Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
Guess what I managed to get faxed over to me today....

If you guessed the arbitration decision, you're correct!

I need to check my paperwork when I get back home because I'm not sure what confidentiality I'm bound to off hand, but I'll tell you this... I will be selling my upgrades have have a lot of extra space in my garage very soon.

I'll let you know if I can share more details. I suggest anyone considering this route continue to fight the good fight. As consumers we deserve better.

wooooooohoooooooooo! congrats bofa!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Interlagos Fire

Originally Posted by sry110
I have a 2006 6MT that I purchased new (with 11 miles on it) in March 2006. The car now has about 18k miles on the clock and it has a JWT Popcharger. I never really suspected an oil consumption problem and, admittedly, have not faithfully checked the oil level indicated on the dipstick between oil changes. I do however faithfully have my oil changed by the local Nissan dealer every 3k-4k miles. Recently (past few weeks) the car has been hesitating when starting for the first time in the morning on a cool day (say 50 to 60 degrees Farenheit ambient temperature). I turn the key and the starter goes, but then the engine seems to choke a bit before firing up. It only happens on the first start of the day, or sometimes if I drive to work and don't start it up again until 8 or 9 hours later when I leave to come home. I never noticed this before, regardless of whether it was the previous summer or during the winter. It always fired right up.

So anyway at first I thought it might be due to a dirty MAF sensor so I used some CRC MAF sensor cleaner, but that didn't seem to make a difference. As I mentioned before this hesitation only occurs the first time I start the car after a long period (I would estimate 8 hours or more) of sitting. Every subsequent start after shorter periods of time is fine. My suspicion is that when the car sits for a long time, such as overnight, all of the oil settles down and drains off of the internal engine components that live above the oil level (wherever that level happens to be). Once the engine turns over the oil sloshes around and lubricates enough of the parts to allow the engine to run. If I only wait a couple of hours between starts I think there is still enough residual lubrication to allow the engine to start normally.

Does this explanation make sense to anyone? I am going to revert back to the stock airbox tonight so that I can try to definitely rule out some MAF problem due to my JWT popcharger. If the problem persists, and I suspect it will, then I will be taking it to the dealer to being the oil consumption test procedure. It's too hard for me to tell wha's going on in there based on the oil level shown on the dip stick, and if it is a problem I want to nip it in the bud.

I had similiar problem about 9 months ago. It turns out to be the crank position sensor according to the dealer and they replaced it. I tried to start the engine in the morning and it just cranks. For about 5-8 seconds before starting reluctantly. Then I lost the power steering after engine starts, weird- I know! Take it to your dealer and have them check it out for you if car is still under warrenty.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
RBlover69

im curious im awaiting a call tommorow for my vehicle but herd nothing of a updated engine etc. I tried to even call service and they looked into it and informed me that there is no updated engine only another revup that they can order and pray it doesnt have the issues. Im really getting pissed off at this seriously they have until tommorow to call me back before i park this car at universal and leave it there and demand my damn money back this is getting insane. Im probably gonna proceed with the lemon law if i dont get a call tommorow man. I dont have time for them to put another revup motor in the car and then me find the same issue thats really just insanity it like there gonna placebo u until they finally couch up. Im gonna try for a 07 man because this is just insane.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
bremboboy

Is it normal for a (previously) well respected company like Nissan to lie and give different stories to dealers, customers, and their own employees?

Last edited by bremboboy; 09-02-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bremboboy
Is it normal for a (previously) well respected company like Nissan to lie and give different stories to dealers, customers, and their own employees? WTF
Normally the sign that they are going in the wrong direction for sure.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by RBlover69
im curious im awaiting a call tommorow for my vehicle but herd nothing of a updated engine etc. I tried to even call service and they looked into it and informed me that there is no updated engine only another revup that they can order and pray it doesnt have the issues. Im really getting pissed off at this seriously they have until tommorow to call me back before i park this car at universal and leave it there and demand my damn money back this is getting insane. Im probably gonna proceed with the lemon law if i dont get a call tommorow man. I dont have time for them to put another revup motor in the car and then me find the same issue thats really just insanity it like there gonna placebo u until they finally couch up. Im gonna try for a 07 man because this is just insane.
Well. I have no clue what to believe at this point. I was called last Thursday that the engine shipped. I have yet to here from the dealer that they sent it to. If it were just an identical rev-up, then it would have been here by now. I do need to get some answers though. We all know that a new unchanged rev-up will not solve the problem.

I have every right at this point to say "F U Nissan, replace the car!"

The final repair attempt was supposed to be completed by 5/7. I know it only takes a few days to ship the engine. This is insane!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by bofa
Guess what I managed to get faxed over to me today....

If you guessed the arbitration decision, you're correct!

I need to check my paperwork when I get back home because I'm not sure what confidentiality I'm bound to off hand, but I'll tell you this... I will be selling my upgrades have have a lot of extra space in my garage very soon.

I'll let you know if I can share more details. I suggest anyone considering this route continue to fight the good fight. As consumers we deserve better.
Congrats Bofa!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
zmedic16

i wonder whats going to end up happening with us?..... i guess we gonna get buy backs??? or they going to attemp to fix this issue.. anything from nna? anything from the advisors??
this is gonna suck, i had big plans for my z.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 PM
bofa

Thanks for the congrats guys.

I really did like the car but in the end it doesn't feel right and NNA is not handling it properly. I'll pass on purchasing another Nissan for now. Maybe the GT-R will change my mind.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aren21
I finally got a normal reading from the dipstick. I checked it after the car sat overnight, and in about 900 miles of pretty hard driving, it only burned about 1/4 quart. IMO this still isnt acceptable, but its going to be difficult convincing nissan that its a problem. So this would be 3/4 quart in 3k miles. I was beating on it so it would consume a little more than usual durring the consumption test but it didnt work out. There has to be more than 1 flaw with this motor. Some people are consuming A LOT of oil, yet my car consumes a lot less. Or maybe its just 1 flaw, but the severity varies. For example maybe on some motors, the rings seat better than others??
I would almost give my left nut to only use 1/4 a quart every 900 miles and never any more.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:22 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Chad68
I would almost give my left nut to only use 1/4 a quart every 900 miles and never any more.
+1
Old 05-12-2007, 10:49 AM
aren21

Originally Posted by Chad68
lol, ya but look on the bright side, once nissan actually comes up with a fix, youre better off having more severe oil consumption beacuse its going to be harder for them to deny theres a problem. Its going to be tough persuading them that mine burns oil excessively.BTW its been about 1900 miles, and its still barely at 1/4 quart low
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by aren21
lol, ya but look on the bright side, once nissan actually comes up with a fix, youre better off having more severe oil consumption beacuse its going to be harder for them to deny theres a problem. Its going to be tough persuading them that mine burns oil excessively.BTW its been about 1900 miles, and its still barely at 1/4 quart low
That's assuming they come up with a fix and are not just BSing us and stalling for warranties to expire. I would like to think that is not the case, but a company their size with their engineering expertise, still out there clueless?

John
Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Mid117

I'm currently parting out my '06 rev-up, I'm also getting the oil consumption

Next week I'm bringin it to the dealer, let's see what kind of BS they spew out.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
zmedic16

well i been throwin some ideas around of a setup to somewhat help maintain the engine.. im gonna take a wild guess if they dont replace the engines/or fix the issue wich they would have to do because of warranty and not bein in proper working order. i was thinking of adding an oil pan spacer or the AAM oil pan wich increases the oil capacity to 1 liter, adding some oil cooling components wich might add about half a quart, and a nice oil catch can. idk im just throwin some ideas around, i dont want to get rid of this car and i was hoping to go with that STS turbo kit when its officialy released and final tested.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:32 PM
bofa

I talked to the BBB rep late yesterday and she told me it's my case and I can discuss what I want. I will start a new topic in the main forum for Lemon Law results.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Bat Z

I just found out yesterday these cars had an oil consumption problem when the dealer realized my car was 4 quarts low. The service consultant said it was normal to burn a quart every 1000 miles!!!! I explained that its a new car...owned 5 months with less than 5000 miles on it. Why would I think it was consuming oil? How was I supposed to find out? I asked if Nissan was working on a fix...he said there is no fix because there is no problem...WTF!!!! I told him of all the poor reports on the forum and he said people here overreact!!!!??? Everyone I've described this to says its ridiculous that a new car should burn oil like its got 150 thousand miles on it. The cost and time involved is crazy for a car that is my daily driver. The idea that Nissan knows about this and is keeping quiet to avoid costs is very underhanded. I've started with a letter to the general manager. Where I go from there? Who knows? The service consultant said many new cars use oil like that. Volvo to name one. Still, if thats a fact of life, shouldnt that be told when purchasing? Its not in the owners manual. Sheesh!!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM
RBlover69

if i dont get a damn answer by this week im def getting a lawyer involved.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:27 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Bat Z
I just found out yesterday these cars had an oil consumption problem when the dealer realized my car was 4 quarts low. The service consultant said it was normal to burn a quart every 1000 miles!!!! I explained that its a new car...owned 5 months with less than 5000 miles on it. Why would I think it was consuming oil? How was I supposed to find out? I asked if Nissan was working on a fix...he said there is no fix because there is no problem...WTF!!!! I told him of all the poor reports on the forum and he said people here overreact!!!!??? Everyone I've described this to says its ridiculous that a new car should burn oil like its got 150 thousand miles on it. The cost and time involved is crazy for a car that is my daily driver. The idea that Nissan knows about this and is keeping quiet to avoid costs is very underhanded. I've started with a letter to the general manager. Where I go from there? Who knows? The service consultant said many new cars use oil like that. Volvo to name one. Still, if thats a fact of life, shouldnt that be told when purchasing? Its not in the owners manual. Sheesh!!!!
Well. This is typical dealership spew!

1) If you burn oil, it is a problem. If you burn less than 1 qt per 1000 miles, it does not mean you do not have a problem.

2) My general rule has been that if you need to add oil between oil changes it is excessive. That would mean that even 1/3 qt per 1000 is excessive.

3) My car is in now getting the supposed "fix". Stay tuned to see if this actually fixes it.

4) My opinion is that ALL 06 MT cars have this issue or at least fall within the general rule in #2. It is a design defect in the rev-up engine. There are people that say they have no oil loss. My guess is that they have oil loss, but nothing that concerns them.

5) Letter to the dealer will not get anything done. They really do not care. Call consumer affairs and start making a pest out of yourself. That worked for me.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by Bat Z
I am currently having the oil consumption test done, and this is my daily driver too. It is unfathomable that the dealer thinks it is OK for a new car to burn 1 quart every 1000 miles, or that a car could be 4 quarts low without telling you! Is this really overreacting?

My previous POS (according to this forum) 1999 Mustang GT never burned any oil in 7 years. Just a thought.

BTW, which dealership fed you this? Get them to document that the car was 4 quarts low, and then find a new dealership to do the oil consumption test. Never go back to the old dealership again for anything.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion