Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
evimero, if they do a recall across the board you may still be included for engine replacement but they may charge you to uninstall and reintall the turbo (or make you do it). Also I spoke to Sharif at Forged and he thinks replacing the motor with a built engine will remove the problem (not sure how.. but last time we talked that what he told me).
I was thinking the same thing on a built engine. If that was the case, it is not an engine software management issue.

One interesting thing happened to me yesterday.
My last oil change, I switched back to conventional.
I have been watching the oil very closely looking for some pattern with the high consumption.
I also have been driving more city streets because of appointments that are taking me away from my normal route 3 times a week.
During the first 1500 miles, I was only down 1/2 qt when I checked it yesterday morning.
Yesterday, I drove about 75 miles, all just cruising at highway speeds (65-75 mph).
I am now down 3/4 qt. I lost 1/4 qt in that 75 miles. Sounds like I need to drive around the state and see what happens. Very strange for sure.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
bofa

I'm at about 1200 miles again and didn't have time to go to the dealership over the weekend. I've got knocking again, pressure doesn't go above 30 PSI... I seem to be able to empty mine consistenly.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this thread is totally disturbing. I actually read this entire thread.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-19-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
bofa

According to Nissan, this issue isn't selective and they agree that it likely affects all REVUP motors paired with 6MT. You won't hear the pinging until the level is extremely low.. usually about 0.5-1 Qt left in the engine.

Yes, the car seems to be running very rich and soot accumulates much faster than normal on the exhaust tips.

Last edited by bofa; 03-16-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 PM
aren21

According to Nissan, this issue isn't selective and they agree that it likely affects all REVUP motors paired with 6MT. You won't hear the pinging until the level is extremely low.. usually about 0.5-1 Qt left in the engine.

Yes, the car seems to be running very rich and soot accumulates much faster that normal on the exhaust tips.
My car pings/knocks all the time. I would think that it would only happen with low oil levels as you said, but it doesnt all the time. I took off my popcharger and noticed that it knocks considerably less with the stock air box. It really pisses me off how nissan ruined the vq with the revup version. I just hope they come up with a fix soon, Im sick of being paranoid about the oil level.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
arejohn

Default Drive till it knocks.

I'm at about 1200 miles again and didn't have time to go to the dealership over the weekend. I've got knocking again, pressure doesn't go above 30 PSI... I seem to be able to empty mine consistenly.
I did not realize the knock feedback indicated low oil. Is this feature new to the 300hp?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
arejohn

Why is Nissan replacing engines if it's not going to solve the problem? It ties up the customers' cars and exposes us to mechanics errors. I would rather receive a case of oil, instructions to check/add at each fillup, and commitment from NNA for a free fix when available. This check, check, check, replace, replace is just stupid and costly.

This knock you hear when down quarts of oil, is it mechanical (i.e valve tap)
or combustion? If it's combustion, why is the computer not adjusting for it.

And along with stupid and costly is what you have when you run an engine so low on oil that you get abnormal noises.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:51 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by arejohn
Why is Nissan replacing engines if it's not going to solve the problem? It ties up the customers' cars and exposes us to mechanics errors. I would rather receive a case of oil, instructions to check/add at each fillup, and commitment from NNA for a free fix when available. This check, check, check, replace, replace is just stupid and costly.

This knock you hear when down quarts of oil, is it mechanical (i.e valve tap)
or combustion? If it's combustion, why is the computer not adjusting for it.

And along with stupid and costly is what you have when you run an engine so low on oil that you get abnormal noises.
I know the knock Im getting is from combustion and not the valves, because the most I let my oil level drop is .5quart before I add more, so it can be the valves. The computer is obviously doing a crappy job at adjusting. Maybe thats why the HR has twin knock sensors.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Durden76

All, there is a theory regarding inconsistent consumption that I believe to be correct. I myself have had inconsistent readings ranging from 0.5qt/1k mi. to 1.5qt/1k mi. When the car is driven solely in rush hour traffic, it consumes very little oil. When I drive canyon roads with a lot of hard acceleration and rev-matching downshifts I consume a great deal more. I've heard the theory that the main culprit of the oil consumption is that during high RPM WOT operation the variable valve timing has some sort of flaw. I've heard terms like valve overlap and such. I'm not an engineer so I don't know the specifics but it makes sense to me since the only changes to the Rev-Up from previous models that I'm aware of are the new plenum, addition of variable valve timing to the exhaust side of the heads and a reprogrammed ECU.

Last edited by Durden76; 03-16-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:57 PM
bofa

The ticking/knocking is mechanical for me and sounds like the valves.

I wouldn't consider the engine knocking to be a "feature" but there's no extra charge.

WOT may be the case but according to the regional tech that was working on them in Tennessee the theory is that the exhaust valves were remaining open too long and allowing oil to be consumed. I drive at WOT, revmatch and shift the hell out of the car so it could be one or all.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM
dbasal

Yes, the car seems to be running very rich and soot accumulates much faster that normal on the exhaust tips.
If they realize that all Rev-up engines are defective as you mentioned as I believe to be true, then they are in for some interesting decisions. I'm sure we will never see them say this in any formal way though as it would end up in every Revup Z to be replaced or repurchased. Sad situation. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Brice-350z

I have an 06 that was built 10/06. I have 3700 miles on it doing 85% highway driving, and average around 23mpg. It has had nothing but dino oil in it, and the oil was changed at 3k miles. I have added only a 1/4 quart of Castrol GTX since I bought it to keep it full. I broke the car in by driving it somewhat conservative, but did get on it a couple times before 1200 miles had past. So, as of right now mine is doing well. Sorry to hear about all of those that are having issues.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM
aren21

Originally Posted by Brice-350z
I have an 06 that was built 10/06. I have 3700 miles on it doing 85% highway driving, and average around 23mpg. It has had nothing but dino oil in it, and the oil was changed at 3k miles. I have added only a 1/4 quart of Castrol GTX since I bought it to keep it full. I broke the car in by driving it somewhat conservative, but did get on it a couple times before 1200 miles had past. So, as of right now mine is doing well. Sorry to hear about all of those that are having issues.
Your car has a relatively new build date. I wonder if that has anything to do with your consumption being very little. Since your milage is so low, it is normal to burn some oil because it is still breaking in. Give it some more time, and it might stop completely. My car consumes much more than that, and it was built 10/2005.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 AM
doctorshumes

Default check spark plugs

Anyone check there spark plugs yet. Talked to a mechanic I trust and he said if you really want to know if it is truly burining oil in a manner most cars do then check one or all of the spark plugs. If there is an oily residue then it definitely is burning oil. Not sure if this would help to indicate the problem, bad rings vs blowby vs etc... Just curious what others thought.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM
I1DER

Originally Posted by Durden76
All, there is a theory regarding inconsistent consumption that I believe to be correct. I myself have had inconsistent readings ranging from 0.5qt/1k mi. to 1.5qt/1k mi. When the car is driven solely in rush hour traffic, it consumes very little oil. When I drive canyon roads with a lot of hard acceleration and rev-matching downshifts I consume a great deal more. I've heard the theory that the main culprit of the oil consumption is that during high RPM WOT operation the variable valve timing has some sort of flaw. .
I'm ignorant. What is WOT operation. I did a search, but never saw it defined.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 AM
aren21

Originally Posted by I1DER
I'm ignorant. What is WOT operation. I did a search, but never saw it defined.
WOT= Wide Open Throttle.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I1DER

Thanks. As soon as the roads warm and dry up I will be using WOT again on the twisties and will find out if my oil consumption goes back up.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:12 PM
zman1910

All of you 2006 guys please vote here:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/256866-2006-oil-consumption-poll-please-vote.html
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by zman1910
All of you 2006 guys please vote here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256866
Done!

To all the folks with the RevUp, do not allow someone to tell you that your oil burning is within spec. It is important to note that there is no such spec and this is just a way for Nissan to get rid of people and accept the defect. There is no amount of burning that is acceptable once the car is outside of the breakin period.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:33 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by dbasal
Done!

To all the folks with the RevUp, do not allow someone to tell you that your oil burning is within spec. It is important to note that there is no such spec and this is just a way for Nissan to get rid of people and accept the defect. There is no amount of burning that is acceptable once the car is outside of the breakin period.

Thats EXACTLY what I told the service advisor guy, but he insists that nissan says 1quart/3,500 miles is normal. He said if it burns more than that (which it does), he will replace the engine. Heres the probelm: I dont want another oil burner. Once there is a fix, then I will push for a replacement.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion