my poor Z is eating oil like candy, marker was midway between H/L first time I checked, a month later I was below the L marker. Put a quart into the car, <1k miles later and I was back down to the L marker. Heading in next week to start my oil consumption test at the dealer. <Sigh>
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
ZPHILE

I dropped it off at 8:00 am Monday, they were finished by 6:00 that evening. the mechanic who did the work recently moved here from Nashville, where he worked for Infiniti. According to the head mechanic, this guy had done about 5 swaps on G35s for this issue in the last few months prior to moving here. So I guess if they dedicate a team and someone who knows what they are doing, it can be done in an all day session.

Should have got mine done in CHARLESTON!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
antennahead

Should have got mine done in CHARLESTON!
The new engine is definitely smoother, and feels stronger as well. Now if it just doesn't use oil..............

John
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by dbasal
I have driven it very little actually. I've been working from home lately. It has about 300 miles since I went in and at last check it has not budged.

Thanks for the update!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
ZPHILE

The new engine is definitely smoother, and feels stronger as well. Now if it just doesn't use oil..............

John

Kool. Now, get in it and DRIVE it!!!! (keep us updated!)
Old 08-15-2007, 06:30 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by OahuGrownZ
Has everyone whos taken in their Z due to oil consumption recieved a new V2 motor? Reason I ask, coworker of mine has an 05 G35, and from what he told me, they replaced his pistons rods and rings. This seemed kinda screwed up to me, but its his car and his call. I woulda personally raised hell. Well hes due for an oil check at the dealership at 1k miles, so we'll see.

On a sadder note, after reading this thread I decided to start checking my oil ... my poor Z is eating oil like candy, marker was midway between H/L first time I checked, a month later I was below the L marker. Put a quart into the car, <1k miles later and I was back down to the L marker. Heading in next week to start my oil consumption test at the dealer. <Sigh>
I think anyone that really is firm and follows what needs to be done in order to go to the final repair attempt process would receive it. I'm not sure how they are handling things now that they have admitted the problem and have a solution they feel fixes the issue.

I had to go through a lot of crap just to get mine. Should be a lot easier now. Good luck to you. You experiences pretty much are mirror images of what most of us here have gone through.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 PM
antennahead

Kool. Now, get in it and DRIVE it!!!! (keep us updated!)
smiles, I have been, see my break-in method
Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
ZLOC06

can anyone who has had their engine replaced tell me if they (the dealer) reset the odometer back to zero??

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion