Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOrtega
Have any of you, or anyone you know received one of these new engines from Japan?
I have one of those now

Was the new engine an exact replacement, i.e. Rev-up engine?
The new engine is supposed to have different pistons and rings.

Did the new engine burn oil?
I am unable to say at this point. The only thing I know is that I was down 1.5 qts in 300 miles, but it could have been dealer screwup.

Did it solve the issue?
Stayed tuned. We shall see what happens. I will be driving around a lot this weekend, so I should have some kind of answer to that fairly soon.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:36 AM
MrOrtega

Stayed tuned. We shall see what happens. I will be driving around a lot this weekend, so I should have some kind of answer to that fairly soon.[/QUOTE]

ok...well drive the heck out of it this weekend and let us know how it does. Can you do 500 miles this weekend?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
dbasal

Stayed tuned. We shall see what happens. I will be driving around a lot this weekend, so I should have some kind of answer to that fairly soon.

ok...well drive the heck out of it this weekend and let us know how it does. Can you do 500 miles this weekend?
I should have no problem at all reaching 500 miles since I topped it off.

To give you an idea, the car came in last June 12th and I now have 21,000 miles on it.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
RBlover69

yea db if your engine works out. i wonder if dyno numbers will tell a diff story. So far i dyno'd at 251 rwhp i would literally leave the car there at the delership if the engine dynos anywher near my 05 did at 238 . I wonder if they could elaborate on these motors flaw instead of vague statements and how this revised revup solves these issues. To me they just tried a little to hard to reach this magical 297 bhp number at the price of efficiency.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by RBlover69
yea db if your engine works out. i wonder if dyno numbers will tell a diff story. So far i dyno'd at 251 rwhp i would literally leave the car there at the delership if the engine dynos anywher near my 05 did at 238 . I wonder if they could elaborate on these motors flaw instead of vague statements and how this revised revup solves these issues. To me they just tried a little to hard to reach this magical 297 bhp number at the price of efficiency.
251 is pretty high for a rev-up I think, or at least in the 99th percentile. I have been told that a "typical" stock rev-up is right around the number you gave for your 05.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
RBlover69

not at all man on a dyno jet that shld be the norm from what i seen
Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
MrOrtega

Default Oil burner 2006

I just spoke to my Lemon Law Atty...he said to keep asking for the buy-back...do not accept the new engine. So the fun begins...we will file in court soon...very soon.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Mid117

I wish nissan would simply buy back my Z for the full price...It'd save me a huge hassle

I've already had my tranny replaced....now the long-block, what's next?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Bat Z

I went to Performance Nissan in Duarte. The were having a 50% off sale on installs so I had a set of Borla headers installed. I told John (he's the aftermarket service tech there) about my oil consumption problem that Power Nissan in Torrance said was normal break in. He said it wasn't normal and he didn't know why dealers say that. He offered an oil consumption test and said if it was a problem after 4 or 5 tests...I'd get a new motor.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
doctorshumes

Finally decided to document my oil consumption by sarting an oil consumption test. I burn right at 1 qt/1K miles so we will see. Hope to hear back about whether or not the new engines actually fix the problem. Cant imagine what options Nissan would have if they dont.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
doublins

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
Finally decided to document my oil consumption by sarting an oil consumption test. I burn right at 1 qt/1K miles so we will see. Hope to hear back about whether or not the new engines actually fix the problem. Cant imagine what options Nissan would have if they dont.
Same here- I burn about 1.5 qts per 1000 miles driven, and started the Oil Consumption process 2,000 miles ago. Car has been in twice, and I've been told "Nissan is aware of this problem and is working on a fix, involving a revised engine, we'll have word as of mid-June."

So, I have done extensive research into MD lemon law. I don't think I'll have any trouble going through with declaring the car a lemon- since I have been having everything well documented, and no fix is immediately available, I am submitting my letter to the manufacturer and the claim to the state AG's consumer protection office this week. The Consumer Protection Office was so helpful- they were so, so, so, helpful. I was really impressed with them.

=Chris
Old 05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by dbasal
I should have no problem at all reaching 500 miles since I topped it off.

To give you an idea, the car came in last June 12th and I now have 21,000 miles on it.

We are all waiting for an update, any good news?

John
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 AM
MechaGodzilla

In my opinion the replacement engine isn't an option. That may not fix the problem either. I guess we shall see. I am pushing for a buy back.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 AM
pulser8

It's amazing what you can learn when you read. I've noticed since the date of purchase that the car behaves strangely when it's time for an oil change. I've experienced the rattling/clinging noise though it was after about 6,000 miles without an oil change. Not sure if this is normal or not but I believe an oil consumption test is in my future. Anyone local to Richmond, VA had these issues?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To make matters even more confusing

Well I am happy, sad, confused and excited to report that my first consumption was 1qt low at 1700 miles, must have been a dealer screw up, because I drove the hell out of my car over the weekend driving through the mountains from VA 840 miles to St. Louis and back.

I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT MY OIL LEVEL IS STILL VERY CLOSE TO FULL. ITS AT THE EXACT SAME SPOT AS WHEN I LEFT THE DEALER FROM THE 1QT LOW OIL CONSUM CHECK ON THE NEW ENG FROM JAPAN.
MAYBE THE NEW ENGINES FROM JAPAN ARE FIXING THE ISSUE? THE NEWER ONES, NOT THE OLDER ONES FROM 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR AGO? WHO KNOWS?

TO BAD I WILL BE DRIVING A RAM SRT10, JEEP GRAND SRT8 OR LANDROVER LR2 BY THIS WEEKEND.

Trying my luck with something else...for 650 a month, they can still kiss my buttocks for keeping my car for over 30 days and almost killing me when my engine blew at 70 mph with only 1700 miles after an oil change was cmpleted with no oil in it!

This also sucks because I just got my BETTER B package in the mail today! SHIZZIL!

I will keep you all posted for clarity...

I would not run synthetic in these cars ever!

PULSER8 I am in Northern VA

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 05-30-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 AM
dbasal

Default 1000 Mile Update

OK. Time for an update. I have now put on 1000 miles (and killed about 10 million love bugs) since I topped off the oil (about 1800 on the new engine). Here is the breakdown at each interval I checked the oil:

200: 0 loss
400: 0 loss
600: 0 loss
800: 0 loss
1000: 1/4 qt loss

Yesterday, I thought for sure I would be posting here with good news, but I can not say at this point. Some people would look at this and say "1/4 qt in 1000 miles is great in comparison", but it is really 1/4 qt in 200 miles and I have no clue why all of a sudden it dropped. Everything was going absolutely perfect.

I'll keep watching it now that it may have decided to burn some.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM
The_man_in_Black

Default Consumption test

I just went and had my oil changed, I went to the dealer that I bought my car at, but I have a feeling I am going to end up switching, They acted like they had never heard of the problem and said that 1 qt in 2000 miles is fine, I'm gonna call bs on that remark. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt and finish the consumption test with them, I'm just gonna make sure I'm right there with them when they are checking that oil
Thanks for all the info guys, keep puttin it up
Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 PM
98sr20ve

2) My general rule has been that if you need to add oil between oil changes it is excessive. That would mean that even 1/3 qt per 1000 is excessive.

Edit

4) My opinion is that ALL 06 MT cars have this issue or at least fall within the general rule in #2. It is a design defect in the rev-up engine. There are people that say they have no oil loss. My guess is that they have oil loss, but nothing that concerns them.
My 06 6MT does not burn enough oil to warrant refilling at the 3500mile interval. It is at 1/2 stick now (+ a little actually), it was at nearly the same mark 3000 miles ago.

I read this thread and I see post from people who say they have the problem but I think 1/2 the people don't even know how to check the oil properly. You can get a great deal of variation on this engine if you don't check it the same every time. I only check mine in the morning after sitting overnight. If I check any othe time it has not sat a long time I get wild variations from my base morning reading.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
MrOrtega

Default Oil burner 2006

I'm near the end of my 700ml oil test...it's now at about 500 miles...very little, if any oil burned...they may have over filled the mf'er when we started...I may need to do another test.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday, I thought for sure I would be posting here with good news, but I can not say at this point. Some people would look at this and say "1/4 qt in 1000 miles is great in comparison", but it is really 1/4 qt in 200 miles and I have no clue why all of a sudden it dropped. Everything was going absolutely perfect.

I'll keep watching it now that it may have decided to burn some.
Don't forget with a new engine the rings need time to seat. So don't get discouraged until you break in the motor a little more.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion