Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
MollyHulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jammin
Just got back from Nissan. They just marked my dipstick today and gotta go back in 1,000 miles. Exactly how hard do I need to drive my car to ensure that it should consume oil to get the new v2 engine?
I was pretty hard on mine during OC testing (had 2 V2s awarded to me - Nissan bought back the 2nd V2 with the car) and the dealer never said you're driving to hard.

I also did my own testing during OC tests with the V1 and V2 (after 1,200 mile break-in period per the manual). I first drove easy for about 200 hundred miles, measured the oil loss, then rode high RPMs for 200 and checked the oil levels. Each time I did this, I noted significantly more oil burn after driving it hard. You can do as you please, or listen to the blowhards who claim their V2s are indestructable but they don't drive hard, more like granny. I bought a sports car to drive it, not baby it.

Last edited by MollyHulk; 04-23-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:37 PM
bigdv519

Wow....all i can say is wow. forgive me for not reading all 200+ pages. I switched my daily driver from an 88 RX-7 TII to a 2006 Z for reliablity reasons. On my first oil change, I only pulled out 2 quarts of oil for 5 k miles (which i presumed would be "ok" oil change intervel time for the VQ engine). ive done some testing changing the oil at 2k miles now and twice in a row, im more than 2 quarts low. My dad said the prev owner might have overheated the engine and the rings could now be the culprit. I believe i'm past the warranty, so my question is, could i still take my Z into the dealership for the OC test? Thanks all.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
jammin

Originally Posted by MollyHulk
I was pretty hard on mine during OC testing (had 2 V2s awarded to me - Nissan bought back the 2nd V2 with the car) and the dealer never said you're driving to hard.

I also did my own testing during OC tests with the V1 and V2 (after 1,200 mile break-in period per the manual). I first drove easy for about 200 hundred miles, measured the oil loss, then rode high RPMs for 200 and checked the oil levels. Each time I did this, I noted significantly more oil burn after driving it hard. You can do as you please, or listen to the blowhards who claim their V2s are indestructable but they don't drive hard, more like granny. I bought a sports car to drive it, not baby it.
Hm, hopefully they will replace the engine, and it won't have more OC problems. But if it does, then I guess thats grounds for a new car, so that wouldn't be bad either. I just hope all goes smoothly and no hassles.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdv519
Wow....all i can say is wow. forgive me for not reading all 200+ pages. I switched my daily driver from an 88 RX-7 TII to a 2006 Z for reliablity reasons. On my first oil change, I only pulled out 2 quarts of oil for 5 k miles (which i presumed would be "ok" oil change intervel time for the VQ engine). ive done some testing changing the oil at 2k miles now and twice in a row, im more than 2 quarts low. My dad said the prev owner might have overheated the engine and the rings could now be the culprit. I believe i'm past the warranty, so my question is, could i still take my Z into the dealership for the OC test? Thanks all.
Powertrain warranty is for 5yrs/60K. Your fine on years with a 2006 and if not over that mileage, it's still under warranty on engine.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
06CPV35

Hm, hopefully they will replace the engine, and it won't have more OC problems. But if it does, then I guess thats grounds for a new car, so that wouldn't be bad either. I just hope all goes smoothly and no hassles.
Don't break yours in like the Nissan hater you quoted, that's why all his failed. I don't drive mine like Granny either as he assumes I did or still do. The only success he's had is with buy back and the only time I would ever listen to anything he had to say that was of value.

Hope no hassles for you too
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
ZeeForce

Just got back from Nissan. They just marked my dipstick today and gotta go back in 1,000 miles. Exactly how hard do I need to drive my car to ensure that it should consume oil to get the new v2 engine?
Originally Posted by MollyHulk

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Don't break yours in like the Nissan hater you quoted, that's why all his failed. I don't drive mine like Granny either as he assumes I did or still do. The only success he's had is with buy back and the only time I would ever listen to anything he had to say that was of value.

Hope no hassles for you too
^+1000
Holly_the_Hulk probably got kicked off the mustang forums for being so hateful there also. He needs to get a life. He has already dug his own grave under three screen names. No one wants to hear his hate towards Nissan and such bitterness towards everyone here. He cannot even get his story straight when bashing other members here. It’s not how it’s broken-in, it’s the condition of your engine that counts. Holly_the_Hulk aka BLAKE, you effn douche bag...….FoAdb.

jammin, take your car on a 500 mile freeway trip. The steady rpms on a long road trip will consume more oil.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
bigdv519

Powertrain warranty is for 5yrs/60K. Your fine on years with a 2006 and if not over that mileage, it's still under warranty on engine.
Thanks a bunch. I'm actually at approx 57k already and I put about 12k in the last 4 months soso I'm glad I found this info now and not a couple of weeks from now. So if I'm correct, I currently have a RevUp (dont know what this means yet but i'll search it), and, if I get another engine it will be a V2 (ditto on this)??
My Z also has an aftermarket intake, intake manifold spacer, and catback exhaust system...I dont think the intake or exhaust will raise too many eyebrows at the dealership but what about the spacer?
thanks again for all the info.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:18 PM
06CPV35

Thanks a bunch. I'm actually at approx 57k already and I put about 12k in the last 4 months soso I'm glad I found this info now and not a couple of weeks from now. So if I'm correct, I currently have a RevUp (dont know what this means yet but i'll search it), and, if I get another engine it will be a V2 (ditto on this)??
My Z also has an aftermarket intake, intake manifold spacer, and catback exhaust system...I dont think the intake or exhaust will raise too many eyebrows at the dealership but what about the spacer?
thanks again for all the info.
Revup VQ is the 05 and 06 6mt on 350Z's (300hp). 05 and 07 6mt's on G35's (298hp).

Yes it will be a V2 (it's what we call it here not the dealer, so don't say V2 to them you'll get a confused look lol) V2 = second revised revup VQ replacement in here.

Go to first post here and get the TSB on the 350Z.

I was fine with my cat-back exhaust. I went back to stock air box just b/c I still had it. Know some had no problem with their intakes. Heard ppl here with no issues on spacers too, but some dealers are asshats. So it's a judgemnet call on your end how mod freindly you think your dealer is.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
^+1000
Holly_the_Hulk probably got kicked off the mustang forums for being so hateful there also. He needs to get a life. He has already dug his own grave under three screen names. No one wants to hear his hate towards Nissan and such bitterness towards everyone here. He cannot even get his story straight when bashing other members here. It’s not how it’s broken-in, it’s the condition of your engine that counts. Holly_the_Hulk aka BLAKE, you effn douche bag...….FoAdb.

jammin, take your car on a 500 mile freeway trip. The steady rpms on a long road trip will consume more oil.
Blake never has for years lol.

True story on long trips, plus the older the oil from all the blow-by (fuel dilute) the faster it consumes even under normal driving. I can attest to both just mentioned from years of monitoring my VQ burner before replacement.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 04-23-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
jammin

Blake never has for years lol.

True story on long trips, plus the older the oil from all the blow-by (fuel dilute) the faster it consumes even under normal driving. I can attest to both just mentioned from years of monitoring my VQ burner before replacement.
OOo thanks for the advice. I just so happen to be heading to Panama City, FL tonight too, but that'll only be about 300 miles there and back. Maybe thats why I consumed so much oil previously though. I did take many trips there and back before my last oil change.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
bigdv519

3 post later and I'm at the dealership (Clear Lake Nissan in Houston) and i'm being treated like royalty here. Free car wash and vac, top off all fluids, minor inspection, and a 500 mile OC test to go along with it.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
OOo thanks for the advice. I just so happen to be heading to Panama City, FL tonight too, but that'll only be about 300 miles there and back. Maybe thats why I consumed so much oil previously though. I did take many trips there and back before my last oil change.
It's a good possibility.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 PM
06CPV35

There ya go

I will add something though, being I forget sometimes 'all' driving conditions that caused more consumption on my original factory revup:

I noticed when I would go on (*cough cough*) 'spirited' twistie runs and my rpms where consistently above 3 grand to 5500+ rpm's for many many miles with WOT and forced engine braking included, it would consume more as normal b/c of that as well. Reason: high rpm's = high vacuum pull (known on these VQ's) = oil loss through valve guide seals + the usual ring blow-by.

Current V2's replacements have address both those issues for awhile now.

Safe travels...

3 post later and I'm at the dealership (Clear Lake Nissan in Houston) and i'm being treated like royalty here. Free car wash and vac, top off all fluids, minor inspection, and a 500 mile OC test to go along with it.
Unless you're consuming 'real' bad, watch it on the 500 mi return test trip request as being a useless and possibly not official. Look at the TSB mileage chart that starts at 1001 miles as the soonest to return. Also read the mileage span given instructing dealer to inform 'when' customer is to return. Think smart, play smart within TSB guidelines. Use that chart and it's columns to your advantage, not theirs to deny you qualifying (boy I have stories around that crap) I finally came back (after learning their games the hard way) not on mileage requested, but when I was a quart low and using chart mileage with 'ok/no good' that worked best for me. Watch your Z like a hawk too so they don't overfill you in beginning of testing and/or add oil before official reading on return trip

G/L

Last edited by 06CPV35; 04-24-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
undrgnd

I used to follow this thread when I realized my 35th anniversary was one of the affected engines, but I don't remember ever seeing the cause for the increased oil consumption. Did Nissan reveal whether it was timing/tuning or some component defect? After 10K miles the original engine is borderline on oil consumption, and I want to make sure that the 5 year limit is not exceeded if I need to get it replaced.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
06CPV35

Rings and later valve guide seals...all hear-say.

Nissan never officially released any reason/cause, just the TSB with different part # = revised long block from first replacements no longer used. And hear-say with this new part # replacement coming from Japan hand built.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Originally Posted by undrgnd
I used to follow this thread when I realized my 35th anniversary was one of the affected engines, but I don't remember ever seeing the cause for the increased oil consumption. Did Nissan reveal whether it was timing/tuning or some component defect? After 10K miles the original engine is borderline on oil consumption, and I want to make sure that the 5 year limit is not exceeded if I need to get it replaced.
My dealership claimed that the cylinder walls were more porous than expected and therefore the oil gets stuck in the pores and is burned off.

Im calling BS but whatever helps them sleep at night.

And ill be changing the oil for the first time since the new engine next week so i can determine how much oil was burned. Ill update later.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
bigdv519

Unless you're consuming 'real' bad, watch it on the 500 mi return test trip request as being a useless and possibly not official. Look at the TSB mileage chart that starts at 1001 miles as the soonest to return. Also read the mileage span given instructing dealer to inform 'when' customer is to return. Think smart, play smart within TSB guidelines. Use that chart and it's columns to your advantage, not theirs to deny you qualifying (boy I have stories around that crap) I finally came back (after learning their games the hard way) not on mileage requested, but when I was a quart low and using chart mileage with 'ok/no good' that worked best for me. Watch your Z like a hawk too so they don't overfill you in beginning of testing and/or add oil before official reading on return trip

G/L
Your absolutly correct. I failed to explain that my OC test is the 1001 mile test and they just want me to go in anyway at 500 miles. I got a buddy who is a tech there, but he's def not the head tech. He warned me about how the head tech might try and haggle me to believe that my consumption levels are within spec, even though, according to my oil changes, they are def not. I know this is not thread topic, but my buddy also mentioned that theresa recall on my tranny also, something about the syncros going out. Any word on that? Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
jammin

Your absolutly correct. I failed to explain that my OC test is the 1001 mile test and they just want me to go in anyway at 500 miles. I got a buddy who is a tech there, but he's def not the head tech. He warned me about how the head tech might try and haggle me to believe that my consumption levels are within spec, even though, according to my oil changes, they are def not. I know this is not thread topic, but my buddy also mentioned that theresa recall on my tranny also, something about the syncros going out. Any word on that? Thanks again.
That's interesting, the head service manager was telling me I should get my oil changed at every 3750 per the service manual too. Did most of you guys change your oils at 3,000 miles? I usually do mines after 5,000 miles.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
ZeeForce

Depends on what brand /type of oil you are using. Some oils are rated for 5k intervals. I still change mine out at 3750 even if I am using recommened 5k mi oil.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 AM
06CPV35

Not aware of syncro recall. Aware of recall on clutch slave cylinders inside tranny bellhousing on Z's with the HR block starting 2007. I'll check my recall/TSB resources, though I only have access to Infiniti's stuff, not Nissan's.
That's interesting, the head service manager was telling me I should get my oil changed at every 3750 per the service manual too. Did most of you guys change your oils at 3,000 miles? I usually do mines after 5,000 miles.
I personally only push Dino to 3750 and Synth to 5000. My dealer said 5K was more than fine when they used to service my G with Synth. My Infiniti manual states under 'normal op' conditions to service every 7500. Under 'severe op' every 3750. Technically, I could even run dino to 7500 and still be within powertrain warranty requirements, but I don't push any oil (Synth too) that far in these VQ's.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion