Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Is ok man! Your little brother has notice how much time and effort you had place in this OC dilemas and he just wanted to make you feel good even for a day.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On an observation from today's reading. There was a lot of oil stuck to the upper part of the dipstick, not a whole lot, but enough to catch my eye. It looked like gel...no kiddin.

It was very very cold here last night, and this morning it was only 26 degrees. btw: the car is always housed in an enclosed garage that is attached to my house.

It's just very interesting about the "gel oil"

btw: I am running PP 5w-30, so I am good with the freeze factor.

I would not be surprised that when it warms up later on in the week and I take an early morning oil check, that the level goes up from 5mm to say 2 or 3mm of oil loss.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
^^ Is ok man! Your little brother has notice how much time and effort you had place in this OC dilemas and he just wanted to make you feel good even for a day.

hahaha...thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
On an observation from today's reading. There was a lot of oil stuck to the upper part of the dipstick, not a whole lot, but enough to catch my eye. It looked like gel...no kiddin.

It was very very cold here last night, and this morning it was only 26 degrees. btw: the car is always housed in an enclosed garage that is attached to my house.

btw: I am running PP 5w-30, so I am good with the freeze factor.

I would not be surprised that when it warms up later on in the week and I take an early morning oil check, that the level goes up from 5mm to say 2 or 3mm of oil loss.

Cheers
Curtis
dad....there is a difference between consumption and maintenance.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
ZeeForce

^ hey surf, its been a long time, still in hb?

Not sure what you mean, sry I'm a bit slow...came in on the short bus, licking the rear window.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Derek07

Update...second replacement V2 has ~1000 miles on it now, on 2nd oil change (Penz. Plat. 5w-30 now). Seemed a little low after the first change, but this next one will be the test. Engine runs smooth though....breaking in using a hybrid mix of the TSB recommendation and Zeeforce's methods.

I do have to say that the dealership has been great, working with me and getting things done quickly. Anyone in N.CA having these OC problems should go to Future Nissan in Roseville, CA. No, I am not affiliated with them, just been great with the OC problems so far.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers
Curtis
Likely aeration or condensation. I get a yellowish "gel" around my oil cap, not my dipstick though. I'm pretty sure it's a result of condensation and nothing to worry about.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 AM
06CPV35

Cheers
Curtis
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Likely aeration or condensation. I get a yellowish "gel" around my oil cap, not my dipstick though. I'm pretty sure it's a result of condensation and nothing to worry about.
Heard of Diesel fuel turning to gel when very cold.
Agree doubt anything to worry about.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 AM
06CPV35

Bad luck just hit today....jk

But I did check the oil today and was down 5mm on 2378 miles into this oil change interval.

I think my bro took the reading on the morning of the oil drain from the above UOA, which leads me to believe he was seeing things....hence the Zero OC Loss as reported on the UOA.

I am writing that one off as a "mis read the dipstick".
That's a tick (1mm) under 1/4qt consumption. I wouldn't worry, unless it increases. You'd still be fine even if you went 5K on oil changes, which would be ~12mm down at that OC rate. Guess keep an eye on it though to make sure it isn't getting worse or that's it's true 'normal' OC. I could live with that.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
ZeeForce

Thanks guys for chiming in and reassuring me. I knew that if this engine makes it to 18k-25k with only 6mm of OC per 3750 miles, then I will happy with that and consider it a winner.

Btw: I am at 17,627 miles as we speak.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Derek07
Update...second replacement V2 has ~1000 miles on it now, on 2nd oil change (Penz. Plat. 5w-30 now). Seemed a little low after the first change, but this next one will be the test. Engine runs smooth though....breaking in using a hybrid mix of the TSB recommendation and Zeeforce's methods.

I do have to say that the dealership has been great, working with me and getting things done quickly. Anyone in N.CA having these OC problems should go to Future Nissan in Roseville, CA. No, I am not affiliated with them, just been great with the OC problems so far.
Derek, Glad to hear that service mgr –Tom, did not give you any static about switching to synth right away. As he has copies of my UOA and has seen how PP 5w-30 is working much better than conventional oil, which the UOA copy he has is the same one posted here and shows the first two oil changes under conventional Castrol GTX 5w-30 as shearing and not being able to handle the assembly lubes and fuel dilution during this break-in period.

Did you switch to an Amsoil oil filter? This also a key player in the formula, along with another key player, which I cannot disclose, you will have to get a UOA from Dyson to get that secret item. I had mentioned that I would front you one, until you could get one purchased.

The OC is most likely from the conventional oil used and sheared, good thing that you had flushed the oil twice within the first 1000 mi, John (06CPV35) flushed his three times. Shouldn’t matter though. You will probably see at least 6-8mm OC on this next one, remember the assembly lubes and rings and pistons are still setting up for seating. Mine did not seat even on this last UOC at 15k mi. I am hoping on the next UOA to see them fully seat.

I can also attest to Future Nissan of Roseville as being the most professional and top notch dealer. Great service manager, I owe him for my engine. Mine was the third engine the dealer ever did a swap on for the 06 OC issue. Spot less, they only had to tap out a stripped bolt on the engine strut bar.

Derek, lets do coffee at Panera Bakery, you got my cel #.

Btw: OT, I drove the new 370Z yesterday at Future Nissan, it was their first one and only got it two days ago….sweet. As I said in the past, if this engine goes south, I will have NNA replace (not buy back) the car for the 370Z…it’s a win win any way I look at it. 100k ext warranty helps!

Cheers
Curtis

Last edited by ZeeForce; 01-05-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Derek07

I will buzz you Zeeforce, sorry I havent done it sooner (things have been a bit hectic around here). Hope all is well, best to your bro.

Derek
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
ZeeForce

^ Same here with the holiday and such. Thanks I will will pass the message along to the bro. Did somes mods since you last saw it, kicked out, and chopped. Looks aggressive, will see if I can find a decent pic of the 06.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
antennahead

Had my oil changed today and discussed my OC with the head mechanic. He entered my data in the computer and started another consumption test. He commented on information he heard about the oil getting sucked out during downshifts. Anyway, if I fail this test, I think I am gonna suck it up and persue a buyback or swap. On a different note, they had two new 370s at the dealership. They look a lot better IMO in person..... more expensive as well. If you haven't seen one yet, everything you've read about the interiors is true. They have much nicer fit and finish as well as nicer materials. I like the interiors a lot. The cars look very aggressive as well, both had the performance option with the 19 inch wheels and 245/275 rubber..... nice. My mechanic stated the guys at the dealership that had driven them commented they felt a lot faster. Anyway, VERY tired of this crap, want it to go away. I have a lot going on in my job right now, and don't need to be hasseling with this, I need a dependable machine, paid for one. Will update after 1000 miles.

John
Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
06CPV35

^ G/L with all that. Yeah I thought the sucking oil/downshifting thing was fixed with the revised valve stem seals that we really don't know when done.

Saw 370Z upclose and personal at the 'Follow the Nissan' tour. VQ37VHR 332hp....
(just drooled on my keyboard again damn it!!)
Agree...much better seeing in person. They're at dealers out my way too.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM
ZeeForce

Go get em John, if you go for the replacement, make sure there are no 08' available. We were part of The Follow the Nissan Z North American Rally, it stopped in Sacramento-Elk Grove Nissan. The car is much nicer in the flesh.

Our dealer in Roseville -Future NIssan got a white one on Fiday and on Sunday the bro and I both took it for a test drive. It is much faster, and you can feel it in the butt dyno. It was an automatic, so I played with the paddle shifter. If felt heavier and a lil slugish due to the automatic and torque invertor. Still very fast and nice.

So much, that yesterday the bro said he is gonna get one. So here is the deal, he is the owner of the 06, and I can take it and we sell/trade-in my 05 and I take his 06. Or he sell/trade in his 06. With the OC going so well with the 06, we would not be able to at this time to get Nissan to go for the Lemon Law replacement program. I am not sure I want his 06. Yeh it has 300hp vs my 287hp, but mine is rock solid and bullet proof. There is some internal carbon build up on the rings from it having 55k miles on it, but it can be remedied.

Any- who, that's where we are leaning at this moment, it may change to holding off awhile longer, but we both want the 370Z...BAD!

I will try to post some pics of the 06 and one I took of the Follow the Z tour.

http://community.followthenissanz.co...&d-7095067-p=1

Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
06CPV35

^ Don't pay MSRP whatever you do...
Test drive a standard if offered, then decide. Auto...eh not for me, but that's me.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
ZeeForce

I heard that.....I have the fleet mgr who sold us the 05 and the 06, so he knows what I will pay.....invoice + five pennies.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
ZeeForce

A photo that I took during The Follow the Nissan Z North Amercia Rally in Sacramento - Elk Gorve Nissan on 11.22.08

The photo is the most viewed at 18,211 hits.

http://community.followthenissanz.co...&d-7095067-p=1

The model is HIN magazine' model of the year for 2007 - Amanda Gift
More pics of Amanda at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=10147472 The wait for the website to load is worth it.

Name:  DSC10046_bbc.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  168.8 KB

The guy behind the wheel has his sight set on....
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM
ZeeForce

And now the 06 with the freshly built engine. New mods were to kick out the wheels and chop the rear rubber spring mount. This is the how Nissan should have built the car!

Name:  DSC00151_bbc.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  218.8 KB

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion