Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to be a fly on the wall for awhile here and in other OC threads. Other more important things in life to contend with. I'll post an update on how my OC is doing mid duration or end of my 5K interval currently using 5w-30 SynPower....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE
Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
rickosae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by antennahead
Jus checked my oil, unfortunately it has increased again. Last oil change I used right at one quart. I have 3500 miles on this oil change, and I registered right at the lower side of the "L" on the dipstick. That would be approximately 1 1/4 quarts in 3500 miles. I don't know if I want to go through the hassel of trying to force a buyback. Maybe I will, right now I am just bummed out at the whole experience. Looks like I will be looking hard at the Genesis coupe in a few months. I am tired of this crap. Thanks to all of you here for the info and support. I will continue to post and report what the dealer has to say when I take it in to get the oil changed. I am going in armed with the TSB and consumption chart, as well as the information off the lemon law page. Good luck to all of you. I think this engine is screwed no matter what, and Nissan is just trying to manage the losses, knowing they pushed it too far, hence over 80% new internals in the 2007 engine.

John

I getting close to your situation, on my third tranny and second engine but the trend on this one (V2) is getting worse. Unfortunetly I am in PA not CA where I think the lemon law is better. I might be able to nail them on 3 tranny's but this one is OK for now.

Is it worth just simply writting NNA ans explianing to them how replacing engines is simply costing them and a buyback may be cheaper for them in the long run?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "v.2" is exactly the same engine that came OEM in the revups from the factory. I don't know who coined the term "v.2", or who claimed there were significant differences in the engine build/ring assembly, but there is none. I don't care what the part numbers say, it's the same engine.

This is my opinion, of course, and others may adamently disagree. But opinions are like a-holes...u know the rest. I also work at an Infiniti dealership btw.

Also, every engine consumes oil. Overconsumption can be caused by a number of things. IMO, driving style (beating on the car, high rpm shifts, engine braking, improper engine break-in) is the #1 cause of OC on the VQ.

This is why some who have had their engine replaced per the TSB, still experience OC. Same engine, same driving style.

My .002.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 12-15-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
The "v.2" is exactly the same engine that came OEM in the revups from the factory.
just rings.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Going to be a fly on the wall for awhile here and in other OC threads. Other more important things in life to contend with. I'll post an update on how my OC is doing mid duration or end of my 5K interval currently using 5w-30 SynPower....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE
Well deserved... Take care J!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
^^ Thanks for the guarantee there Curtis! However, your word is Gold with me. So, based on that I will go with Dyson. (Unless you are a Dyson spokesman) Just kidding... However, I do know exactly what you guys mean on holding on mods before you know wether she (The Z) would ever stop bleeding.

Curtis, Idont know wether you read one of my previous post in wich I mention about how my OC is going this time around. I was wondering to know if is looking better due to the fact that I am still in the break-in period. My V2 has now 1,455 miles and it has only consumed 3MM as supposed to 12MM at 1000 miles with the V1.

What do you think?
I think John answered it the same way I would have. On the same note, take a look at my OC on the first page Stats chart. I had 10mm OC on 4380 miles on the engine. At that point I took it to Terry Dyson for consultation and the results show for themselves. Granted my brother drove it like grandpa, never over 4k rpm, and he engine braked (not that I would, but who am I am to tell him how to drive his car). He was given the word on this last OCI at 15k mi to start romping on it at a steady upward on the rpm up to 75% of redline, which would be 5200 rpm max. The rings and pistons need to start seating and sealing, hence the romping. It’s been said that these rev-up's take longer to break-in. And for a complete seal for longevity of the engine it can take upwards of 15-18k miles. It goes back to the condition of the engine during this break-in, a lot to take into consideration. A UOA is like getting blood work done, they can see so much from some blood work (a UOA). Or they can do an exploratory search and bust open your chest and poke around (which no dealer is gonna do a tear down). I prefer the former.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by antennahead
Jus checked my oil, unfortunately it has increased again. Last oil change I used right at one quart. I have 3500 miles on this oil change, and I registered right at the lower side of the "L" on the dipstick. That would be approximately 1 1/4 quarts in 3500 miles. I don't know if I want to go through the hassel of trying to force a buyback. Maybe I will, right now I am just bummed out at the whole experience. Looks like I will be looking hard at the Genesis coupe in a few months. I am tired of this crap. Thanks to all of you here for the info and support. I will continue to post and report what the dealer has to say when I take it in to get the oil changed. I am going in armed with the TSB and consumption chart, as well as the information off the lemon law page. Good luck to all of you. I think this engine is screwed no matter what, and Nissan is just trying to manage the losses, knowing they pushed it too far, hence over 80% new internals in the 2007 engine.

John
Ouch....sorry to hear that John. It was looking so good. I understand your frustration and if the day comes for me when I have given up and if the engine fails for me. I am not hesitating....it will be a replacement for me with a 2010. I will hold out and have them replace it again, until there are no more 08 or 09's available and then sock it to em with a forced replacement of the current available model...hence the 2010. I am really starting to feel like these freshly built engines are gonna fail sooner or later. You do not hear me saying this often, but there it is. DBasil had about 15-18k miles on his when it failed, and he had a buy back. I am thinking that is the magic number, and that if someone can get by the 20k mark with very little OC, it may just last the lifetime. Mine has lasted this only to the tune of Terry Dyson of www.dysonanalysis.com GL and keep us posted.

Happy Holiday everyone!

Cheers
Curtis
Old 12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Jdmtight975

just picked up my z with the v.2 today..wish me luck..
Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Jdmtight975
just picked up my z with the v.2 today..wish me luck..
Good luck brother!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 AM
tee

Have anyone done a buy-back or lemon law on 06, 350Z in FL?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Just started my consumption test today.

Anyone else get told not to rev over 4K and no full throttle? This could get very lame for 1200 miles.

And another thing, they told me not to touch the oil drain plug or oil cap in the engine bay and they are marked... the oil cap is defiantly not marked in any way i can tell.

And a final question, is there any way to track whether the car experienced full throttle or above 4K RPMS. I know the GTR has a black box but im pretty sure the Zs dont have anything that records those parameters.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Reading the TSB again and it doesnt say anywhere not to rev over 4k and no full throttle unless engine was replaced. I seriously dont think they replaced my engine in an hour.

This is starting to look sketchy.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Chaser720
Reading the TSB again and it doesnt say anywhere not to rev over 4k and no full throttle unless engine was replaced. I seriously dont think they replaced my engine in an hour.

I dont believe that it is humanly possible to do an engine swap in one hour. However, it is doable in a days time. It took my dealer 7 days to do mine.

I finish my 1200 break in initial period. However, this engines do take a bit longer to break, so I am taking it easy for the next 3000 miles.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:15 AM
06CPV35

Just started my consumption test today.

Anyone else get told not to rev over 4K and no full throttle? This could get very lame for 1200 miles.

And another thing, they told me not to touch the oil drain plug or oil cap in the engine bay and they are marked... the oil cap is defiantly not marked in any way i can tell.

And a final question, is there any way to track whether the car experienced full throttle or above 4K RPMS. I know the GTR has a black box but im pretty sure the Zs dont have anything that records those parameters.
Starting consumption test doesn't mean engine was replaced.

Using 'factory break-in' method during OC testing is not required with old VQ burner in service.

Marking plug and fill cap is common during OC testing. Some even get their dip stick tied down too. Some none of the former mentioned. Depends on dealer.

'Black box' doubt it. Don't recall hearing Z's or G's getting called out with those.

Agree. You have no V2 in there yet. Your only the beginnings of testing to maybe qualify for one...

G/L

(Now going back again as a fly on the wall...)

Last edited by 06CPV35; 12-19-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: back being a fly on the wall...
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

(Now going back again as a fly on the wall...)
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Thanks for the info. Yeah i assumed they either couldn't read the TSB (saw break in period and didnt bother to read what about) or are just trying to save their own asses by having me not drive the car hard so i wont consume as much.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
ZeeForce

Long freeway drives (like a 500 mile trip) will consume more oil. Even though they(the dealer) tells you to come back in 1k miles, if the OC reaches the failure areas on the TSB, you can take it in sooner to have it recorded and they will decide then to top it off and have you come again or get authorization to replace the engine.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Long freeway drives (like a 500 mile trip) will consume more oil. Even though they(the dealer) tells you to come back in 1k miles, if the OC reaches the failure areas on the TSB, you can take it in sooner to have it recorded and they will decide then to top it off and have you come again or get authorization to replace the engine.
In addition to that, I will personaly rev the hell out of the car. What do you have to loose?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Wheelman

Oddly enough, I took my car in a few months ago to start an oil consumption test. It wasnt burning much. I got tied up w/ school and work and didn't have time to bring it back and ended up changing the oil before I took it back to the dealer to investigate the oil consumption. Anyhow, fast forward a few months, had time to take it back to start the process over. Engine replacement got approved within 2 hours; didn't even have to drive it for a few thousand miles and take it back. They just checked my oil, noted it was low based on the last odometer reading on my oil change sticker, ran a compression test, and submitted it to nissan. The new engine is supposed to be in within a day or two, and i'll drop it off for the swap.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 PM
KnighTT

Yeah, I'm taking mine in on Monday to begin the process. I purchased it used @38k miles. Now I have her at 45k and I can tell she qualifies. It has prior modifications, so even though I know it has an OC issue, I will kind of feel better having a new engine in her and not worry about how she may have been abused before me. I really dont care if the new motor consumes a lil oil, I just want to know I have a new one under the hood.

Does any non-internal modifications disqualify you?

I run Royal Purple. APS straight pipes, APS intake plenum, and a JWT pop charger under the hood. Greddy EVO II for exhaust.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion