Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
CanadianDream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So will the warranty replacement apply if you are not the first owner? I am sure it should, just checking.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
nismoZomsin

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
That's very, very bad.

On engine break-in you should be checking the oil more frequently also.
actually, i've been checking it every 500 miles since i got it and well i think my dipstick is broken...every time i check it, its coated with oil throughout. anyone else experience this with their V2? cuz the dealer said its "normal."
Old 01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
clone19

you have to wait for the engine to cool down a little bit before checking it or it'll be all over the dipstick.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
nismoZomsin

im aware of that, but thanks for your concern.

after meeting with the technician that worked on my engine swap, he eventually claimed that he failed to completely top-off my oil after the install and confirmed that oil over the dipstick when the engine is warm is not normal.so now im due back this friday for a complete breakdown/inspection of my V2 to see if i qualify for another swap...yay
Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nismoZomsin
im aware of that, but thanks for your concern.
If you were aware of that you wouldn't have a problem checking your oil.

Nissan's guidelines tell them to wait at least fifteen minutes. I suggest letting it sit overnight. You should be able to get a pretty good reading after that.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
nismoZomsin

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
If you were aware of that you wouldn't have a problem checking your oil.

Nissan's guidelines tell them to wait at least fifteen minutes. I suggest letting it sit overnight. You should be able to get a pretty good reading after that.
overnight? whats the point of warming up the engine to check? be aware that if you do wait overnight, the level will show as much lower than whats really inside. you should never check your oil when its not been warmed, otherwise you will overfill your engine and lots of terrible things will happen.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 AM
ashan723

I just got my v2 this past saturday and it is running just great. I had to go through the warranty I bought when I purchased the vehicle (I'm a second owner). Just had to pay for the fifty bucks deductible. I am going to break in my engine suggested by the motoman from the first page of the topic. I was trying to break in suggested by the owner's manual and past recommendation, but I am going with the motoman. Seems to make sense and more fun. I can't wait to rip it. I didn't get to read through this entire post, but I was wondering how many miles should I break in my engine for?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nismoZomsin
overnight? whats the point of warming up the engine to check? be aware that if you do wait overnight, the level will show as much lower than whats really inside. you should never check your oil when its not been warmed, otherwise you will overfill your engine and lots of terrible things will happen.
Maybe you are confusing the task of warming the oil before draining it - with the task of checking the oil. You do not have to have warm oil to check the level.. not sure where you are getting that info.?

Letting the engine sit overnight lets the oil cool and completely drain to the pan - where you can get an accurate reading. If you do a search on dipstick in the forums you will surely be greeted with many many complaints of how the dipstick sucks - AND in order to get an accurate reading you need to let the car sit for a while to get an accurate reading.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my oil changed and measured by a local Nissan dealership after burning 2 quarts of oil in the last 2 months.

==========
1, your approx consumption
-1-2 quarts between oil changes

2, oil type
10w-30 Royal Purple

3, how you are doing about solving the issue
-I have to add oil constantly

4, if you have solved the problem with nissan
-I just started the process to have the oil consumption documented. Only time will tell if the engine will be replaced.
==========

So as I understand it, if oil consumption is confirmed by the dealership then I should be covered by the factory 60k drivetrain warranty?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Look at the TSB on the first page.
That will answer a lot of your questions.

Yes warranty to 60K on powertrain.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Still running the vin with dealer would show if there was a warranty replacement done or not. Vin pulls up all service records done at any Nissan dealer with that vehicle. But sounds like maybe dealers won't do that unless you own it...idk
Hey thanks for the 411.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by thekinn
Maybe you are confusing the task of warming the oil before draining it - with the task of checking the oil. You do not have to have warm oil to check the level.. not sure where you are getting that info.?

Letting the engine sit overnight lets the oil cool and completely drain to the pan - where you can get an accurate reading. If you do a search on dipstick in the forums you will surely be greeted with many many complaints of how the dipstick sucks - AND in order to get an accurate reading you need to let the car sit for a while to get an accurate reading.
+1 thanks, dunno know where he is getting the bad info. If it's from the dealer, I would be running fast from them.

And thanks chesirecat79, btw I posted in your garage for a copy of the pic....
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by CanadianDream
So will the warranty replacement apply if you are not the first owner? I am sure it should, just checking.

Thanks.
Check the BBB Lemon Law on the first page. It's been awhile since I visted it.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
+1 thanks, dunno know where he is getting the bad info. If it's from the dealer, I would be running fast from them.

And thanks chesirecat79, btw I posted in your garage for a copy of the pic....
Sorry about that bro- I'll get it out to you tonight
Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
ZeeForce

^ schweet...thanks, and let me know if you need my em to push it through the pipeline. ....
Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
myzride

Can anyone give me any suggestions regarding the first oil change after an engine replacement. The engine was replaced last November and I drove it around 200 miles before storing it for the winter. When I start it back up in the spring, should I replace the oil or run it til the recomended milage?
I read somewhere that the first oil in the engine has things in it to help break the engine in, don't know if that's true or not but since the car will have sat for roughly 5 months I would normally change the oil but in this case I'm not sure what to do.
Need help!!
Thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by myzride
Can anyone give me any suggestions regarding the first oil change after an engine replacement. The engine was replaced last November and I drove it around 200 miles before storing it for the winter. When I start it back up in the spring, should I replace the oil or run it til the recomended milage?
I read somewhere that the first oil in the engine has things in it to help break the engine in, don't know if that's true or not but since the car will have sat for roughly 5 months I would normally change the oil but in this case I'm not sure what to do.
Need help!!
Thanks
Replace oil!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
ZeeForce

Replace it ASAP at:

20 miles
Again at 200mi
Again at 1000mi

Then let it go for the full 3750mi
Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Replace it ASAP at:

20 miles
Again at 200mi
Again at 1000mi

Then let it go for the full 3750mi
Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
pcharoe1

I took my car to the dealer on wednesday (Jan. 21st, 09) to start the process. They seem to be pretty cool about it. After coming home I just park it and did not drive it until today Jan. 24th, 09. But before I drive I check the oil level, and it looks like the dealer over filled my oil!!! It is passed the H mark by a good 3 to 4 mm.

What do you guys suggest I should do? Take it back to them and tell them they over filled it?!?!? I am very unhappy right now cuz they did this!!!

I like this dealer a lot, but now I'm thinking about changing dealer, because of this s###.

HELP

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion