Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm giving Nissan the chance to rectify it and to set precedence for you guys to get results too. If I get hosed, I will go through the media, both local and national. I'm playing nice this round but I assure you it will get much worse if I'm not satisfied with the outcome.

BTW, as a second step in working with the BBB, I sent Nissan their official lemon law notification today and they will get it tomorrow. They have 10 days to contact me and to resolve it before the BBB intervenes. Countdown starts tomorrow.

For you guys not checking your own oil level, please do yourself a favor and check it prior to dropping it off. I know it's a pain but you've got to make sure you know what's going on with your ride.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
I'm giving Nissan the chance to rectify it and to set precedence for you guys to get results too. If I get hosed, I will go through the media, both local and national. I'm playing nice this round but I assure you it will get much worse if I'm not satisfied with the outcome.

BTW, as a second step in working with the BBB, I sent Nissan their official lemon law notification today and they will get it tomorrow. They have 10 days to contact me and to resolve it before the BBB intervenes. Countdown starts tomorrow.

For you guys not checking your own oil level, please do yourself a favor and check it prior to dropping it off. I know it's a pain but you've got to make sure you know what's going on with your ride.
It will be interesting to see what they say they will do given the notice of final attempt. If they do not have a solution, then there is not much they can do. If they are confident they will find a solution, then they will probably replace the engine and buy themselves some more time. If they feel that the problem is not fixable, then they probably won't bother. It will be interesting to see. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75
Yep i have an 06. Couldnt get a reading on my dip stick,... added a quart. (still no reading, thought my dip stick was just messed up.) Then when it was time for an oil change only like 2.5 quarts at most came out of my engine. Took it to Reid Nissan in Orlando and they began the oil consumption test. Basically all they did was put a mark on my oil plug and filter and told me to come back in like 4000 miles. We will see in a few months if I get a free engine??
I think that is better than these 1000 mile check-backs (is that even a word?). Of course, it could be bad too. There is a possibility of being out of oil before you get to 4000 miles though, which is the downside. Good luck to you and welcome to the club nobody wants to be part of.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
bofa

I will not agree to letting them just replace the engine without an explanation of what the "fix" was and showing me that it has been tested and documented.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by dbasal
I always check it before I go so I know exactly what the reading is. I usually make sure it is first thing in the morning before going to the dealer or I let it cool. I have also started checking while the engine is cooling at the dealership. I just don't trust anyone, but that is just me.

thats the thing i do check, and when i went in for my last one i read the dipstick to be below the L...and they told me it was fine...on top of that the dumb asses put conventional when i told them to use the mobil1 syn i brought...i get in my car and the oil is still in there service manager forgot to tell the guy chging it...so i had to wait another half hour to get it done...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
thats the thing i do check, and when i went in for my last one i read the dipstick to be below the L...and they told me it was fine...on top of that the dumb asses put conventional when i told them to use the mobil1 syn i brought...i get in my car and the oil is still in there service manager forgot to tell the guy chging it...so i had to wait another half hour to get it done...
You know, the sad part is that none of that shocks me, but it should. One suggestion I would make for documentation purposes is to take photos of the dipstick showing where the oil is reading before going to the dealership. May not get you very far, but it can not hurt if you can not trust the dealer.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 AM
bofa

^just switch dealers.. there are plenty in CA.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
m3nthol

does anyone know what the normal (standard) oil consumption is?

how many qts from the oil dipstick "L" to "H" mark?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by m3nthol
does anyone know what the normal (standard) oil consumption is?

how many qts from the oil dipstick "L" to "H" mark?
Very subjective honestly. It also depends on if you take the car to the track and what mods you have. yadda yadda yadda.

This is my opinion, but between the recommended mileage/time the maufacturer gives for oil changes, the oil consumption should be 0.

This is the first car I have ever owned that has consumed any oil in that time interval.

1 qt from "L" to "H" supposedly.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
bofa

I've always driven my cars hard.. even an old 89 Isuzu I-mark that was my one of my first cars... and this is the only one to consume oil.

BTW, I got a letter from Nissan today saying they want to send a tech for an inspection and a final repair attempt, but they're waiting to hear on his availability. I'm going to be pissed if they even try to waste my time with a straight replacement. There's no way in hell.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by dbasal
You know, the sad part is that none of that shocks me, but it should. One suggestion I would make for documentation purposes is to take photos of the dipstick showing where the oil is reading before going to the dealership. May not get you very far, but it can not hurt if you can not trust the dealer.
hmm never thought of that, ill probably do that....idk why theyd try to mess with me though...my uncle is their boss...but they did try with the financing so i wouldnt be surprised....i think ill start asking to watch and get more details on how much oil was drained and what not
Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 PM
98sr20ve

I'm going to be pissed if they even try to waste my time with a straight replacement. There's no way in hell.
What do you mean?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
dbasal

I've always driven my cars hard.. even an old 89 Isuzu I-mark that was my one of my first cars... and this is the only one to consume oil.

BTW, I got a letter from Nissan today saying they want to send a tech for an inspection and a final repair attempt, but they're waiting to hear on his availability. I'm going to be pissed if they even try to waste my time with a straight replacement. There's no way in hell.
It's amazing how quickly a manufacturer will resort to the "within spec" BS.

Good to hear something is starting to happen. There is no way with your issues that you will not get action. I agree that engine replacement would not be a good solution.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
What do you mean?
They've still yet to identify the problem (without a doubt)...

So replacing the engine = new break-in + more 1000 mi intervals + more trips to the dealer = wasting my time until there is a real fix.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 PM
dbasal

They've still yet to identify the problem (without a doubt)...

So replacing the engine = new break-in + more 1000 mi intervals + more trips to the dealer = wasting my time until there is a real fix.
and the more miles put on the car, the more you lose even with the lemon law.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
bofa

Yup.. I actually plan to fight to discount the miles done for testing.. the car was originally a garage queen. I hardly ever drove it to work after break-in and usually carpooled. I only added so many miles to get through the intervals. Not sure it will fly, but I plan to pursue it.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:00 AM
wizardofoz

Sounds like they're stalling ya Bofa! What's the bet they drop either one of the following 'solutions' on ya : a) Withing specifications, b) PCV c) Change your Driving Style or e) Change engine
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
dbasal

Yup.. I actually plan to fight to discount the miles done for testing.. the car was originally a garage queen. I hardly ever drove it to work after break-in and usually carpooled. I only added so many miles to get through the intervals. Not sure it will fly, but I plan to pursue it.
Actually as I am reading along on the FL Lemon Law, to which I have become way to intimate with, it appears that you should have no problem not losing money if you were to really press them. You can offset that by charging them for collateral or incidental costs. Should come out even. I am still, however, not 100% clear on the replacement law. It seems that there is not as much of a loss going that route. Hard to say though. Either way, it appears I will be joining you shortly. Since my last dealer lied on the amount of oil loss, I am getting some more documentation to support my claim.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this only effects the Altama with the 2.5L engine but take a look at this.

http://www.automotive.com/2006/49/ni...lls/22374.html
Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by turbotoy
I know this only effects the Altama with the 2.5L engine but take a look at this.

http://www.automotive.com/2006/49/ni...lls/22374.html
Nissan has several vehicles with oil consumption problems. I believe the Titan also had some issues. That means that the 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines all have issues when it comes to this. Sounds like the designers need to be given the axe.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion