Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:09 PM
aren21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldnt the burning oil cause problems for the cats??
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by dbasal
You make a good point on the extra components. That oil has to be going somewhere and we all no where. They should probably be replacing everything from the cats back also.
I'd almost think the entire exhaust system since any build-up can hinder performance. Maybe replace the cats and muffler and at least clean the rest. The part that pisses me off is that it's affected my Borla exhaust likely.. I just wonder how much.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
I'd almost think the entire exhaust system since any build-up can hinder performance. Maybe replace the cats and muffler and at least clean the rest. The part that pisses me off is that it's affected my Borla exhaust likely.. I just wonder how much.
In that case, it would really **** me off too. That brings me to the solution if they actually perform a software fix. I would request them to look at the engine and see how clogged it has become. It sounds like Nissan is trying to get away with the cheapest possible solution with no concern about possible damage already done. My 2 cents.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 PM
diablo25mn

Originally Posted by dbasal
In that case, it would really **** me off too. That brings me to the solution if they actually perform a software fix. I would request them to look at the engine and see how clogged it has become. It sounds like Nissan is trying to get away with the cheapest possible solution with no concern about possible damage already done. My 2 cents.
Well they are still placing me on hold, I got a message on my Voicemail saying that nissan wants my ok to take the motor apart and investigate it. I think i know where this is headed, I think I am going to on in on Monday and try to do something about the "ok" from my end part. I'd figure that if Nissan wanted to verify the problem they'd do it from their own ok not mine. Sounds to me like they are going to try to stick the risk on me.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Originally Posted by diablo25mn
Well they are still placing me on hold, I got a message on my Voicemail saying that nissan wants my ok to take the motor apart and investigate it. I think i know where this is headed, I think I am going to on in on Monday and try to do something about the "ok" from my end part. I'd figure that if Nissan wanted to verify the problem they'd do it from their own ok not mine. Sounds to me like they are going to try to stick the risk on me.
This is what they initially wanted to do in my case and thats when I began to make calls. They wanted to take the top apart and look at valve seals and rings. My position was exactly as yours, not on my dollar. I supposidly purchased a vehicle where the engineering was already worked out. Now you are telling me you want to "explore". Not going to happen.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Originally Posted by diablo25mn
Wells its been 3 days as of today. Still no go ahead for a full engine replacement.
What have you done up to this point with corporate?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Have any of you actually written a letter to any news type services and copied Nissan? You have to then follow up with a conversation with Nissan.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
bofa

^Not much use in doing that until we've gone through the normal lemon procedures... if we get screwed, then it's time to involve the news.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:26 AM
diablo25mn

Default Update

Nissan Corp called me to confirm a long block is on order under warranty, dealership confirmed. Dealer is looking for a Friday/Saturday delivery. When i spoke to regional warranty rep he said their were about 50 cars in his area that have had similar problems, also that he knows that there is high chance that the new long block will burn oil as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Spiffyguitar

Wow... I just found this thead and discovered my engine is burning oil like crazy as well on my 2006 350z. Ugh... now I have to figure out where to go from here, and if I do take it to the dealer I need to thow in my cats.

Any suggestions from those of you that have already been through a lot of this?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I1DER

My oil consumption appears to be down to about 1 quart every 6000 miles from a high of about 1 quart every 2000 miles at the time of the 2nd oil change after being new last July. It now has 19,000 miles on it. I don't know if it's because I'm driving more conservative in the winter weather though. Anyone else with an '06 with higher than normal milage experiencing the same thing? I'll know for sure when the wet and icy roads go away.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by I1DER
My oil consumption appears to be down to about 1 quart every 6000 miles from a high of about 1 quart every 2000 miles at the time of the 2nd oil change after being new last July. It now has 19,000 miles on it. I don't know if it's because I'm driving more conservative in the winter weather though. Anyone else with an '06 with higher than normal milage experiencing the same thing? I'll know for sure when the wet and icy roads go away.
My consumption used to be 1quart every 1k miles. Last time it only used 3/4 quart in about 3,500 miles. Now its consuming a little more. I dont know why its so inconsistent. I have been using the same oil, and I drive pretty easy, but I do get on it every once in a while. BTW right now I have almost 19k miles.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:30 PM
evimero350

I think I am just screwed...I just installed a Greddy TT kit on my car last month on my 06 which I noticed is burning almost 3 qts before the usual 3k oil change...

uh I cant bring my car into the dealership, and its probably just going to mess up my turbos since its right on the exhaust huh?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM
aren21

^Thats exactly why I havent done any mods yet to the engine/exhaust. I just take off my popcharger when I take it in for oil consumption. I know they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem in order to void the warranty, but I just dont want to get hasseled.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:02 PM
evimero350

Since im already turboed and my warranty is shot to hell in my 06, I wonder if building a forged block will even be worth it anymore??? I would be changing the rings/pistons, but it will probably have teh same effect right...i am just screwed in my money over this car!!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:37 PM
diablo25mn

Originally Posted by I1DER

My car had 17,500 miles and i was getting about 24mpg city/highway in Miami,FL... so i can tell you i didn't get on it too often. Maybe went to the track twice. I thought the dipstick was reading correctly, the only way to be 100% is to take to a dealer or a local shop where you can ask them to see how much oil they drain during your oil changes to be sure. The key is to have it document by a 3rd party if not by the dealer, cause they asked me for receipts, trying to place it on me.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:04 PM
bofa

evimero, if they do a recall across the board you may still be included for engine replacement but they may charge you to uninstall and reinstall the turbo (or make you do it). Also I spoke to Sharif at Forged and he thinks replacing the motor with a built engine will remove the problem (not sure how.. but last time we talked that's what he told me).

Last edited by bofa; 03-15-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:16 PM
aren21

I think a recall is pretty unlikely considering nissans service, and their track record (remember tire feathering??). But that would be really nice if they did a recall (which they should). Does anyone have any news about the situation. I have an appt. tommarow afternoon for an oil change and start another oil consumption test. My service manager hasnt even heard of the problem on the Z.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
bofa

I'm dropping mine off on the 26th for the "final repair attempt" per the Florida lemon law. I checked as recently as yesterday and there are no fixes yet.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
aren21

Good luck on the final repair. Keep us posted dude.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion