Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 500 miles on my NEW engine and the oil has already dropped to halfway mark on the dipstick. This is beyond ridiculous even for a new engine (which generally consumes more oil than one that's broken in). The car is now being stored for winter but the day it comes out, I am taking it in so they can record the reading. It was verified as being full when engine was replaced of course, so I don't see why they would need to start an OCT all over again.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by usmanasif
I have 500 miles on my NEW engine and the oil has already dropped to halfway mark on the dipstick. This is beyond ridiculous even for a new engine (which generally consumes more oil than one that's broken in). The car is now being stored for winter but the day it comes out, I am taking it in so they can record the reading. It was verified as being full when engine was replaced of course, so I don't see why they would need to start an OCT all over again.
That's no good!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 AM
06CPV35

My replacement consumed in the beginning (was a fail on TSB chart), but got better (finally became 'ok' on chart) after each oil change (I did a few OCI's before the 3750 mark).
Weirdest thing some replacements do this a lot at the start, while have read some don't or not very much....
Old 12-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Nismospeed4life

^^ I like it better when you are not a fly on the wall!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Give your engine time to break in. Mine consumed also for a while but it tapered off after about 3k miles.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I beat on my replacement after 500 miles.... I mean I beat on it...

now even supercharged it does not burn a drop. My idea is... to seat the piston rings properly they must get hot as possible. When I was at 499 miles I was in 3rd gear running 60mph...once 500 showed up I floored it and havent looked back. I beat on the car for a good tank, tank and a half in one day....all back roads with many 2nd the 3rd gear downshifts... the car runs as it should now...

Nissan recommended break in FTL!

good luck all, I know the feeling... I felt like I had a 40K piece of crap G35. Now shes a member of the family again, she even got Christmas presents this year... A set of Strup Headers...lol

my two cents.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 AM
06CPV35

^ Good to hear yours is still a winner with no OC and SC'd...very nice. Something I've wanted to do almost day one with my G. I romped during my last oil duration and my OC increased to border-line 'fail' on TSB chart

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
^^ I like it better when you are not a fly on the wall!
^ lol...
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Give your engine time to break in. Mine consumed also for a while but it tapered off after about 3k miles.
How's your OC now...if any?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 AM
rickosae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  myoilloss.png
Views: 56
Size:  209.1 KB

How long for my new V2 engine to break in and stop lossing oil? It has about 5500mi on it and the third oil change shows no improvement so far.

Last edited by rickosae; 12-28-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: trying to get picture to show
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
I beat on my replacement after 500 miles.... I mean I beat on it...

now even supercharged it does not burn a drop. My idea is... to seat the piston rings properly they must get hot as possible. When I was at 499 miles I was in 3rd gear running 60mph...once 500 showed up I floored it and havent looked back. I beat on the car for a good tank, tank and a half in one day....all back roads with many 2nd the 3rd gear downshifts... the car runs as it should now...

Nissan recommended break in FTL!

good luck all, I know the feeling... I felt like I had a 40K piece of crap G35. Now shes a member of the family again, she even got Christmas presents this year... A set of Strup Headers...lol

my two cents.
I have been taking it easy for the first 2000 miles. We are having a Dyno day here in my area and I am thinking of having them to do 3 pulls on it. What do you think?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
LONEWOLFO1

Well guys you scared me enough to cancel my order on the car I drive way to much to deal with this.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by rickosae

How long for my new V2 engine to break in and stop lossing oil? It has about 5500mi on it and the third oil change shows no improvement so far.
Mine got progressively worse through 3 oil changes, up to about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 quarts, then number 4 was at 1 quart even. I am do an oil change now, and it is worse again, barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. Piece of ****!

John
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Nismospeed4life

^^ Sorry to hear that man!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
LONEWOLFO1

i drive up and down the eastern seaboard I just don't have the time to deal with this I may just wait 7 months and get a used 07 or a g35. I would like to thank you guys for the information you saved me thousands!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by LONEWOLFO1
i drive up and down the eastern seaboard I just don't have the time to deal with this I may just wait 7 months and get a used 07 or a g35. I would like to thank you guys for the information you saved me thousands!!!!
This is only on 05 and 06 Revved up engines. Not to exclude G35's (Manual) 07's will be a safe bid.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Darwizel

Hey guys, this has to be the longest thred ever but really good info. I was at the dealership today to try to get an oil consumption test and they said that my aftermarket pulleys and plenum spacers is a no no and nissan will not approve a new engine cause of that. Is that true? Has someone got the same mods as me, and still passed for a new engine? Oh and do you really need to show receipts for the past oil changes you've had?..cause i dont have most of mines. I would really appretiate some answers if any of you guys have been in this situation. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM
06CPV35

^ Have read on many OC threads combined, some owners with mods got hassled while some not at all. Depends on dealer as mod friendly y/n.

Google 'Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act' and and decide if worth mentioning and/or worth going down that legal can-of-worms path if they still want to hassle you. Or go to a different dealer...or de-mod...

Reciepts...had all mine so can't help you there.

TSB doesn't cover your year (2004) with your non-revup VQ, so don't expect them to follow TSB guidelines like with us revup VQ owners, but who knows they might.

Hopefully members in your actual situation will chime in, but that's my .02 from what I've read over the years about this.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 12-29-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added about de-modding
Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Darwizel

Im gonna check other dealerships before i do anything else. So they also asked for youre oil change receipts huh. Thats what i really need so to prove to them that i was really consistent on my oil changes and my biggest mistake was not saving them. If i can just find someone with oil purchase receipts that they will let me borrow in so cal, i would really apretiate it and of course with a generouse tip. I rather pay a lil for some peices of receipts then be paying thousands for a new lower engine.. Im seriouse.

Last edited by Darwizel; 12-29-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
06CPV35

I have been taking it easy for the first 2000 miles. We are having a Dyno day here in my area and I am thinking of having them to do 3 pulls on it. What do you think?
Some V2's sucessful with early pounding, some not. Some sucessful with taking it easy at first, some not. Some sucessful taking it easy then romping later, some not. Crap-shoot. Your call bro...
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

every light that I am the first car is a dyno day for me....

run the car bro...its a freggin sports car. why not? Thats my mentality. I didnt buy a 40K sled to drive slow. I bang the limiter daily! Even under boost...

drifting every left had turn I can... it bangs the limiter all the time!

Since mine blew up NA... I am ready for it to blow FI

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Some V2's sucessful with early pounding, some not. Some sucessful with taking it easy at first, some not. Some sucessful taking it easy then romping later, some not. Crap-shoot. Your call bro...
yeah I was like, they will buy me a new motor every 10K miles with the pounding I put on a block, until they get it right!

FYI I was told that my motor was a handbuilt engine from Japan. I did see the shipping invoice and the shipping cost was rediculous. Most engines that are not working are made in the good old state of New Mexico. Ask your dealers where the motor came from. Infiniti of Chantilly doesnt mess around, it took 4 weeks to get the motor (drove the then new G35X while I waited), but it was strong from the first mile I drove it. The car put down 406RWHP @8psi on a dyna pack dyno and runs with a G35 APSTT that put down 369 on a dyno dynamics @9psi. I think its becaue the motor was built right with less forgiveness in the tolerences.

it sucks, but all this time you spend driving like a granny, buy the time you are on your 3rd motor its 2 years down the road and you still dont know the limits of your car. Screw that, if it burns oil, go get a new motor.... but the time you spend with it should be enjoyable.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 12-29-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
How's your OC now...if any?
After 20k miles on the v2, last oil change was 7k miles ago (yeah i know) on Mobile1 Synth 5w30.

Half a quart low (between H and L marks) before I changed the oil.

I would say that's in line with what I would be expecting from a DD sport car that's occasionally driven hard.

Broken in using Nissan OEM oil until 1700 miles (again, I know- nice seeing all the little bits of metal in the oil) using Nissan guidelines under 4500rpm never WOT. After 1600/1700 drove it normal.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion