Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^ G/L with all that. Yeah I thought the sucking oil/downshifting thing was fixed with the revised valve stem seals that we really don't know when done.

Saw 370Z upclose and personal at the 'Follow the Nissan' tour. VQ37VHR 332hp....
(just drooled on my keyboard again damn it!!)
Agree...much better seeing in person. They're at dealers out my way too.
That is what the head mechanic said, also assuming the early V2s, of which I have one, didn't have the revised valve stem seals.

John
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
antennahead

Do you guys remember the link, or location of the link concerning the lemon law and buyback? I remember reading this a while back, and there was language there that also covered having Nissan replace the vehicle, and paying the difference between MSRPs if a comparible new model year is not available. Thanks.

John
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Derek07

Seems like you will need to free up a couple hours running back through this ~200 page post
Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Derek07
Seems like you will need to free up a couple hours running back through this ~200 page post
No s**t As long as this thing is I was hoping I might get lucky.

John
Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

My dealership is giving me the run around.

Said it was a one time thing so i drive back from school (2 full tanks of gas) and they check the oil level which took an hour and told me to come back in 1200 miles.

Fck this ****. Im not happy right now. Im about to call up cooperate and file a complaint.

Oh I cant wait to lemon my car (for grinding transmissions) after they put a brand new engine in.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by antennahead
That is what the head mechanic said, also assuming the early V2s, of which I have one, didn't have the revised valve stem seals.

John
Mine must have had them as I was just behind you a few months with the replacement engine. And I am not burning oil. btw: the bro ALWAYS down shifts. IMHO I think all of them got it from the start, as this was what we were all hearing from the dealers, that ......."because we down shifted is why we were consuming".......note this is what the dealers were sayiong ....not me....wanted to make sure that was clear to all reading this.

The Lemom Law and replacement info is on the BBB website. When you click your state and model there is an additional document that talks about the replacement law. No need to did through all these pages here.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Mine must have had them as I was just behind you a few months with the replacement engine. And I am not burning oil. btw: the bro ALWAYS down shifts. IMHO I think all of them got it from the start, as this was what we were all hearing from the dealers, that ......."because we down shifted is why we were consuming".......note this is what the dealers were sayiong ....not me....wanted to make sure that was clear to all reading this.

The Lemom Law and replacement info is on the BBB website. When you click your state and model there is an additional document that talks about the replacement law. No need to did through all these pages here.
Well downshifting shouldn't cause blow by, but the old valve seals couldn't handle it possibly. The success of some of the later engines could be indicitive of the valve seal fix. Murphy's law, what I get for demanding a replacement so soon. Oh well, maybe I should let them try one more engine, then if that fails, go for the buyback.

John
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well downshifting shouldn't cause blow by, but the old valve seals couldn't handle it possibly. The success of some of the later engines could be indicitive of the valve seal fix. Murphy's law, what I get for demanding a replacement so soon. Oh well, maybe I should let them try one more engine, then if that fails, go for the buyback.

John
Agree...three strikes and if a fail.........NOW YOUR OUT NISSAN!! lol

Weird though about my recent V2 with so-called revised valve seals. My OC has increased. My UOA shows NO blow-by via rings. My fuel dilute is 'below' normal target on VQ's showing good ring seal against cylinder wall. My UOA is stellar...better than ZeeForces...go figure that one haha. I can't with his having very little OC compared to mine...

But I did higher rpm's that service interval (with known high vacuum pull on all these revups and non revups) no forced down-shifts (engine braking), but rev match downshifts for turn exits while driving spirited.

My mechanic also mentioned the down-shifting thing too = past reason of revup OC, when I picked mine up with the V2. I asked him then, why not an issue with 03-04 non revups 6mt's with downshifting and high revs? He couldn't answer that one. I call BS with all that then concerning ours....

Also call BS as to then why some peeps here, even with V1's that drive theirs like they stole it and have no OC. Something is still askew with some of these replacements imo.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Nismospeed4life

I guess our were build in Tennesee instead of Japan?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Give your engine time to break in. Mine consumed also for a while but it tapered off after about 3k miles.
Really hoping for that myself. I've started driving the car on "good" winter days to get more miles on the engine. Did top off the oil with a half quart and will continue to check it every 500 miles.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
I guess our were build in Tennesee instead of Japan?
Someone with their recent replacement on another forum, looked at the white paper taped to their VQ (-edit- or was it the crate plastic wrap cover, can't remember) and confirmed it's build origin (Japan). I did not think of that and still kick myself for not looking or taking clear pix of that on mine. Got the engine number tho, but haven't found how to resource that number to it's history/origin yet. Who's to say there's still not over-stock with V1's with crappy inventory control in US warehouses. Or maybe back to Tenn built b/c of over-sea shipping costs

Someone here said recently New Mexico too?

If anyone knows how to reference engine number, please chime in and share the love thanx....

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-11-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: crate plastic with origin?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Give your engine time to break in. Mine consumed also for a while but it tapered off after about 3k miles.
Originally Posted by usmanasif
Really hoping for that myself. I've started driving the car on "good" winter days to get more miles on the engine. Did top off the oil with a half quart and will continue to check it every 500 miles.
Hope the same for you as everyone.
Mine started going South after 3750 miles, but I've already explained what I did different from before and UOA was awesome
Valve guide seals could only be where my oil is going now imo...

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-11-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added valve seals = my OC now
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Nismo1182

Do you guys remember the link, or location of the link concerning the lemon law and buyback? I remember reading this a while back, and there was language there that also covered having Nissan replace the vehicle, and paying the difference between MSRPs if a comparible new model year is not available. Thanks.

John
It should still be on the first page

Last edited by Nismo1182; 01-14-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 AM
meow69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will I be able to get this checked out if Iam not under warranty anymore? I have a 06 and thought I might have my car checked out to see if I have any problems.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 AM
gennosuke1

oh oh i think i am starting to hear a rattle again, i hope i dont have oil consumption =/

maybe ill see about the lemon law. itd be really dumb to keep getting the engine replaced. Sad news since i bought my car i spent money on parts like springs, lip, exhaust, tires/wheels

=/ err the 350 is a really nice car but Nissan you really f**ked up
Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 AM
meow69

is there anything to look/hear for to find consumption other then checking oil levels with the stick.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by gennosuke1
oh oh i think i am starting to hear a rattle again, i hope i dont have oil consumption =/

maybe ill see about the lemon law. itd be really dumb to keep getting the engine replaced. Sad news since i bought my car i spent money on parts like springs, lip, exhaust, tires/wheels

=/ err the 350 is a really nice car but Nissan you really f**ked up
And your oil level is.....................
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by meow69
is there anything to look/hear for to find consumption other then checking oil levels with the stick.
Excessive black soot in the tail pipe tips. Checking oil level on stick per x miles to confirm OC is the best way. Unsual noises usually means not much oil in there or VQ is done from not having enough oil at one point (damage done) even after topping off.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-14-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added 'damage done'
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
meow69

so if I do have those does that mean I can go into any dealership and ask them to look at it
Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by meow69
so if I do have those does that mean I can go into any dealership and ask them to look at it
Yup.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion