Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by photo2u
Friends,
Today I noticed that my 06 was low in oil again. I had enough. I review my oil consumption and I had to add 4 quarts of oil in the last 5k miles. How can this be? Is my z up for engine replacement? I used to keep an eye on my oil Consumption like a hawk. I also began to notice a strange knocking sound coming out of the engine and the” service engine soon” light is now on.

Oil Consumption/changes facts

1. First oil change 05/16/07 3095 miles
2. Last oil change 04/04/08 6266 miles.
3. Today 02/2309 11075 miles.
4. 4 quarts of oil added in 5k miles 02/23/09

I am going to take West Covina Nissan to see what they say. I just hope I do not get the run around.
I will keep you posted. For the record, I bought the car new from performance Nissan in o6 and the car has only 11075 miles.
West Covina should take care of you. They're an excellent dealership with a great track record on this site.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsg
Thank you very much to all who have brought to light the issue in this thread. I could no longer take the oil consumption tests and engine break-in's. It has totally spoiled my "Z" experience. I tried to deal with NNA for 12 months but got much the same run around that many of you have experienced. I finally hired a lawyer and 6 months later NNA has purchased my car back under the New York Lemon Law. The last offer prior to the buyback was another new engine and $6000.00. When I told NNA I would take another replacement engine, deny the cash, and continue with my lawsuit they finally succumbed. Makes you wonder how confident they are about having corrected the "issue", whatever it may be at this point. Anyway, I have left the land of the Rising Son and moved to the Fatherland. In six weeks I will be in my new 135i with M Sport package, Dinan Stage 2 (384HP/421TQ) with full powertrain warranty, and many other BMW Performance goodies. If any of you would like to pose any questions on my buyback process just shoot me an email at 1z2znoz@optonline.net.

Thanks again to all, best of luck and happy motoring !
A year or more ago, it was only $4000 offered with condition never to lemon it, now $6K huh...

Good to know and thanx for offering to help others with the Buy Back experience.

All the best to you too and happy motoring as well in your I35.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
photo2u

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
West Covina should take care of you. They're an excellent dealership with a great track record on this site.
Yes, They do. I was just glad that Tim took care of me. I will keep you guys posted. I am printing all of the post in this thread and other similar threads in the forum so that I that I can closely review them so that I can be very well informed regarding oc and the test procedures and options.

George from Pasadena,
Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
jsg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
A year or more ago, it was only $4000 offered with condition never to lemon it, now $6K huh...

Good to know and thanx for offering to help others with the Buy Back experience.

All the best to you too and happy motoring as well in your I35.
I should have clarifed that the $6K included the $1750 NNA would have had to pay the lawyer. So, it would have been a little over $4K back to me. For those who have not read this thread from the beginning you would find that NNA has a script they follow for buyback. What you ultimately get back from them depends on how hard you want to push and how willing you are to give up such a nice car.

I owe my total buyback knowledge to this thread so the least I can do is assist anyone else who may have just gotten fed up.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM
widesti

im at the nissan dealership right now. i just changed my oil 2 days ago and put ~190 miles on it. they said that if they do the oil consumption test and they have to change the oil, they only cover regular dino oil. however i have switched to synthetic. should i pay the difference for the synthetic oil if they change it or is it ok to have them put regular oil in it?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Nismospeed4life

No harm done, is ok to switch.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
widesti

thanks i just told the service manager.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
06CPV35

TSB doesn't state must be Dino used in testing and can't use Synth, but no matter.
If your burning, both will burn about the same rate anyway.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
neech

Wow, long thread. I just got my 35th 3 months ago with 19k miles. Had the oil changed at jiffy at 23k with synthetic. Checked again at 26k (iirc), and was about a full quart low, much to my surprise! The oil was still a very light amber though, so thats cool.
I have a friend that is a service writer at the local Nissan dealer where I bought the car, talked to him today. Taking the car in next week for the OC test.

Mike
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
sleezye

Purchased my 06 used with 18.5k miles last August. Had dealer change oil at 20,421 in October. Mileage is now at 22,847 with oil showing at the 17mm mark. I am heading to West Covina Nissan to do the test tomorrow. Now my question is, I bought the car used private party, but had the warranty transfered in my name, will the car be covered for the engine replacement even though I am not the original owner?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manufacturer's warranty follows the car, not the owner.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
sleezye

Update: I dropped the car off at the dealership yesterday. It's going to have the new engine put in and should be be ready in a few days. I hope it works out, I can't imagine getting rid of this car. I love everything about it and got it for a really good price too. I would hate to see it go, and feel bad for the owner after me
Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by sleezye
Update: I dropped the car off at the dealership yesterday. It's going to have the new engine put in and should be be ready in a few days. I hope it works out, I can't imagine getting rid of this car. I love everything about it and got it for a really good price too. I would hate to see it go, and feel bad for the owner after me
I love mine too, but I am very tired of all this......... thinking hard about trading it in on a 2009. I just don't have the time right now to get an attorney and fight NNA. I guess that is what they want to happen, the way they treat us on this issue.

John
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
ZeeForce

^ John, I feel for you, I did just that this last weekend and taking delivery tomorrow of a 370Z.

The good thing about it for the new owner is that the 100K extended warranty that NNA gave us on the new engine is transferable to the new owner....win win for her. Plus the UOA's have been stellar.....it was a winner.

Ya hear that Blake...it is a WINNER.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
^ John, I feel for you, I did just that this last weekend and taking delivery tomorrow of a 370Z.

The good thing about it for the new owner is that the 100K extended warranty that NNA gave us on the new engine is transferable to the new owner....win win for her. Plus the UOA's have been stellar.....it was a winner.

Cheers
Curtis

How many SN's did he have on here...oh the memories

Currently mine looking real close to being the same....just turned 9Kmi on my V2.
8-9mm @ ~3000mi and still improving
Old 03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Nismospeed4life

Cheers
Curtis
Congratulations on your new car ZeeForce!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
antennahead

Cheers
Curtis
Curtis, please PM me or give me your impressions of the 370 once you have it a few days. Have you heard anything about temperature issues with the car? Read another thread on this, possible need for an external oil cooler.

John
Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 PM
sleezye

Just got home with my Z. I had Frank at Empire Nissan in Ontario take care of me, great guy and really helpful to any of you socal people looking for a dealer to get this oil consumption business taken care of. Anyway, the break in is gonna suck, I hate not being able to drive my sports car like a sports car I Will be updating my progress.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
ZeeForce

Cheers
Curtis

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

How many SN's did he have on here...oh the memories

Currently mine looking real close to being the same....just turned 9Kmi on my V2.
8-9mm @ ~3000mi and still improving
Two SN’s that I knew of…geez those were some popcorn days…drama

That is awesome, I may help you spring for some of the special oil. I was running it in mine but sold it before I got a sample tested. I am sure you know who would like to see that oil pull some good numbers on the test analysis.

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Congratulations on your new car ZeeForce!
Thanks a bunch that means a lot. We have all spent a couple if not a few years here, and I feel like we are all brothers helping one another out. I will still visit, I still subscribe and see all posts and will chime in everynow and then. Feel free to PM me…that goes for anyone here.

Originally Posted by antennahead
Curtis, please PM me or give me your impressions of the 370 once you have it a few days. Have you heard anything about temperature issues with the car? Read another thread on this, possible need for an external oil cooler.

John
John, thanks and I will as soon as I have some miles under my belt. I have not heard of the possible temp issues, thanks I will read up on the thread.

I have already been in contact with Terry of Dyson Analysis, he was sad to see the 06 go, it was a real piece of work getting in tune and although we did not see the results of the current oil he suggested. I am planning on using it on the 370Z after the regimental break-in method he suggested and John (06CPV35) proved that it works.

Here is the break-in method:

A)
1) Change the oil ASAP once the car gets home. (Did that at 37miles)
2) Change it again at 300-500 miles
3) Change it again at 1000-1200
4) Then let the previous oil change go for the entire 3750 miles and change it out and have it tested by Dyson Analysis

B) Perform sometime (it does not matter when) 5 uphill WOT, never over revving.
C) Follow the mfg recommended break-in – never over-reving past 4k rpm.
D) Have oil analyzed after every oil, to determine if and when the engine components have seated and seal for longevity. Mine still had not fully seated after 20k miles, although I have not looked at my last used oil analysis. As the car is now sold to a local around the corner from me.

Cheers
Curtis

Last edited by ZeeForce; 03-12-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: edited typo
Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

Well, my car consumes oil. I brought it in multiple times, but the dealer is apprehensive to admit that it's consuming oil. The master tech has told me that it's consuming oil the service dude is telling me that it's sitting with NNA right now.

I've been waiting for over 4 weeks for confirmation of a new long block by Nissan. Is there any way I can speed this up? It's already failed two tests.

There's nothing written or any physical evidence to prove that they've done anything, so I feel like I'm being jerked around. Anyone have any advice? I have contacted NNA about it and they gave me a file number, but there has to be something else.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion