Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Yes, watch em like a hawk.

Make sure before you leave the deeler that you take a dipstick reading when its stone cold. Seen a lot that have only filled it with 5.0 qrts when it should be 5.5 qrts on a NEW ENGINE ONLY.

Note: regular oil capacity is 5.0 qrts. The issue is with any new built engine, they need the initial oil filled up to 5.5 qrts, this is to fill in all the crannies in the upper part of the engine,

Cheers
Curtis
Sounds good Curtis. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 AM
travismaser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my new motor in my car and got the car back yesterday

as soon as break in is done then my turbo kit goes on
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick update before I head to work. The engine has been replaced and it does appear they put in 5.5 qrts like you stated earlier Curtis. So far I've got 4.5 miles on the new engine and no issues stick out so far. I've noticed that I'm idling much much smoother already though.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Cool beans, you should also probably notice for awhile soot on the exhaust tips. This is normal, as it needs to burn off the cats from all the build up of blow by.

I would recommend dumping the oil ASAP, like at 12-24 miles. Follow our (mine and 06CPV35) recommended oil changes for the first 3750mi.

A used oil analysis is your best friend.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
KnighTT

Went back in for the second test for the OC issue. Tested at 56,113 and I'm back in after 1,200 or so miles.

Lost half a quart. Sitting right at -12mm on the stick. Dead in the middle. Guy looks me dead in the eye and says "You're fine".

I didn't have the TSB packet in front of me with my info and my past test, so I let it be and went back to work.

I'm going back at 5 after work and busting down the managers door. Respectfully at first of course.

I had a feeling they would try and pull the same BS they have with everyone else.

Any advice before I go in guys?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by KnighTT
Went back in for the second test for the OC issue. Tested at 56,113 and I'm back in after 1,200 or so miles.

Lost half a quart. Sitting right at -12mm on the stick. Dead in the middle. Guy looks me dead in the eye and says "You're fine".

I didn't have the TSB packet in front of me with my info and my past test, so I let it be and went back to work.

I'm going back at 5 after work and busting down the managers door. Respectfully at first of course.

I had a feeling they would try and pull the same BS they have with everyone else.

Any advice before I go in guys?
Your paperwork say 12mm down at your test return odo reading = 1,200mi from last odo test visit?
If not, get that official service paperwork for 'important' documentation indicating that.
Don't accept anything just verbal concerning OC mm's and your mileage.
Then ask nicely if you could see their TSB with OC chart. Maybe they'll think twice after that request hopefully.

If that doesn't work or BS is so thick now you can cut it with a knife, leave and call NNA to file complaint.
Mention you're going to call the BBB right after, due to your paperwork showing you do qualify per TSB.
See what NNA says then. Get a complaint case # from NNA regardless of that phone call outcome, don't hang up without one.

If NNA are a$$hats on the phone, then definitely call the BBB and start that process.

You could try another dealer that hopefully will play by the rules too.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Engine is on order so put me down for being replaced.

Ill do info tomorrow. Too late...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 AM
phinmac

I have an 06, does this apply, can someone bring me up to speed?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by phinmac
I would suggest you make an effort and at least do a little reading and then if you have any follow-up questions any of us will be more than happy to assist you.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by phinmac
Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
I would suggest you make an effort and at least do a little reading and then if you have any follow-up questions any of us will be more than happy to assist you.
Agree...try first post for starters with TSB and other good info.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Wardriver25

hello everyone, I have a question.. i just got my oil consumption test done at the dealer and they said that it passed the oil consumption test and to come back after 1000 miles... what do the mean with that? How should I handle this? thank you
Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Wardriver25
hello everyone, I have a question.. i just got my oil consumption test done at the dealer and they said that it passed the oil consumption test and to come back after 1000 miles... what do the mean with that? How should I handle this? thank you
Is this the first time that they check your oil levels? Meaning, after the initial fil up to the "F" mark on the dip stick?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardriver25
Next time you go back please let the service manager know that you would like to see the dipstick before they top off your oil. Get a measurement. Also, you should kind of know what your engine consumption is before you take it into the dealer. I suggest doing your own engine consumption test beforehand so you can have some type of apples to apples comparison.

The dealership should simply validate the problems you've found during your own oil consumption measurements, leading to your engine exchange.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '06 Enthusiast now has about 35K miles. And I drive it the way a sport/perfromance was designed to be driven.

Its fast as hell, gets 22-23 MPG around town and 27-28 on the highway (80-85 MPH) And it uses a quart every 3500 miles.

Now I guess I'm in the minority, but if a quart of oil every 3500 miles is the worst problem I have with an otherwise top performing car, I don't want some Nissan tech messing with it. I'm perfectly happy to keep the engine I have.

A quart of Mobil 1 every 3500 miles doesn't bother me a bit.

bill
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue is whether or not your oil consumption gets worse over time. You still have 25k on your powertrain warranty- there's no reason why you can't revisit your consumption before your warranty cutoff down the line.

BTW, those are great mileage numbers.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
The issue is whether or not your oil consumption gets worse over time. You still have 25k on your powertrain warranty- there's no reason why you can't revisit your consumption before your warranty cutoff down the line.

BTW, those are great mileage numbers.
Yeah, in spite of the fact that my current attitude is "leave it alone", I don't overlook the fact that i have another 25K (about 2 years) to reconsider.

When I first got the car, for about the first 6-8K, it used about a quart/1000 miles. But then consumption dropped of, and it has held steady at 1 qt/3500 ever since. I don't see any worsening trend.

And if my understanding of the actual problem is correct, that it is related to the VVT system, and not any internal defects (rings/cylkinders) I really see no reason to expect it to change..

But like you say, I've got 25K to reconsider. And yeah, I'm pleased with the mileage. It actually gets better mileage than my '02 Frontier standard cab 4 cylinder with 5 MT. But the Frontier never uses any oil. This is Nissan truck #5. I bought the first one in '87.

bill
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
photo2u

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is my car up for engine replacement?

Friends,
Today I noticed that my 06 was low in oil again. I had enough. I review my oil consumption and I had to add 4 quarts of oil in the last 5k miles. How can this be? Is my z up for engine replacement? I used to keep an eye on my oil Consumption like a hawk. I also began to notice a strange knocking sound coming out of the engine and the” service engine soon” light is now on.

Oil Consumption/changes facts

1. First oil change 05/16/07 3095 miles
2. Last oil change 04/04/08 6266 miles.
3. Today 02/2309 11075 miles.
4. 4 quarts of oil added in 5k miles 02/23/09

I am going to take West Covina Nissan to see what they say. I just hope I do not get the run around.
I will keep you posted. For the record, I bought the car new from performance Nissan in o6 and the car has only 11075 miles.

Last edited by photo2u; 02-23-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: wrote 110750 instead of 11075
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
06CPV35

^You say 4qts/5000mi, which = 1qt/1250mi.
Read the TSB on first page and print a copy.
Look at the chart with your consumption as far as if you qualify...

Originally Posted by photo2u
I used to keep an eye on my oil Consumption like a hawk. I also began to notice a strange knocking sound coming out of the engine and the” service engine soon” light is now on.'
You never should've stopped keeping an eye on your OC. Your engine is junk now with that knocking noise b/c of running it with only one quart in it.

G/L
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
jsg

Default New York Lemon Law Buyback

Thank you very much to all who have brought to light the issue in this thread. I could no longer take the oil consumption tests and engine break-in's. It has totally spoiled my "Z" experience. I tried to deal with NNA for 12 months but got much the same run around that many of you have experienced. I finally hired a lawyer and 6 months later NNA has purchased my car back under the New York Lemon Law. The last offer prior to the buyback was another new engine and $6000.00. When I told NNA I would take another replacement engine, deny the cash, and continue with my lawsuit they finally succumbed. Makes you wonder how confident they are about having corrected the "issue", whatever it may be at this point. Anyway, I have left the land of the Rising Son and moved to the Fatherland. In six weeks I will be in my new 135i with M Sport package, Dinan Stage 2 (384HP/421TQ) with full powertrain warranty, and many other BMW Performance goodies. If any of you would like to pose any questions on my buyback process just shoot me an email at 1z2znoz@optonline.net.

Thanks again to all, best of luck and happy motoring !
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
photo2u

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsg
Thank you very much to all who have brought to light the issue in this thread. I could no longer take the oil consumption tests and engine break-in's. It has totally spoiled my "Z" experience. I tried to deal with NNA for 12 months but got much the same run around that many of you have experienced. I finally hired a lawyer and 6 months later NNA has purchased my car back under the New York Lemon Law. The last offer prior to the buyback was another new engine and $6000.00. When I told NNA I would take another replacement engine, deny the cash, and continue with my lawsuit they finally succumbed. Makes you wonder how confident they are about having corrected the "issue", whatever it may be at this point. Anyway, I have left the land of the Rising Son and moved to the Fatherland. In six weeks I will be in my new 135i with M Sport package, Dinan Stage 2 (384HP/421TQ) with full powertrain warranty, and many other BMW Performance goodies. If any of you would like to pose any questions on my buyback process just shoot me an email at 1z2znoz@optonline.net.

Thanks again to all, best of luck and happy motoring !
Thanks Man, I might be in the same boat soon. Take good care.
I hope that things work out great for you.

George from Pasadena,

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion