Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
gennosuke1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
And your oil level is.....................
havent checked but i will do the test

i just know the sound of that rattle was becasue of low oil. from apst experience..
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gennosuke1
havent checked but i will do the test

i just know the sound of that rattle was becasue of low oil. from apst experience..
Very low oil when that rattle sound starts.
Just me, but I never let my old VQ oil burner go below a quart down, even before dealer started testing.

G/L on testing. Sounds like it will be a no-brainer conserning yours...
Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
meow69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help cpv I will get on it as soon as I can and post how things went.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM
ZeeForce

Down shifting, build in Tenn, Mexico, valve guide seals, this discussion is taking 10 steps back and about a year in half ago.

I wonder if that is why Nissan is going with a SynchroRev Match Manual Transmission on the 09 370Z?

Food for thought!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Down shifting, build in Tenn, Mexico, valve guide seals, this discussion is taking 10 steps back and about a year in half ago.

I wonder if that is why Nissan is going with a SynchroRev Match Manual Transmission on the 09 370Z?

Food for thought!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
ZeeForce

^ Sorry not sure what you mean, there is nothing weird about it.

1. Gone full circle with the recent topics brought up.

2. Nissan just introduced a new engine that takes care of the down shifting blow by (so they like to say was the problem with the rev-ups). Any way this new technology is interesting with what they said was causing the oil consumption. And just for speculation purposes; what if this technology was placed on the 06 Rev-Up's. Would that solve the oil consumption issue? IMHO, I would say no, the issue is with the materials they used in the rev-up, I am talking what the metals are made up of that make up the engine parts. I think they failed over time, no matter what oil was used and no matter what the driving habits were. They just failed and the new engines have new parts, dunno if the metals are made up any differently, I would like to think so.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM
gennosuke1

hey anyone that lives out in socal that did the lemon law for their car, can you guys refer me to any lawyers?

Last edited by gennosuke1; 01-16-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
CanadianDream

Okay guys, way too much for me to read here. If I have a 2006 is there a way to see what version of the rev-up I have (i.e. V2).
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM
antennahead

Food for thought!
LOL, you know, I thought that same exact thing when I saw it! Hmmmmmmm, they will sell it as an electronic "heel and toe", when the reality is, it is designed to stop oil suck out on downshift......... makes you wonder doesn't it.

John
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by gennosuke1
hey anyone that lives out in socal that did the lemon law for their car, can you guys refer me to any lawyers?

Try contacting 9kFever, he did the Lemon Law with an attorney, and is from Irvine. He stops by her from time to time. he is driving a Honda S2000 these days. You may find him on some of the S2000 forums.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 01-16-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by CanadianDream
Okay guys, way too much for me to read here. If I have a 2006 is there a way to see what version of the rev-up I have (i.e. V2).
If you are the original owner of the 06 with manual transmission, and the engine has never been replaced to your knowledge. The you def have a original engine.

The V2 is just a term that the new replacement engines were tagged with so we would know on this forum thread, which engines we were talking about.

There are no markings on the engine that would identify a V2. It would only be on the service record with the part number that is on the current TSB (first page)

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by antennahead
LOL, you know, I thought that same exact thing when I saw it! Hmmmmmmm, they will sell it as an electronic "heel and toe", when the reality is, it is designed to stop oil suck out on downshift......... makes you wonder doesn't it.

John
Sure does...although 06CPV35 pointed out to me offline, that the HR and VHR engines that came later fixed the oil consumption.

I do like the thought though...." it is designed to stop oil suck out on downshift" ...
Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM
CanadianDream

Actually just looking at a 06 that is for sale out here (funny another car I am looking at is near you in sacramento I think). But it does help. I don't have the service records so only way would probably be to ask nissan to run the vin.

Thanks for the help.

If you are the original owner of the 06 with manual transmission, and the engine has never been replaced to your knowledge. The you def have a original engine.

The V2 is just a term that the new replacement engines were tagged with so we would know on this forum thread, which engines we were talking about.

There are no markings on the engine that would identify a V2. It would only be on the service record with the part number that is on the current TSB (first page)

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 PM
ZeeForce

^ Good luck with getting the VIN ran by the dealer, what you need is the serial number off the engine and then have the dealer run that to see if it matches the VIN for that particular car. Almost impossible to get the serial number, unless the engine is pulled, as it's on the engine that is located up against the firewall.

Other than that I cannot think of any other identity marks on engine to differentiate the two.

Good Luck

Cheers
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 AM
nismoZomsin

*update*
its been about 15 pages of posts (bout 2 hours of reading) since my last post here (which was the day i got my Z back with the new V2).

i did my first oil change on the V2 after a very boring 3200 miles of breaking-in-uninspiring driving today...err yesterday and it barely had 1.5 quarts left.
–does that qualify as a fail? or should i give it some time to burn less oil in later miles?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 AM
antennahead

Sure does...although 06CPV35 pointed out to me offline, that the HR and VHR engines that came later fixed the oil consumption.

I do like the thought though...." it is designed to stop oil suck out on downshift" ...
As you know I have one of the early V2 engines. I don't think mine has the later valve seal and PCV fix. If I keep using, I will probably let them try one more engine, that one fails, it's buyback time!

John
Old 01-17-2009, 07:19 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nismoZomsin
*update*
its been about 15 pages of posts (bout 2 hours of reading) since my last post here (which was the day i got my Z back with the new V2).

i did my first oil change on the V2 after a very boring 3200 miles of breaking-in-uninspiring driving today...err yesterday and it barely had 1.5 quarts left.
–does that qualify as a fail? or should i give it some time to burn less oil in later miles?
That's very, very bad.

On engine break-in you should be checking the oil more frequently also.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by antennahead

John

That was my take on that when I first read/heard about that new feature. I suck at heel-toe downshifting lol.

And yea the HR and VHR are the 80% redesigned block and heads from our DE series. More hp, no pinging (even on 91oct) and no (or very little) OC that I know of on those.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by nismoZomsin
*update*

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
That's very, very bad.

On engine break-in you should be checking the oil more frequently also.
Ouch that's a lot during break-in.
My OC totaled 20mm down in it's first 3750 miles of frequent OCI's during that time.

Agree on should be checking more frequently. Only 1.5qt left is very very bad for engine.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by CanadianDream
Actually just looking at a 06 that is for sale out here (funny another car I am looking at is near you in sacramento I think). But it does help. I don't have the service records so only way would probably be to ask nissan to run the vin.

Thanks for the help.

^ Good luck with getting the VIN ran by the dealer, what you need is the serial number off the engine and then have the dealer run that to see if it matches the VIN for that particular car. Almost impossible to get the serial number, unless the engine is pulled, as it's on the engine that is located up against the firewall.

Other than that I cannot think of any other identity marks on engine to differentiate the two.

Good Luck

Cheers
Still running the vin with dealer would show if there was a warranty replacement done or not. Vin pulls up all service records done at any Nissan dealer with that vehicle. But sounds like maybe dealers won't do that unless you own it...idk

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-17-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added dealers won't do unless you own...

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion